Pasture Time

What is it about a sunny spring day?
Is it the vibrant green against the brilliant blue
that stirs my soul?

There's just something about a day like this 
that fills me with joy and quenches something deep inside.

And though, with a finite amount of days to live, I have
always tried to think of each day as a good day -
there are just some days that are better than good.

Days like these are nothing short of miraculous!


I spent some time in the front pasture yesterday afternoon,
with the intention of cleaning up donkey and pig manure.


Truly, though, my real reason for being there was just
to soak up the sunshine and the vibrancy of green grass,
blue skies, and spring blossoms.


Through the years, the daffodils in the front pasture have
multiplied.


It's a lovely, naturalized space with a myriad of narcissus.


There, in the midst of my friends and such beauty,


I lost track of time.


It could have been minutes or hours as I lay there on my back
looking up at the sky through Spring's colors.


Just beneath this particular flower, tucked beneath tufts of grass...
was the most amazing thing.


A tiny oak tree had sprouted out of an acorn and taken hold
of the soil right there.
This was something I have never seen before,
and I was awestruck.
Right there before me... from tiny acorn was the start
of a mighty oak.
How many years will it take for this tiny seedling to grow into a sturdy
tree?
What are its chances of survival?
I think I must protect this tiny seedling so that I can
watch it grow.
What a miracle of nature!

Outside the pasture fence, the color has drained from the forsythia...
helped along by the past few frigidly cold nights.
But, the flowering quince remains brilliant.


And, further up the fence, the lilacs are getting 
ready to bloom.


I cannot wait to cut these fragrant blossoms 
and bring them into the house.

While the horses were out grazing in the upper pastures,
I spent a little time planting flowers.


I filled the new window box with potting soil


and added Calendula and violas... a breed called "Fire".


These just might be my favorite violas yet.
I also planted a hanging basket.


 Then I raided my perennial flower beds for new spring growth,
and divided some of the larger groups -
then transplanted them into the garden in front of the shed.
(I am really leaning towards "Maven Haven" for the name.)


As for inside... the ceiling is staying as is... with just a coat of white paint.
Perhaps next week we will start the interior work.
The wood for the walls arrives today,
but that will have to wait until the floor is done.


We'll have a party inside sometime in May for sure!

These days, whenever we are working around the barn,
Griz is our constant companion.
He takes any opportunity to soak up some loving.
He gives really good hugs,


and always ends up on our shoulders.
He's very adept at staying on top of us as we work!


Apparently, time spent in the pasture is exhausting!


Out, like a light.


Comments

Louise Stopford said…
Your part of the world is looking gorgeous with all those Spring colours. The window box on your 'shed' is SO pretty. Gosh I think I could live in there. You need a rocking chair on the porch so you can sit with a glass of wine. Grizz is adorable and his loving personality has come shining through. Love the photo of Ollie. Time spent in the pasture sure makes for one sleeping little boy.
colleen said…
We had an Oak tree sprout up on the edge of the perennial garden. It was at least a foot high before we noticed it. You have us now wondering how old it is. They produce acorns at about 20-30 years and we have had acorns for a few years now. It is closer to 20 years than 30 years old. It is the first thing you see when you look out our living room window.
Everything is looking wonderful around BHA. I love the name Maven Haven!! The violas are gorgeous.
Lisa said…
The oak tree! So precious. Love the chandelier. 💞 We have started to log one of our pieces of land (responsibly) and we discovered we have enough boards to build a cold cellar room in our basement and also a she shed! I'm so excited. I've wanted a she shed for years now. Griz is a doll. He's like our Smokey. Anything for a cuddle.
Dianne said…
I'm so tickled that you're considering my 'Maven Haven' suggestion! It would make me feel like a part of the farm, in a very small - but lovely - way. I read your blog first thing in the morning and it's starts my day with a smile. I'm so glad you're here.
Griz has turned into such a loving cat! He looks so happy being hugged!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i think griz likes to show you how thankful he is to be one of the family. you know, there must be something happening because of the warm damp winter. i have maples growing everywhere. i've never had this happen before. maven haven is perfect!
Beachgram said…
Just a lovely, uplifting post today and complete with Griz.
Sharon said…
I love the scarf and what a beautiful picture of you on Instagram.
This N That said…
I love the acorn?? Did you dig it up and save it?? Put something around it?? Fun...I hope the cold doesn't get your flowers tonight..This should be the last of the below 30's..I hope!! "Maven Haven"..Perfect!!..Great chandelier..Will it have candles?? Griz is a great Kitty..Ollie is in heaven..xxoo
Anonymous said…
Wow, how did you find such beautiful land? It's gorgeous!
Unknown said…
I swear, I can see the smile on Ollies face!
"My Barn, My Rules".. do each of your critters have the same hat as Jack? lolol!