Thoughts For This Time

I have been feeling, lately, like 2020 has
us caught in a weird sort of purgatory between 
the old normal and the new.


Our relationships with friends and family 
depend upon technology rather than touch.
I am grateful for technology.  
I miss touch.


It's because of this, that the transformation from
winter to spring (albeit slow), this year, is intensely important.


Each day I listen for the songs of returning migratory birds,
and am comforted by their familiar refrains.


I watch the tiny buds on shrubs and trees
as they open -
allowing the leaves, that are tucked within their walls,
to slowly unfurl.
I measure their progress daily -
paying closer attention to the drama than ever before.


I even find comfort when awakened at night by the bark
of a fox as she calls her kits to her.
And though, for the sake of my hens and ducks,
I normally dread this time of year...
I am comforted by the knowledge that life in nature 
is unfolding as it should.


Arriving at the barn in the morning to find that
last year's swallows have returned to build a home for their brood
brings a smile to my face.


The sight of spring blossoms (that weeks ago were mere seeds)
lifting their faces toward the rising sun gives me hope.


In spite of everything, life is ebbing and flowing
as it normally does...
as we float along on this river of uncertainty,
with our hands fast to a slippery rudder,
towards an unknown destination.


Thankfully, the extraordinary ordinary remains to calm us and guide us.


Our days, like always, are filled with the necessary activity
that accompanies farm life.
We are never without an "agenda" (of sorts).


Our weather of late has felt like another purgatory.
The calendar says "Spring",
but often the thermometer says "Winter".


When we do have a sunny day, I become a sponge...
trying to hold on to the warmth and energy for as long as possible.


I hold fast to the knowledge that all of this is temporary...
a season unto itself -
and like all, one that brings unique gifts.
Seasons wax and wane...
replacing each other in time.
And with each, comes hope and opportunity.


Comments

daisy g said…
Yes, everything is temporary. Isn't it wonderful to be able to focus on the miracle that is Mother Nature? There is so much to discover and explore, and I feel truly blessed to have a little piece of magic on my own homestead to witness.

Keep your chin up, gal. We will overcome...
I like the phrase you used -- "the extraordinary ordinary" -- exactly!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i literally stand in my woods in one spot for endless time just studying every little change. all the while i'm thinking about how no matter what else is happening, mother nature is right on schedule doing what she is meant to do.
Anonymous said…
Our swallows returned this weekend too!
Your blog is a comfort each day. Being quarantined is a rough thing to go thru but a necessary one and your blog helps us get through. I think I am on my last nerve and can't wait to get outside in the warmth of the sun. Thanks Bev.
This N That said…
Waxing philosophical...Spring is messed up along with everything else...Have a wonderful week..
Beachgram said…
Your thoughts expressed thru your writing are inspirational.
Thank you!
Dee J. Hartman said…
What peace I find in the beauty of your photos, Bev! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
Leslye said…
sUCH WORDS OF WISDOM. tHANK YOU ,YOU ALWAYS UPLIFT MY DAY!
Anonymous said…
Beautiful photos, as always. Do all the cats get along? Especially all the ones that live in the barn. do they share/play well together?
Katmom said…
Bev... like you,, I am a sponge when it comes to sunshine days😁🌻🌞 hugz...
Lynne said…
liked this walk with you . . .
in this time . . .
views words ease . . .
thanks beverly