The Year The Wind Took The Turkey

Thanksgiving morning... a beautiful sunrise...
and a lost turkey.


Now, before your heart starts anxiously pounding,
in fear for our dear Tom and Fred...
let me allay your worries and tell you that neither of them are the turkey
about which the title speaks.
Phew!
That's a relief!

No, the turkey that was taken by the wind is now buried deep within the 
compost pile.


I mentioned earlier in the week our plans for our Thanksgiving
(Black Friday) feast.
I mentioned that we were having tacos...
the meat for those tacos being spicy roast turkey, pork carnitas, and shrimp.
Well... I had decided on Wednesday night to put the meats (not the shrimp)
in my two crock pots and cook them slowly overnight.
Actually, the pork would cook slowly for 24 hours...
the turkey, overnight.

We had a fierce (really fierce, trees down) windstorm on Wednesday night
into Thursday morning, and had several brown-outs during the night as we slept.
Sadly, the turkey was in a digital crockpot, so when the power went out,
the crockpot turned off... and stayed off all night.
Luckily, the pork was in a crockpot that came right back on again.
Not wanting to risk infecting my family with salmonella,
the turkey went to the compost pile in the morning.

After morning chores,
and a scavenger hunt for the trash cans that had blown away during the night,


(looking back from where the trash can had blown to our farm...)


Hubbs went out in search of plan B.
(another turkey, or even a couple of whole chickens)
From now on, I will always have a plan B in mind!

I stayed home and finished the baking and continued the cooking.


We had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner with our neighbors...
our yearly tradition.


And I had a sleeping puppy on my boot.


The chickens gifted us with 15 eggs!!
And the ducks layed two as well.


This morning, I will do the last of the cooking as the house
fills with family.
We'll laugh, and eat, and play, and go for lots of "GoGo" rides.
And though our tradition may not look like others'...
it will be the perfect day, 
surrounded by the people I love...
and I can't ask for anything better than that!

Comments

Lynne said…
Oh the wind!
Making history all across the country . . .
Happy you recycled the first taco feed for another.
Enjoy the day today!
The being together is the best part of thankful!
colleen said…
See, turkey and garbage cans, you always have something to tell us.
I love your Thanksgiving tradition. I saw when you introduced the pup and what a sweetie! We had a very blessed Thanksgiving also. Nothing better than the house filling up with family and health to enjoy it all. xxxxx
Anonymous said…
We had all that wind Wednesday. It was unreal.
littlemancat said…
Glad all was well in the end. The little pup is adorable! How did your dogs like her?
The wind was something else here too!
Mary
littlemancat said…
Oh - I meant to send congratulations to the hens for their egg production! Wow! Just in time for holiday baking.
Mary
Oh, that adorable sleeping puppy! Enjoy your feast today!
This N That said…
Abeautiful sunrise, a sleeping puppy and fresh eggs..You have a lot to be thankful for...XXoo
Karen said…
You won't forget this Thanksgiving for a time! My very first Thanksgiving as a bride - whole family there - some for the first time ever. About an hour in cooking the turkey - the power went out. It was quite the storm - we lived our in the country (always:) - so I knew the power would be out for days. We cooked what we could on the wood stove - and produced a dinner. All that work and fuss - and during the dinner I see my husband's Grandma feeding my our little dog her turkey! But I think everyone had a great time anyway:)
Your tradition sounds just wonderful - Happy Holiday Season - and yep, even in CT that wind was fierce.