Friday's Food For Thought

Eating is the most fundamental part of life,
and yet, it has become one of the most complicated.

Perhaps one of the most difficult aspects of trying to be
a conscientious consumer is navigating through a sea of labeling.
Labels... what they mean and what they don't mean... can be as complicated
as a foreign language.


Unless you buy your food directly from the farmer,
or raise it yourself, your only clue as to how your food was grown
is in the labeling.

Let's look at the term "natural" or "all natural".  The FDA defines both of these terms to mean
the same thing.  Unfortunately, the definition is vague and meaningless...
and more importantly, not something that is regulated or inspected.
Thus, to say that a food is natural or all natural means nothing.
It can still have hormones, antibiotics, pesticides, and herbicides within it.

Don't be fooled into thinking that "Natural" products mean healthy products.


And read the ingredients on the label...


"Natural" tells you nothing about the healthiness of this product.
It tells you nothing about how those peanuts were grown.

If you read the ingredient list, you will see that the second ingredient is palm oil.
Palm oil, used to maintain the stable consistency of this peanut butter, is high in saturated fat.
What this label doesn't say, however, is... palm plantations are responsible for
40% of the world's deforestation.
All... so we don't have to stir the peanut oil back into the peanut butter.
Palm oil keeps the two from separating.
Me.... I'd rather stir.


Let's move on to something near and dear to my heart...

Perhaps one of the worst cases of deceptive labeling belongs to the egg and chicken industry.

Typically, chickens and eggs are raised in what are known as protein factories.
There is over-crowding.
The birds rarely see the light of day.
They may be held in cages for their entire life, or they may be free to roam on a floor
covered with chicken manure in a space that is so tightly filled with chickens that the birds cannot
actually walk.
A common practice is to de-beak the chickens (cut of their beaks) so that 
they cannot fight with each other.

The chicken meat that is sold in grocery stores comes from a few specific breeds of chicken
that were (genetically engineered) bred to be full grown with an extremely meaty breast
 at a prematurely young age.
If they are allowed to grow beyond their sacrifice age,
 their meat would be too weighty for their tiny skeletons to carry...
causing broken legs and the inability to walk.
(You may have noticed how much larger whole chickens are compared to the size they were
when you were young.)

These are just some of the horrors of chicken farms.

So, how do we decipher the many labels we find in the grocery store?

"Organic" - the animals were raised on organic feed.  
This says nothing about the conditions
under which the animals or chickens were raised however.
In order to use the USDA Organic label, 95% of the food substance must be organic.
The other 5% must be from an approved federal list of non-organic substances.


"Free Range" - means that the chickens must have access to the out-of-doors.
This usually means that there is a small fenced in yard area that they can access through a door.
The problem is... most times they are afraid to venture outside.

In the label below...

"No Antibiotics" means that the hens that layed these eggs did not receive antibiotics...
otherwise there is a list of antibiotics that are approved for use in laying hens.
"No Added Hormones" means the hens did not receive hormones.
This is true for all laying hens... and means nothing on this label.
"Non-GMO Feed"  should mean that the chickens were fed feed that was not genetically modified.
However the USDA non-GMO standards do not cover animal feed.

The most trust-worthy non-GMO label is the "Non-GMO Project Verified" label,
from another non-profit organization.
This organization maintains rigid standards for what they will certify as non-GMO.


In the egg carton below, you will see that there is a small green label that says vegetarian FED.
If the hens were pasture-raised as this label says, the above could not be true,
as they would be out eating grubs and insects.
Personally, I do not want my eggs to be vegetarian-fed.  Hens that are out and about
eating insects, etc. are the most healthy.
Chickens are not vegetarians.
Chickens are omnivores and need a balanced diet of protein and plants.



"Cage Free" - simply means that the chickens are not in cages.  The government standard is that
each chicken have 1.25 square feet of floor space... that is a square that is 15 inches by 15 inches.


Again, what is the attraction to "vegetarian fed hens"?

"Grass-Fed" - means that after weaning, the animal's primary source of feed
comes from grass and not grains such as corn.  However there are no uniform government standards
for this label, so the animals could have been exposed to hormones, antibiotics, pesticides, etc.

"Humanely Raised" - there actually are no legal standards for what is labeled in this way.
It is a vague term that actually means nothing.

