Guilt

 Anyone with animals will agree with me... animals have a unique way of making us feel guilty.  I am sure that they do it on purpose as well!  After all... animals are much smarter than many believe.

For instance:  because all of my equines are a bit too chubby at the end of this winter, I have placed them on a diet.  I am not starving them, but their liberal winter portions have been reduced a bit.  With colder weather moving out and spring around the corner, they do not need the extra fuel for their furnaces.  They have retained their wooly winter coats and their generous layers of fat will keep them toasty through spring.  They get their meals, as always... but no in between snacks and grazing time is only generous in the almost-bare front pasture.  Time in the grassy upper pastures is more limited.


It's for their own good... truly.

Moonbeam would have you believe that he is starving out of his mind.  How does he get his point across?  Why, by eating his own poop, of course.  I am convinced he does this to make me feel guilty.  He would have me believe that he is wasting away.  A photo is evidence enough that he is not wasting away... quite the opposite!

Lately, the sheep - who get liberal helpings of hay twice daily - have begun eating snow when their hay feeder is empty.


I asked my wooly chubbins if they thought this behavior might get them more hay.  I assured them... it won't work.  I love them that much!

If these sheepy girls get any chubbier, they will roll down the hill into the front pasture this spring.   Besides, when the hay feeder is empty... it's a good time to chew the cud!  


Actually, I am sure they are just getting a good frosty drink this way... even though their bucket of clean water is just a stone's throw away!

Yesterday, as I was working around the farm, I passed the old log cabin and noticed that a portion of chinking is missing from the second floor wall.  You can see right through to the interior!

It looks like re-chinking the old cabin will be top on the spring To-Do list.  It's a fairly easy task, but one that must be done to maintain the integrity of our historic building.  And besides, we don't want a lot of little critters as squatters... cracking their nuts and leaving all the shells around the inside of the house!

The spring chore list is growing.  This week is supposed to be a warm one... so perhaps I can get a jump start on the work.  Beginning with this....

Comments

Lisa said…
I know what you mean about the guilt. My dachshunds are far from starved, yet the way they act I have them on a starvation diet. And my mom doesn't help either saying how cruel I am to only feed them twice a day with several treats! I really should be reported to animal cruelty. Oh my! One of them loves eating poop, a nasty dog trait, but it's the perfect opportunity for my mom to say that they're starving. Actually Grenouille and Simonne are overweight which is bad for wieners. It's bad for their backs. So they need a diet...like their mom..me!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
you can put all of your starving animals together and collectively they are nowhere near as hungry as willie. my poor little 95 lb chow chow is starving to death.
Oh animals are funny! They do like to make you feel guilty. But I don't because I know it is best for them. When my dad was still with us he had his mini daschund weighing 21.5 lbs and the little guy was having trouble walking. He wouldn't let me put him on a diet so when we took him to the vet, he put him on a diet. Dad didn't live long enough to see him get down to the 13lbs he is now. This little guy will be 17 in June and he's probably healthier now than he has been in a long time. Yes he tried the guilt but I didn't give up. He was more active too after losing the weight. Plus I took him for lots of walks so it helped both of us. Your last photo of the meme make me laugh because it's true.
Jeannie said…
My Border Collie, Charlie, is 10 years old an has arthritic knees and a torn ACL. I had to get his weight down to help him out and yes, there was plenty of guilt to go around when the treats stopped coming. Tough love!
This N That said…
Diets all around..Yes, they have a way of letting you know their disapproval..LOL..hugs
JustGail said…
That last photo is so true. Especially when you don't have a dog.
Lynne said…
I am impressed with the cleanup you do . . .
It, in part, adds to beehaven’s impressive style.
You Beverly and Jack are stellar in your care and love
in so many ways. Yard poop cleanup is one of them.

I was reminded of the laziness of some walkers in our
neighborhood this past weekend when I was walking our great grand dog.
Several walkers, several dogs . . .
There are consistent walkers who do not “pick up” after their dogs.
I made a trek along the area near us. It is frustrating to find the “piles!”
(which I picked up!)
Not sure what to do about it. But it needs to be addressed.