Earth Day and a Giveaway

It's been a while since we have talked about
decreasing our carbon footprint.


The thing is... we have all decreased our footprint considerably
during these last few weeks.
We have not driven our cars, boats, motorcycles.
We have not flown.


And during this time that we are sequestered,
Mother Earth has drawn a long, deep breath,
and exhaled a freshness that we have not seen in so many years.


The skies are clear in areas where months ago there was smog.

Animals are venturing out from their hidden dwellings.

Out of something horrible, some good comes.

If only we could all use this time as a re-set -
to think of how we live and how much different
that living needs to be in order to use less resources.


It's a good time to re-set our priorities and realize how
much we can live without.

We are learning that life is not about quantity, but rather quality.
And that quality lies within our human interactions.

Today is Earth Day.
It's a good time to embrace change.
It's a good time to pledge to do more (or less)
so that Mother Earth can continue on as we know her.
Today, when we are concerned about the health of our species,
we need to also concern ourselves with the health of our planet.

In this time, when most of us are at home,
I would like to suggest a couple of things for your viewing pleasure.
"Ice on Fire" is an HBO documentary that I highly recommend.
It is one of the best documentaries on global warming
that I have seen and provides excellent scientific documentation.
Please watch it if you can.

Another extraordinary documentary highlighting the interconnectedness
of life on planet Earth is
You can rent and watch it on your I-pad, tablet, or computer
and it is well worth the $5 to rent.


You know how I love fungi!!

And last, I would like to send a handmade hug to someone
from the farm.


I knitted this wool shawl from leftover scraps of yarn...
(perfect Earth Day project... keeping those scraps from the landfill)
and it is the perfect wrap for a little warmth over your shoulders
during chilling spring weather,


or as a warm winter scarf to keep your neck and chest warm
when cold winds blow.


(I freshly laundered (hand-washed) the shawl after trying it on.)

Leave me a comment with your name (or pseudonym)
and I will pull a name from the hat and announce the recipient on Friday's blog post.
PS... like all things that we humans create... you will find this little scarf
to be perfectly imperfect!

Disclaimer:
On yesterday's blog post, you might have seen a photo of Hubbs
wearing a hat that read "My Barn, My Rules".
He wants you to know that that in no way represents how he feels
about the barn.
Actually he said to me... "it should read - Her Barn, Her Rules".
He feared you might think him a barn ogre,
which I assure you he is not!
(I'm the ogre!! LOL)

Comments

colleen said…
I am Colleen London and I would love to have my name in the hat :).
I do have to agree that something good comes out of bad situations. I will be so much more aware of buying USA made.
I did notice Jack's hat and wondered, why is he wearing Bev's hat lol.... just kidding.
Kara Kwilts said…
My name is Kara Krantz and I would love to have my name in the drawing too. So pretty!!!!
Sandy Ann said…
My name is Diane. I am from chilly Ohio. I would love to have the shawl. Your blog inspires me.
Lisa said…
Good morning from Nova Scotia. I keep thinking of how our earth is repairing itself now. The only thing is the stores are gone back to plastic. Boo! But the air is cleaner in cities now. Enjoy the day! And please put my name in the hat! Thank you.

Lisa Doucette
Spring Peeper Farm
Kathy said…
Good morning from Indiana.
As I am also a lover of the land and early riser, thank you for your inspiring post every week day morning.
Enjoy this quiet time while the earth resets itself.
QuiltPeace said…
The scarf is beautiful! How wonderful pollution all over the world has improved..waters are clearer. Definitely a Spring renewal.
Barb
Cappy said…
Have you seen the photos from India where the air has cleared? They can see the Himalayas for the first time in 30 years. I would love to see if some of the Chinese cities' air has cleared...

Love the wrap! Beautiful!
Louise Stopford said…
I would love to have my name put in a hat for the draw of that beautiful shawl. I agree with the land re-setting itself and it is amazing in what seems to be such a small space of time. I have heard that the ozone layer is repairing itself because of the lack of aircraft. I just hope lessons are learnt from this awful virus and it makes mankind really think about what we are doing to the planet.
Anonymous said…
Good morning from suburban Philadelphia. I love your blog and it is the first thing I check every weekday morning. I think I am a farm girl at heart especially when it comes to the animals. The wrap is beautiful and your creative talents are amazing. Thank you for sharing your life on the farm with us. Barb R. From PA
Kathy S said…
Would love the opportunity to own one of your hand knitted beauties. Thank you for offering! And thank you for continuing to inspire and uplift all us readers! You lead a good example!
This N That said…
Happy Earth Day. It is getting a much needed rest. HugsXxoo
Pam said…
Hello! Pam from Massachusetts. I have been reading your blog for many years now - first found it when I did an internet search for Norwegian dwarf goats! I agree with you; the earth is taking a long, deep breath right now as the toxins and pollution dissipate. I'm sorry that she'll have to hold her breath again when humans "get back at it". I would love to be a name in the hat for your drawing. I am very partial to multicolored things, particularly the colors in the shawl - it is beautiful! Take good care!
Jacky said…
Gorgeous scarf. I love your blog and the farm. I just want to hug the donkeys.
littlemancat said…
Hi, Bev! The trailer for the fungi was wonderful - I think I will rent it. Thanks for the tip. And, I would so love to be "in the hat"for that amazing shawl.
Mary
Unknown said…
Hi Bev, love following your blog. The shawl is beautiful. You creat suck beautiful things. I would love having my name added to the hat 😁.
Sharon said…
I love the scarf and your blog!
Melinda said…
Good Morning...Thank you for this blog.I enjoy it very much! Beautiful Scarf❤
Sheri C said…
As always, your creativity amazes me! I love the scarf!
Steph said…
Hello,

Long time reader, seldom comment but couldn't resist a chance to win a piece of your handiwork :) Wishing you a beautiful day!

