I Love A Happy Ending

Each evening, the last thing we do before retiring,


is to visit all of our animal friends to make sure
they have everything that they need to get through the night
comfortably.


Waters are refreshed, animals are fed, manure is cleaned up,
and the birds are safely closed in their houses.


Over the years we have modified the bird houses to 
ensure that they stay as cool as possible.
This has meant the addition of windows or
screen doors on the front of each house to 
allow for adequate air flow.

Sunday night as we were rounding up the runner ducks,
we noticed that another one had gone missing.
We do a head count every evening.
Our twelve runner ducks had dwindled to ten.
(you might remember that one disappeared several weeks ago...
and has not returned)


It was a sad evening... the loss of one of the runners
on top of the two hens lost to the heat that afternoon.

Yesterday morning we decided to keep the ducks inside their own yard...
not wanting to suffer any more losses.
We filled their swimming pool with cold water and kept
the gate closed.
Their yard is full of weeds and grass and for most of the day it is 
shaded.

When we finished the rest of morning chores, 
we headed out into the front pasture to pick up manure.


The sheep and pigs were busily grazing in the 
(relative) cool of the morning.


I stopped for a chat with MaryAnn-


who is always happy to see me,


and flop onto her side for a belly rub and some chit-chat.


Meanwhile, everyone else just kept right on eating.  


A few moments later, we heard some commotion coming 
from the duck yard.
Lots of loud "quack, quack, quack"... and we immediately
knew what was happening.

Suspicious that our little #11 duck had come home
after a long night on the lam,
and sure enough, we were right!


Happy that no harm had befallen our little gal,
we opened the gate so she could join her family.


Everyone greeted her, then quickly ran out
the front door to enjoy the freedom of the day.


As usual, the two groups split... elders went south,
youngsters headed west.
(It's the same every morning.)


I love stories with happy endings...
especially during these oppressive days of summer heat,
when so much of my day is spent worrying about my precious friends.

I spent the hot hours of yesterday making more masks
and listing them in my Etsy shop.


This particular mask is my favorite...
and I have made many different kinds.
It is my mask of choice when venturing off of the farm.
With the shape as it is, there is no need for a piece of wire
in the nose portion... it just stays up on its own.
They are double layered, washable, and made of woven cotton.
A few of the ones that I made yesterday
are from vintage fabrics and very feminine.
Quite a few of them sold yesterday...
so I will be back in the sewing room again today!




Comments

Anonymous said…
So glad the runner came home!
colleen said…
When I read about the runners I was thinking "I love happy endings" and I guess you were thinking the same thing :) xoxoxox
Jeannie said…
I was just thinking about the runner ducks last night and actually looked them up on Google to learn more about them. I'm so glad your runner duck came home!
This N That said…
Glad your runner is safe...Cute masks..Is Annie still around?? Bobby? Haven't seen them for awhile...
Have a happy day..xxoo
Lynne said…
Happy endings are wonderful!
Happy you are home “runner duck!”
Hilly Nicolay said…
How enjoy so many animals around you.
What beautiful mouth masks.
You make them yourself I understand.
I wish I could make them myself, which I bought are not beautiful :(

Greeting