Red Snow?

 It seems we are caught in a cycle of frigid weather with repeating snows.  

Another inch fell yesterday morning.  Just about the time that an old snow starts to look dingy, a new one covers everything up and makes the world clean and bright again.  It's lovely.  (If we don't proclaim the wonder of these little snowstorms, we might bemoan the disappearance of the earth beneath our feet.)  Ice cleats are the fashion statement of the month around here!

Every time it snows, I come across this phenomenon in the dry lot. 

Red (or orange) urine in the snow. 

 Many new horse owners have telephoned their veterinarians in their first winter, fearful that their horse is passing bloody urine.  It's a common question asked of vets.   And happily the answer puts all at ease.

This is a completely normal phenomenon that occurs after the urine is exposed to sunshine.  Plant metabolites, known as pyrocatechines, within the urine, react with the sun and turn shades of pink, orange, or red.  Personally, I think that every new horse should come with a tag stating this possibility.  New horse owners would gratefully be saved from undue stress and anxiety!

With yesterday's snow, I have precious little to share with you that hasn't already been shared.  I fear our blog is becoming redundant this winter.  And so, I shall make today's offering a short one.  Just a few moments from yesterday....

We are always greeted at the barn by this... Beatrix #1... the friendly one.

Since we've had a steady diet of snow these past few weeks, the hens spend their afternoons gossiping in what I like to call the coffee shop... the goat shed.

Every now and then they travel down the shoveled path in search of anything interesting... and sadly finding... not much.

The guineas and runner ducks remain strange bedfellows.  With all of the snow on the ground and no bare ground for them to roam to, we are keeping them in the duck pen so that everyone has a warm place to sleep each night.  Otherwise, the guineas would be roosting in the tree behind the barn in this frigid weather.

Luckily, they tolerated each other's company just fine.

The first thaw will be a wonderful day, as I am sure our feathered friends have cabin fever!

Chester...

is our "roller".  He's the first one to find something dead and roll in it so as to get the stink onto the fur around his neck.  It's his special cologne.  And it's disgusting.   Here is his latest find... a flat, desiccated, frozen garter snake.  Yuckkkkkk, Chester!

Bobby, our garage cat, rides to the barn each time we head our for chores.  He sits in my lap and I cuddle him and pet him and give him little ear kisses.  Sometimes he has breakfast at the barn with the rest of the barn cats, and sometimes he just heads back home again.  Come afternoon and evening he repeats this... just riding along for his lovin' sessions.  He's a sweetheart.  And if I weren't so fearful that Ivy would try to murder him, I would make him a house cat as well.

He has a warm bed in the garage and fresh food and water.  Whenever we are outside he is with us.  He also has the freedom to roam wherever and whenever he wants.  So, in spite of being relegated to the garage, I think he could not be much happier.


Comments

colleen said…
Good morning. I come along to BHA every morning and I'm guilty as charged for not commenting, at times. I'm here, I'm here so don't ever give up blogging. You are the best.xoxoxox
daisy g said…
The snow looks lovely. We were blessed with a bit last weekend, but it was gone by the end of the day. What a gift.

I never get tired of hearing about your day-to-day.
How about doing a post about raising chickens? As a new chook keeper, I am still learning and would enjoy hearing about your years of experience. Are there any books on the subject that you would recommend? Yes, the internet is out there for my perusal, but I like having printed reference materials available.

Enjoy the sloshing!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
we got about 8 inches yesterday with more on the way tonight!!!
Steph said…
Oh, I never find your posts boring. Love reading about your day to day activities! I had not heard that factoid about urine and turning a reddish color, very interesting! We don't have a bunch of snow, but it has been cold, we are having January weather in February as our temps are going below zero with windchills horribly below the donut mark. Stay warm!
littlemancat said…
Your posts are never,ever boring! Move that idea right out of there - a visit to the farm is a treat, always.
I do feel sorry for the feathered friends - how happy they'll be when they can scratch around in the grass and earth again.
Love Bobby - is he a Maine Coon cat?
Mary
This N That said…
I have not had a lot of luck with ice cleats..They are very slippery on macadam and concrete and often come off in deep snow..Other than that ..they work perfectly!!
Interesting pee story..
Your blog is far from redundant..Mine on the other hand is in a permanent state of redundancy..Oh well!!
I don't remember the goats having a shed..Is it behind the chickens?
Oh Chester..at least it was frozen..It's amazing what they find to roll in..the stinkier the better..
Bobby reminds me of Max in many ways..such a dear soul..
More snow tonight...maybe not much for you??Every three days...
Hugs
deodar said…
For This n That - I have a pair of Ice Bug boots, they have studs built right into the sole and they're warm too. Got them on line, I think they're from Sweden or Switzerland, not slippery on bare pavement but I wouldn't rec. them being worn in the house!
Lynne said…
Chester . . . that is yuck . . .
Animals are just a bit weird sometimes. . .

Nice to have no snow days and then a bit of fresh snow
to brighten things up again . . .
Katmom said…
Hey Bev, Enjoy your snow,,, I am enjoying my flip flop weather.. but in an odd way, I do miss my ranchette and the snow..
I have to laugh,, my farm cousin has a dog that is a 'roller'.. and Fritzy comes home reeking something nasty from out in the vineyards.. lol!
Spring is on the way... yippee!
Until then stay warm.
>^..^<