The Rewards Of A Simple Job

Having a farm can be a very romantic endeavor, indeed.
The reality is, though... it's also a lot of (shi**y) work.
That's not a complaint.
I actually love cleaning up manure... of all kinds... it's extremely gratifying.
Call me weird.
This is the life for which I was born.


Each morning as we open the door to the chicken coops,
I say, " Knock-knock....Good morning, ladies and gentleman. 
 Maid service, here."


And we proceed to make their beds,


clean their bathrooms,


and re-stock the mini-bar.


I often wonder how the hens see us.
Are we really maid service to them?  ... not to mention Room Service, as well?


At least I know that we are appreciated,
because quite often one of them leaves us a tip!


In all seriousness... this life is a 24/7 commitment
and there is very little glory in the work.
The rewards are many, though.
We develop a relationship with our animals.


They accept us and trust us.
At the end of the day, we are filled with satisfaction -
and fatigue.
It's all good - I couldn't imagine life any other way.

When evening comes, we head back out to offer our turn-down, tuck-in service.
"Good night, ladies.  Good night, Elwood.  
We'll be back in the morning with your wake-up call and breakfast.
Sleep tight."


We run a full service boarding house, here!

In follow-up from yesterday's post...
many of you commented that you were interested
 in making your own dishtowels and wanted to know where one could 
purchase the fabric.


I bought mine from Kaitlin, locally, at my favorite fiber arts store, HumbleStitch.
for those of you who are not local... 
here is a link to her website page where she sells them online.
She would be more than happy to ship whatever you need right to your home.

The fabric can be cut in a square to make napkins,
or ¾ of a yard will make one dishtowel,
or cut longer, can be made into a table runner.
Turn each end under ¼ inch, press, turn under again, and sew.
It's that easy!
It is 100% cotton and is even nicer after laundering.
(Hint... sew them before laundering, or they fray!!)

PS... I recently saw a zero-waste tutorial on making your own handkerchiefs
and folding them so that they work in a tissue box... pulling out one at a time.
Wash, re-fold, reuse.... no waste.
(btw...hanging them on the line in sunlight would kill any germs
not gotten by the washing process.)
What do you think about that idea?
(Don't worry I have no thoughts about toilet paper!)
I draw the line there.
😝

PS:
Check out all of the new life popping out in the greenhouse...



Right now, the greenhouse is my favorite place.
It's toasty warm and humid and full of new life.
It's a little taste of spring that I can enjoy every day!

Comments


I haven't started seeds this year - but we are talking about putting up an actual greenhouse. We had to take down the little one I loved that my husband and son made and attached to our shed years ago. The old windows we used to construct most of it had rotted and the roof was blown off in a big storm. I was sad to see it go.

As for the hand made handkerchiefs, I just can't get passed the thought. If you're blowing your nose into it, I just want to throw it out. I know, they've been used for centuries, I just can't, LOL.

"Restocking the mini-bar" LOL!
Unknown said…
We actually have dramatically reduced our toilet paper use with the addition of a Washlet toilet seat. Costco has some great ones online for about $250. They are also heated, which I can't believe I ever lived without!
Plus, many other countries would say that our use of toilet paper is like wiping a dirty dish with a paper towel and putting it in the cupboard. You need to wash it with water to clean it! The Washlet made a complete convert out of my husband.
Lisa G in TN.
This N That said…
The hens are lucky to have you as are the rest of your critters...Your greenhouse is coming along wonderfully..WOn't be long!! xoxo