Steph
Dee J. Hartman said…
Be of good cheer
Earth Day is here---

to celebrate bees
to celebrate trees
to want a clean breeze,
to love all species
of life, don't displease!

Yes, Earth Day decrees,
"Take care of me, please!"

(Oh and for 2020,
No COVID repries!
We want no disease
so cover that sneeze-
Yes, wear a mask, please!
~ Burma shave Dee!



TC said…
Hi Bev, I love your creation and this scarf is so rich in color and warmth.
Dianne said…
I would love to have this; it's so pretty. My name is Dianne D.
Grandma Zee said…
Grandma Zee out west in Utah. love your blog, and your many ways you work to keep our world healthy. I too am a gardner and the garden is my happy place. We are having weather sunny and in the 60's for the next 10 days. Perfect for gardening. Give your animals a hug for me.
Billie Hinton said…
Hi, Billie Hinton here, and what a gorgeous scarf/shawl!! I would love my name to go in your hat. :)

I also very much love your thoughts today on how this pandemic is also, aside from the sickness and death, creating a respite for our planet. How to carry this part of the pandemic forward is our mission, I think.

Boni said…
Beautiful & very Earthy looking!
Robin said…
Bev, love all your stories and thanks for sharing your little piece of heaven with us. Robin Malloy. P.S. Love the shawl
Christine said…
I would love my name in the hat! Your blog is such a delight!
Christine H. from UT.
Michle said…
Hi my name is Michle Machala and I would to wear your shawl.
DanceTracee said…
I love the shawl! Everything you make is so beautiful!!
Rae said…
What a lovely opportunity to win one of your beautiful hand works. I really love your taste in colors - very earthy, and appropriate on Earth Day. I always look forward to your posts and never tire of all of your farm family. I enjoy seeing pictures of all of the animals and your stories are very much appreciated as well. Thank you for this chance. Ranee (MN)
Margy said…
Bev - your talent amazes me. If I won the shawl you would have to show me how you wrapped it so cute around your neck in the front. Your farm is amazing too. Margy in KY P.S. I LOVE Jack's hat!
Miss Marple said…
Hi I’m Diane from the uk. I would love to go into the hat to win the shawl. Love see all the animals and following their adventures.
Tee said…
I am Tee, from Minnesota. We are finally getting a day above 70 here!
Angie said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angie said…
First 'thank you' for the paint answer the other day. A paint with primer was exactly what I needed.
I saved a field vole this morning, after the cute cat that calls our garden home now dropped him right by my feet. Kitty came to us as a stray, presumably someone left him behind when they moved on. He is here to stay.
I enjoy your blog! Did you read about the Nebraska student that grew a canoe out of mushrooms?
I love your shawl. Please put my name in the hat, too. Angie :)
Debbie G. said…
My name is Debbie Garcia. I would love to be entered in your drawing. I still admire and love the little elephants that I bought from you. Thank you!
Beachgram said…
Please add my name (Phyllis S) for the lovely knitted scarf.
Enjoy your busy farm life every day and the animals with personality.
Shar43 said…
Hi Bev! It's Sharon Weaver, formerly from the log house in Perry county. The colors are perfect for a little old lady like me. And it's just the right size! Toss me in Jack's hat!
Stacey chestnut said…
Beautiful!! Would love that!!
Stacey chestnut
Judy Grille said…
My name is Judy Grille. Last summer we bought a hobby farm like yours, only we're in the outback of Arizona, so ours isn't green and pretty like yours. And out here we call it a ranch. We hope to have a beautiful place like yours when my husband retires and we can move someplace green. Until then I am really enjoying your blog, which I discovered last week, thanks to Country magazine. Your place is absolutely gorgeous! Love the scarf/shawl too!
Joyce M. said…
Hi Bev -
I have read your blog first thing every morning for years! Your scarf / shawl is beautiful and would be the perfect Accessory for my
Long days at the computer working from home :)
Have a wonderful day in “your” barn!
Joyce M., Harrisburg
Pam said…
I enjoy your blog and love the scarf.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i love seeing how quickly mother earth heals herself. it's really quite amazing. i hope we can all take it as a wake-up call. this might be the sickest humanity has been in a long time but it's the healthiest the earth has been. shouldn't we both be able to be healthy together.
Karen said…
I am Karen from New Jersey and would love to have the beautiful shawl! So beautiful with all the colors!
Thank you for the opportunity!
Maureen M said…
I love the pictures you post everyday, such beautiful property and animals.
Unknown said…
Thanks,Bev, for yet another wonderful post. You are such a blessing to all of us out here! I knew the shawl would be gorgeous, & of, course it is! What a special hug to share with us! Thanks for being such a dear friend to all of us, your readers! Janet Bogard in Louisiana
Joyce St John said…
Beautiful post! Beautiful farm . Beautiful animals , and beautiful made with love shawl! You are an inspiration!
Linda said…
beautiful just beautiful
Joyce F said…
Beautiful wool shawl. I'd love to be able to wear it! Love your posts and seeing what is going on at the farm, what you are sewing and knitting, etc.

Joyce F in Kansas
Leslye said…
After reading your posts my daughter and I have switched to cage-free/Humane raised eggs and organic tea & coffee. Thank you for making us more aware of these things as it helps us be better to the earth. You are the bright spot of my day during this crisis. You are always so positive!