The Value Of A Rainy Day And More Ways to Save the Earth

Do rainy days make you feel trapped inside?
Like the world is outside your window and all you can do is watch?


I have the perfect cure for you.
Come do rainy farm chores with me!!


You already know that there is no pause in the work because of weather conditions.
With all of these hungry souls waiting for us,
a rainy day is no different than any.


Rainy days even give us an opportunity to do some extra things...
made easier by the rain.
Like... worming the sheep.


Years ago, we went through the hassle of trying to round up our
sheepy girls and then giving them their worming medication.
It wasn't easy.
Sheep are quite agile, especially when they perceive a threat...
and humans trying to catch them is definitely a threat.

Then, I decided I would just try easier (not harder)...
and I waited for a day in which both sheep were in their houses...
a rainy day, perhaps.


That way I could just sneak in, bend down in front of the house
and have a relaxed sheep with no where to go...
no trauma, no alarm, no rolling in the dirt with dirty sheep.


Low and behold, it was the simplest task.
Now I wait for a similar day.
Dip the tip of the syringe in yummy molasses and offer it as a treat
to unsuspecting sheep who are happily lounging.


They open their little wooly lips and before they have finished
tasting the sweet molasses, the drenching fluid is already
in the back of their mouth.
Gulp... it goes down... easily.
Success!


"Hey, the sheep got a treat?  What about us?"


Each morning, after chores, I check on my plant babies in the greenhouse.
Every day there are new babies emerging,
and older ones growing and growing.


With a foggy, rainy day such as yesterday, I keep a small
electric radiator going to keep them toasty warm.
On sunny days, the greenhouse warms up all by itself.
It almost feels like a whole different world inside the greenhouse.
Who needs a winter vacation in a warm place when you can just walk
into a humid, warm greenhouse bursting with new life!

I though today we could continue our discussion of reducing our carbon
footprint through the reduction of trash and waste.
We've talked quite a bit about reducing our plastic usage,
and personally, for me, it has been a process.
I feel like we have really made a good effort,
but there are times when I need to remind myself.
Like....
recently at my favorite grocery store, I slipped two containers of
sea salt and dark chocolate covered caramels into my cart.
(These are seriously my favorite crush at the present time.
I am hopelessly addicted.
Just one a day keeps the monster away.)
Then Hubbs reminded me that they were packaged in plastic.
Gasp!!
How could I??
You'll be pleased to know, I put them back.
(and wept)


Happily, I found a tiny, local candy company in a local college town 
that carries them - packaging them in a tiny paper bag.
Perfect!  On the occasional pass through that town, I can replenish my stock.
After all... we cannot deny ourselves everything, can we?
Compromise is good.


We have been making a concerted effort to reduce the amount of 
junk mail and paper that enters our house as well.
5.6 million tons of catalogs and junk mailings end up in US landfills each year.
(not to mention the trees that are cut down to manufacture these mailings)
I hope you, too, will give this some consideration.

I have stopped the myriad of catalogs that are delivered by using this free service:

To stop the credit card and insurance offers that come by mail:

To stop those Valpak packets of offers and coupons:

To stop the RetailMeNotEveryday mailings:

Consider reading newspapers and magazines online.
Most all are available this way.


Unfortunately, there is no way to stop political mailings,
which are voluminous at the present time.

Together, we can make a difference.
These small steps build upon each other.
Share these ideas with others... that is the second half of making a personal change.
One by one, I know we can increase awareness.

Comments

Lisa said…
Like you, plastic bugs the heck out of me. I was disappointed last week when we went to a farmers market and all those beautiful carrots were packaged in plastic bags. 😟 Our mailings are getting better. Not much junk mail. But when we do get them they're used to start our furnace fire. My one guilt is magazines. I love reading them on paper and not online. Reading online too much gives me a headache. So I will continue reading from paper. But I do give the magazines away so other people can enjoy them.

When we had goats we would deworm on rainy and snowy days. Worked well.

Have a nice day!
I'm glad you found a new pusher for your sea salt chocolate caramels!
This N That said…
We didn’t have rain here yesterday. ...Just a little misty but last night sure made up for it..I don’t get much junk mail anymore or catalogs for that matter probably because I don’t order from them anymore. Thank you Amazon and the Internet. Enjoy your day. Don’t get blown away. Hugs
Lynne said…
Thanks for the catalog removal web address.
I will use it!

Nifty feeder idea for the sheep.

You are a better woman than I am, I would have been grabbing
on to that plastic bag with a “just this once, last time I promise holler!”

I appreciate your environment clean/safe suggestions!
Stephane C said…
Thanks for the site for catalog choice. I get a lot of catalogs for the previous tenant at our business. Right now most of my paper mail seems to be for colleges for my high school senior son. He's already made his choice (and been accepted) right here in Colorado but he's stilling getting fliers from colleges all over the country
Dee J. Hartman said…
Thank you for the info re: junk mail! For other facebook friends who do not read you blog, I'm passing his info along, as well as reacting to these myself to have them stop sending me this "stuff!"
Hi Bev,
Excellent idea for treating the sheep... And thank you for the links, I will use them for sure.
Wishing you a beautiful weekend.
Penny