"Certified Humane" - means that it was approved by the non-profit HFAC
(Humane Farm Animal Care), an organization that has strict guidelines for the care of
meat animals from birth through slaughter.  This label definitely means something.

Of all the egg cartons I have shown,
I suppose this would be my choice... if I had to choose.
"Pasture Raised, Certified Humane" seems to be the best choice for
healthier chickens and healthier eggs.
These chickens are given a larger area to roam free and are able
to enjoy the benefits of foraging for insects.


I am so grateful to be eating eggs from these girls...


There really is nothing better.
Healthy birds produce healthy eggs.

Sadly, there is much deception in labeling... and not much government over-sight.
Thankfully some non-profit groups have stepped in to assure that 
we can better trust brands that carry their seal of approval.

I have also found that in being conscientious consumers,
we run the risk of losing some of the joy of cooking and eating... and of becoming cynical.

Educating oneself and making the procurement of humanely-raised,
clean food a priority has its rewards, too.
Personally, though, food shopping has evolved into a many-stepped 
process, shopping here and there for items that feel "right" to me...
being a conscientious consumer has given me sense of control and a clean conscience.
I now can better control what I choose as nourishment for me 
and for my family... which gives me a sense of satisfaction.

Please let me know if Friday's Food For Thought is something you would like me to
continue.
And if so... are there any topics that you would like me to explore in more depth?

Comments

colleen said…
I had no idea there was a "Pasture Raised, Certified Humane" label. I want to think that we eat "healthy" but in all reality according to labels, WE DON'T!! It is pretty sad that we live in a society that we even need a label that states... Certified Humane!! Please do continue with Friday's Food For Thought. I would like to hear what you would do if you didn't have your own source of produce or a farmers market to go to all winter. Have a great weekend. xxxxx
Jody in Georgia said…
I learned a lot from today's message...please do continue with Friday's Food for Thought. It is, indeed, helpful to us who are trying to eat healthy and responsibly. Thanks.
sheryl said…
yes - please continue your Friday Food for Thought - anything that brings awareness and education is a good thing. I bring it one step further on this topic. I do not believe there is a humane way to slaughter a chicken. Humans can live healthy lives without ever eating an animal product. There is so much garbage labeled as food these days - reading the labels is a must. Thank you for bringing to our attention what these labels mean.
Trina said…
Yes, please continue! I always look forward to your posts and find them interesting and informative... and almost therapeutic!! It’s so refreshing to read about ways to improve health and see the beautiful pictures you post. Such a welcome change from all the political garbage and negativity so often on social media. You’ve also convinced me it’s time I start buying eggs from one of my local farmers!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i love your food posts. though, it does make me want to buy a farm and raise everything myself! labeling is a lot like the trump administration. totally deceptive.
littlemancat said…
Thanks so much for this post - and all the Food for Thought posts- do continue them, please. I learned a lot today and like other readers, will step up my healthy eating concerns. Local farmers for my eggs.
Mary
Sue S. said…
Another good post, thank you! Most of my time in the markets is spent reading labels and I, too, shop at four or five different markets to get the best food. Appreciate the education on egg labels. Looks like I need to study the carton in my refrigerator and probably find a better brand. We are lucky to have Farmer's Markets year-round and close, so most of our produce, especially lettuce, is local and organic when possible. I'll see if any of the farmers offer eggs. At the stores, organic is important to me for apples, berries and other fruits that are porous. On other products, a priority is non-GMO and now I know to look for the "verified" label.
Hi, please continue these posts...love them. My husband and I raise maybe 40% of our food and the rest I read read read labels. My husband has celiac so there is that. But what concerns me is the seemingly lack of knowledge or caring of the younger generation. (20 to 35 year olds) or is it just the money they think it takes to eat organic? Most of the time I feel like I am preaching so I stop.
Anonymous said…
Yes! Continue Friday Food for Thought.
Mick
Karla said…
Love these educational posts so much! Thank you for taking the time to teach us!!
I live in a mobile home park in California with very little outdoor space but I'm getting ready to put in a 4x8 raised bed on the side and I know I'll be able to get plenty of good veggies out of it for the two of us. Can't wait :)
Karla said…
I forgot to mention to everyone that if you haven't seen the documentary "The
Biggest Little Farm" please do!! It is a wonderful story and very beautifully filmed.
Junebug said…
Please continue Friday Food for thought! On purchasing whole chicken, please make sure package says "air cooled" otherwise your hen was thrown in a vat of cold water with thousands of others to cool down. Talk about E coli!
Anonymous said…
Yes, please continue with Friday Food for thought. The better educated everyone is the better.
If you run out of Foods for Thoughts, you could also fill in with ways to minimize use of plastics (again) and how native plantings are important for biodiversity.
anniedo said…
Thank you for the excellent information! People are so duped into reading just the front label and then only the words that are in big letters... a trick from the manufacturers to deceive you. STAY AWAY from palm oil!!! Also... regarding that peanut butter label..... SUGAR? Why??? Peanut butter does not need sugar, ingredient list should be nothing but peanuts. (and a touch of salt if you want).

