Garden Dreams

Grey skies, cold temps, and drizzle made indoor
activities quite attractive yesterday.


I've been doing a lot of thinking about gardening season.
It's that time of year when I begin to long for color and fragrant scents...


when I long to leave my boots and heavy winter gear behind
to feel the tickle of green grass in my toes or a warm breeze across my shoulders.

Don't get me wrong.
I love winter... I am even excited about the possibility of a snow storm on Saturday.
So, I content the part of me that misses the feel of soil in my fingers
by dreaming and planning and paging through seed catalogs.


I spent some time, yesterday, in front of my computer...
planning a planting timeline.
I made a list of the seeds that I wanted to purchase and the dates that I needed
to start them in the greenhouse...
or direct-sow them into the ground.

Then I got busy and ordered.
If you've visited during garden times, then you know that I love zinnias.
To me, there is no flower that gives more of itself than a zinnia.
They are spectacular in the garden,
and wonderful cut and brought indoors in bouquets.
So, I ordered my usual Profusion and Benaryl Giant zinnia seeds to start,
and supplemented those with some unusual varieties as well...
Queen Red Lime...
(flower photos compliments of Pinetree Seed Co.)


and Cherry and Ivory Swizzle...


I would like to dry some flowers next summer to hang from our beamed ceiling,
so I am ordering Amaranth...


and Gomphrena


in two colors.


I also found a new variety of Echinacea that bloom in the first year,
so I will be planting these seeds -
Green Twister Echinacea...


I have decided to skip planting some vegetables such as eggplant and cauliflower.
I have not had good luck with either.
Their yields never match the amount of space that they use.
I can buy them both local, and save the space for something else.

I love drying beans and am going to plant red kidney beans,


as well as these Tongue of Fire Bush Beans.


I received some seeds as a Christmas present and will be starting
tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouse as well.

Greenhouse planting will begin when we return from our short trip to
Yosemite in February.

As I sat at the computer writing,
I couldn't help but notice a pair of big eyes staring through the window at me.


Ivy is anything but subtle when she wants your attention -
and she wanted back in the house.


She will even resort to jumping up on the screen and hanging there by four sets of claws.
Yes, it seems the farm belongs to the animals...
we are merely "staff".
(and poorly paid, I might add!)
(Ok... so we do have great benefits!)

After garden planning, yesterday, I moved on to baking and made
Black and White Biscotti.


It gets sliced into strips between the first and second baking.
It's the perfect crunchy accompaniment to a cup of tea!

When it was time to head outside for afternoon chores,
I could only convince Chester and Sam to accompany me.


Annie wasn't too enthused about the idea... telling me she'd rather stay warm by the fire.
Who could blame her!


But, we had horses to bring in from the pasture...


eggs to collect...
and goats to feed...


so, the boys and I went to the barn, leaving Annie at home in her comfy spot.

While at the barn, Grizz came out to say hi to Sammie - 
rubbing against him affectionately.


That is, until Sammie decided to sniff Grizz's hind end,


at which point Grizz turned on a dime and gave Sammie a piece of his mind...


leaving Sammie feeling quite remorseful.


See? Guilt written all over his face!


I thought I would share another product that I am trying,
in my quest to remove plastic packaging from our house.
I searched for plastic-free deodorant and came up with this brand in a cardboard
push-up tube.


I'll get back to you regarding it's efficacy...
or perhaps someone in my family will!
😉

Comments

Louise Stopford said…
Love the idea of planning your garden for the forthcoming season. It's an exciting thought and those Zinnias, well, I must buy some of those this year. They are absolutely wonderful and I don't think I have grown them before. Isn't Sammie an absolute darling with the cats. They must really trust him and obviously think a lot of him (unless he sniffs their rear ends!!). What a good dog!! So you've set me off thinking about spring gardening and what a lovely thought that is. We are having some awful weather her at the moment in UK. We have had so much rain and wind, it's all becoming really boring. So, the thought of some sunshine on a warm day and pottering in the garden is a very welcome thought indeed.
colleen said…
All those beautiful flowers!!! I wish we had a greenhouse....oh the trouble I could get in :) Anxious to see how the deodorant works.
Sammie's nose was probably cold on poor Grizz's butt.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i'm going to concentrate on flowers this year. i can buy fruit and veggies from the amish markets cheaper than i can grow them. i hope we get some snow before spring arrives!
This N That said…
Winter has barely started but spring will be here before we know it..Good choice of flowers..good ones to dry..You have made me a fan of Profusion Zinnias..They are amazing.I don't have trouble with Echinacea the first year but they often don't come back..Had to laugh at the picture of Ivy..I wish I could read her mind..Poor Sammie He.just can't win..Have a good evening...xxoo
Lynne said…
Usually this time of the year I am enjoying knee/hip deep snow.
Not this year . . . so, my heart has turned to flowers in mid January!
I enjoy zinnias too, nice choices . . .

Pictures of Dahlias have my interest right now, it probably has
something to do with my granddaughters wedding this August
and dahlias being her flower choice.
Fun it is, to listen to her plans . . .

The warm fire probably would be tempting for me.
Curling up with one of the “pups” would be a great foot warmer!

Motivating to see you beginning your spring planting plans!