AWOL or Field Trip

I mentioned yesterday that our hens and ducks are
confined to their own yards for the time being
(this being fox season).


One of the girls, Lucile, is a rebel and refuses
to be confined.


Each day she flies up to the top of her yard
and makes a great escape.
AWOL!

Why? You ask.
Because, for some reason this gal 
prefers to lay her daily egg in privacy
in the turkey house.


Most nights, at tuck-in-time, we find her outside
the door to her yard, asking nicely to be let back inside.
She even lets us pick her up and take her back to her house.


Last night, however, she bunked down
with Tom and Chuck... nestled in next to Tom
for the night.


When I opened their house in the morning,
she made a hasty exit.


I'm wondering how much sleep she got...
most likely keeping one eye open all night 
in order to keep a watch on the boys.

I, too, flew the coop yesterday morning and headed out into the country
on a field trip,
to pick up tomatoes at an Amish tomato farm.


Each year they start their plants in a heated greenhouse
(planted in the ground).
By the end of April we are able to buy tomatoes that taste
like summer.

It was wonderful to get out and see the countryside
as Spring wakes it from its months of slumber.
This field was breathtaking.


And I love this abandoned farmhouse.
I imagine how different it must have looked when it was loved.
Oh, the stories buried here.


Yesterday afternoon was spent cleaning pastures with Hubbs,


visiting with the pigs...


and sheep...


While we were out, Annie had a wrestling match with a 
groundhog (we think)
and ended up with this superficial flesh wound.


Ouch!

Later in the afternoon I worked on transplanting
more perennial flowers from other gardens
to the shed garden.


Work on the inside has come to a halt,
as I am still awaiting the shipment of bricks for the floor.
I found out on Friday
(by calling the shipping company because the shipment was two days late)
 that the shipment was in a tractor trailer 
that had been involved in an accident
and that the police had impounded the trailer.


I called the brick company and explained what had happened.


They sent out another shipment that should arrive early next week.
At that point, I will have much to share with you on 
that project.


Comments

colleen said…
I can just taste those fresh tomatoes now and can't wait until we have fresh ones to eat. In our little town every summer until late fall there is a farmers market in the town square. There are Amish families there selling their produce. Because of their greenhouses we are able to get things early while we are waiting for our garden produce. Now you have me anxiously awaiting for the farmers market to open.
What is in the jar that is hanging in the shed garden? At first I thought it was a hummingbird feeder but I don't see where they would eat from.
Poor Annie, that must of hurt!! xxxx
daisy g said…
I think about the abandoned barns in our area when I pass them too. If walls could talk, we'd have stories for years!

The Haven is looking beautiful with the new flowers. I'm sure you'll be spending a lot of peaceful and reflective time there.
This N That said…
Lucile has a mind of her own, it seems..Good for her...Yum...summer tomatoes...Can't wait..I enjoyed your countryside pics...I saw a field like that on the way to Oak Grove the other day..Is that really Golden Rod or something that was planted..Too early for a crop?? I haven't seen Annie for awhile..lad she's OK in spite of herself..Your shed looks great..Enjoy this last day of sunshine...for the week??xxoo
Early tomatoes -- what a treat!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
that shed it just too darn cute!
Karen said…
How can it be said that a chicken, turkey, duck, geese don't have personalities?? I just love Lucile's 'I'm not following the crowd' personality:) I had two geese, Pete and Tillie, that were just the sweetest, funniest couple. When she would lay her eggs (a couple times a year) - he would just wander aimlessly around the property calling to her - ALL day long! It went on for days - and then she would appear off her nest and he was the happiest boy! They were a joy . . .
Dee J. Hartman said…
"Tales From the Farm," I read each day!
So this my friend, I need to say....

Every time, your blog I read,
I love what's there, I must concede
That your sweet blog, dear Bev, I've found
Is the greatest blog around!

So thanks Bev, for your daily "sharing."
For your love, and for your caring.
For life, itself, and for our earth.
You share. each day, God's mighty worth!

Lisa said…
OH my gosh! I can't wait to see your she shed! I know it's going to be gorgeous! Fresh tomatoes....mmmmmm.... I get so sad when I see abandoned old houses. I'd like to know the stories.

Lisa