A Decorating Tip

 Shearing day is right around the corner.  Temperatures are to dip pretty low Wednesday night and then begin to warm up again.  It is almost May, after all.


Though it is always a struggle getting the sheepy girls to the barn for shearing day (it takes a village!), it is always such a relief for them to shed their winter's growth. 

 It looks like this year's growth has been almost two inches!  These two were built for arctic conditions.  I never worry about them in the winter.

Lately, I've been working on trimming their hooves whenever I can catch them lying down.  As you can see, Faith has both her feet tucked beneath her.  That's because I just trimmed both of her front hooves and she is telling me that "enough is enough!"  The sheep shearer will finish trimming their hooves when he shears them.

For some reason, this winter they grew a lot of hoof.

I've been working on trimming pig toes as well, lately. 


Evenings seem to be a good time for this activity, as the girls are more likely to lie down for me.  As they lie there (usually with a cat on their belly... the perfect masseuse) I work on their feet.  They never seem to mind me fussing with them, but are more apt to stay lying down longer if they are in the middle of a massage.

Luckily, there always seems to be a cat who's up for the task!

I am so loving this spring.  It seems like this particular spring is the loveliest we have had in years.  


Perhaps it's because of the last year and all of its trials and tribulations.  Perhaps it's because we had a particularly long, snowy winter.  

Whatever the reason,  I am enjoying  each second that I am out and about.

All of the bulbs and flowers that I planted around Maven Haven are blossoming; as are the apple blossoms of the trees nearby.  As I head to the barn and pass by the shed, I smile at the scene.  It's slowly becoming what I had envisioned.

I don't know about you, but I am always trying to figure out the best pillow combination for a well-dressed bed.

We 

I believe I may have stumbled upon the perfect pillow placement.

Take two matching pillows with shams and place one long pillow in front of them, and then top the whole thing off with one sleeping kitty. 

Perfect!!  Perhaps I should write a book about home decor... maybe, "Decorating With Cats"?

Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
the bed would not stay neat for long if you had two chow chows in your house and they saw that kitty! we might get snow tomorrow and i have to put all of my plants back in the garage. we will be below freezing with high winds for 3 days.
Marcia LaRue said…
OMG ... the blooms and blossoms are just so brilliant and bright!
I agree ... every bed should have a kitty on it! Wish I could have one, but the residence I live in -- No Pets Allowed!!! Ugh!!
Such a beautiful, peaceful visit to BHA again this morning! Cold and snow on the ground here in S. CO this morning!!
Lu said…
I so enjoy your blog, the farm, the animals, all of it! Thanks
phyllis Schmitz said…
So happy to still be getting your wonderful blog.
Special photos today.
littlemancat said…
The color of the quince - wow! And the blue of the other flowers - phlox? Or what we call mountain pink? Even when it's not pink - haha!
My kitty also considers it's his job to be an extra pillow on the bed.
Mary
EDGAR C. BEARD said…
REFRESHING...YOU ARE JUSR AMAZING !!! THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO VERY MUCH...MY WIFE AND I HAVE BEEN MOWING ON TOP OF THE HILL..MOWING A WALKING RIDING TRAIL...BUT..I MOW HIGE WIDE TRAILS....SMILNG...IK WAS MOWING BETWEEN 4/5 HOURS...SHE MOWED WHAT SHE USUALLY MOWS AND WENT DOEN HILL TO THE HOUSE...I MOWED ANOTHE COUPLE OF HOURS ..I SURE ENJOY THIESE !!! YOU ARE AMAZING !!

EDGAR C. BEARD
Your pictures and your colors are amazing! Love that Bobby cat too...and the inside cat too. So shearing time has come around again.....sounds like you'll be getting a lot of wool! Those two girls should feel a lot lighter after that! Such a nice time of the year....always fun that you share it all with us.