Winter's Inspiration

The thing about winter is this: 

When all looks asleep or dead, even - life lies waiting, just beneath the surface.  The energy, tucked beneath a blanket of snow, is abuzz just inches beneath the frozen crust of the earth and is growing each day, until that day when it breaks free from Winter's bonds and brings forth new life.   There has been no winter that was not followed by spring.  Spring relies upon Winter, as Summer on Spring.


I love the austere beauty of this time of year.  From inside warm outerwear, I embrace the cold on my cheeks and in my lungs and am thankful that I can experience this world in such sharp contrasts.

I refuse to see winter as an imposition, for without this...

there would be no this!


Isn't there something about snow that takes us back to our childhood?  To memories of sledding and snow forts and snowball battles... soggy woolen mittens with frozen fingers tucked inside...rosy cheeked smiles staring up at the sky from angels fashioned beneath... the warm treats that awaited inside the house... so many wonderful memories.


 And though this time of year brings with it hard work...
I choose to lose myself in the beauty and the memories it inspires.





Comments

Anonymous said…
Some 43 years ago, I learned how to embrace winter. I was in my mid 20's, in MN, but I was out skiing, sledding, skating, and playing games of broom hockey. What you and C.S. Lewis have to say about winter is true...go out and enjoy it.
Mick
This N That said…
I miss the fun things of winter. Ice-skating, sledding, snowmen,etc.Now it’s a matter of making it through another winter without breaking somethingl...lol. When it’s all said and done it’s pretty much my favorite time of year.. Beautiful post. Hugs
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i will always live somewhere that has four seasons. what gifts they are! i am even trying to make myself like summer!
Great words today and pictures too, Bev. You're so right. I love every season and while I wish winter was a wee bit shorter, I accept the fact that I live where I live and a long winter is a part of that. Thanks for reminding me of the downright wonder of each season. Such a blessing.
daisy g said…
I so agree. When we are fortunate enough to get snow, I eat it up. I feel young again and it reminds me of growing up in Illinois, with ample snow days each year to make us miss school.

Stunning photos, Bev!
Enjoy.