A trick to stir you "real" natural peanut butter...use your handheld electric mixer! Insert jut 1 "beater blade" into the mixer. Hold the jar very firmly (or have someone else hold for you), put blade into the jar and turn on low. HOLD THE JAR TIGHT! Mix until oil in incorporated, increasing speed a little if needed. VIOLA... mixed peanut butter!

One more trick!... if you want your "real" peanut butter to be not so runny, mix in a small amount of water (start with 1/4 tsp.). It works!! :)
Christine said…
Yes, I would love to hear more Friday Food Thought. We have chickens but do always get enough during the winter, so I buy them occasionally, Its always hard to find eggs I feel good about.
This N That said…
Good to know..I usually get my eggs from a local garden center that gets them from a local farm..Best I can do..I know they are free range and Non GMO fed...There are no labels as they reuse their cartons...They also sell milk in glass bottles.Have a good weekend..
Katmom said…
Lived your post... I actually have gotten to the point of hating to go shopping at the Markets... I get light headed reading and re-reading labels.... but I have learned to narrow my food shopping to a couple of not big markets,,, I am familiar with their products and store layout which makes shopping faster instead of wandering around looking for things and getting booby trapped into buying things I don't need. Yes, keep us informed, looking forward to fut
ure Food Fridays. Hugz
Great post--answered alot of questions I had about eggs for sure--and yes--along with the rest--love the Friday post idea--
I use almond butter on my waffle for breakfast each morning and what a job I have finding just plain Almond butter--(they all have palm oil, sugar and salt--which I won't buy) I was happy when I moved back to Fl cause here at a Lucky's market I could find it--and with for reasonable price--but guess what--they just closed all their stores--have heard of another place I might be able to get it--but it is a bit of a drive--but will go and check it out!!! And I only buy organic peanut butter the same way--NO palm oil for me!!
Now to see if I can find some of these eggs!!
luv, di
Anonymous said…
All of your posts are enjoyable to read, and your Food for Thought especially so. We are fortunate to have access to an old fashioned farm about 10 minutes away that sells eggs, from happy hens. I would enjoy hearing your thoughts on any subject, but if you run out of ideas how about, eating healthy on a budget, the value of home cooking, and anything related to growing food.
Janie
deodar said…
Every time I see a "Natural" label I think to myself: 'yep, and arsenic is natural too'.
Lynne said…
Yes, continue your Food Friday posts . . .
We are fortunate to have fresh farmer markets close by
BUT, more available in spring, summer, fall.
Label reading, checking, has become a must, makes shopping a long process.
You are an inspiration and a great teacher . . .
Please keep us in the know!
Shelley said…
Those are the eggs I buy. Just look at the yolks and you can see the difference in a quality egg. Keep posting!!
Lag said…
I think Friday Food for Thought is a great idea! Please continue!

I don't know a lot about this, especially when it comes to chickens, but I believe that the "vegetarian-fed" label is meant to indicate that the animals are not fed any animal by-products. Which, for omnivorous hens, doesn't sound bad. But I've read a few things where the "animal by-products" being used in animal feed were turning the animals in question into cannibals, which frankly is pretty upsetting to think about. And that, if there's disease in any of the by-products, that can spread disease among the living population. Just kind of a gross practice.

It is pretty silly to try to make hens into vegetarians, though.
sheepmom said…
I appreciate your education on the topic. We all need to know what we put into our bodies. I also buy those eggs. They are really good. Here is a great web article on the subject of chickens. Not sure if you have already read it or not. https://www.cornucopia.org/research/scrambled-eggs-separating-factory-farm-egg-production-from-authentic-organic-agriculture/