First Snow...The Beginning

Cue the orchestra... sleigh bells start ringing in 4/4 time... 🎵chorus chimes in 🎶 "Just hear those sleigh bells jingling, ring, ting, tingling too......"🎶

Come on, it is lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you!! 


As I sit at my computer writing, while a pot of chicken soup simmers on the stove and a fire crackles in the fireplace, it's snowing like nobody's business outside.  We've had about three inches in the first four hours of the storm.  It's a light, fluffy snow that is blanketing the farm in instant winter.  And it's looking quite Christmassy here right now.  We haven't had a white Christmas in many years.  The few that I remember having as a child were definitely the most special.  This year, though a strange year, will be special as well... not filled with family, friends, and parties... but special because of the wonderful memories that I have stored away.... stored away for a year such as this.

I am taking time during these early hours of the snowstorm to just sit inside by the fire and enjoy the ambiance.  Later this evening, the work of clearing snow and shoveling will begin.  We are not going to wait until the storm is over, Thursday morning to work on snow removal.  At that point, it would become an overwhelming task.  Rather, we will keep up with the task throughout tonight... doing it in smaller increments.

As for the animals... everyone has shelter if they choose.  Although, the horses seem to just enjoy being outside in the elements... gathering inches of snow on top of their backs... a good indication that the insulation of their coats are keeping them warm beneath the snow (otherwise it would be melting.). 

I'll brush them off when we head out to give them their last feeding for the night.


We decided this morning, before the snow began falling, to keep all of the birds in their yards.  

By mid afternoon, we closed them up in the warmth of their houses so that they would stay warm and dry.  Luckily, we were able to coax the guineas into the duck house so that they, too, could stay out of the snow.


There is nothing more peaceful than the farm during a snowstorm. 


 I will gather some video footage of the frozen beauty as we work around the farm and share it with you tomorrow.



Comments

colleen said…
So peaceful. I didn't want this post to end. I wanted it to be a chapter long. xoxo
jaz@octoberfarm said…
we got our snow too! over a foot here and i am thrilled!
The JR said…
We saw the snow on the news. I told my husband that the blogger with the ponies was getting hammered. He said where does she live. I said duh huh, I forget.
Marcia LaRue said…
I love watching the snow fall ... so peaceful!
That last picture looks like a Christmas card ... beautiful!
Sunny and warming up to 48° today in S. CO ... No snow forecast for Christmas here! :o(
littlemancat said…
Beautiful! And lots of extra duties to care for your sweet friends...I know that they appreciate it.
Mary
This N That said…
We were lucky..about 9 inches..roads are clear now..just wet..Phew..made it thru another one!!Hugs
farm buddy said…
I got 40 inches of new snow at my farm overnight! The dogs are not happy, as it has put a real crimp in Frisbee playing.
Oh that last picture really got to me. Wow. To be sitting inside by a beautiful lit tree, looking out on the snow falling. That says it all. Thank you for sharing that! Just awesome.