With as much work as a farm can demand,
we have found it necessary over the years to tackle
the chores by committee.
The most active of all our committees these days is the Gardening
Committee.
As with all committees...
(if you have ever served on one, you will definitely understand)
there are worker bees and those that are just there for the snacks.
Yesterday, though cold and windy, I set out to weed
my little rosed garden.
Spring grass had encroached on the waddle fence that I made
this past winter to keep the guineas out.
Over the course of two hours, I removed
the encroaching grass and all of the weeds that had popped
up within the confines of the fence.
The Committee was called to order by TomTom -
he's always held the esteemed position of Barn Manager.
Moll, I believe, was only there for the snacks.
(There were none, sadly - which explains the disgruntled look.)
Sammie, the Committee Historian did his level best to take the minutes,
however, without thumbs, his penmanship is illegible.
Chester was in charge of hospitality...
hence, a lot of licks, but no snacks.
He pretends to ignore the committee, and then when we are in the
thick of things, he comes swooping in with tongue flailing,
covering all unsuspecting participants with sloppy kisses.
Griz was in charge of Oversight,
and took his job supervising quality control very seriously...
climbing to the best vantage point.
When he wasn't supervising, he claimed to be inspecting equipment,
but I think he might have been sneaking a nap.
Me? I served as Laborer-in-Chief.
(or Laborer-in-Cheap)
Together, we accomplished the goal and the committee
was dismissed.
I headed home for a much-deserved snack.
Hubbs and I spent a little time cleaning pastures in the afternoon.
I found my tiny acorn tree and built a sturdy little fence around it.
Without protection it is in jeopardy of being stepped on or
eaten by one of our grazers.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that this little fellow grows into a
mighty oak... hopefully within my lifetime!
We have arrived at that time of year when a portion of
what we eat can be taken from the garden.
Lettuce, kale, and violets are the base for a big dinner salad.
There is nothing more satisfying than picking dinner and eating
it immediately.













Comments
P.S. The disclaimer in yesterday's post made me laugh, and I, too, think your "handmade hug" is absolutely, totally beautiful, and to give it away is such a sweet idea. Here's wishing for you sitting under your mighty acorn tree some day!! -nuri