Transportation Options

What started as a cold, grey, cloudy morning...


ended up a beautiful autumn day.

Because temperatures were colder yesterday morning,
(no flies would be out to bother the animals)
we walked the horses up to the upper pastures.


With grazing muzzles on, they would be able to spend most of the day
up there.


It was obvious they were quite happy to be back in this pasture
As we unhooked each of them from their lead ropes,
they left in the air, bucked, farted and happily ran off to the furthest reaches
of the pastures.
The running continued for a few minutes before everyone settled down
to the task of grazing.


The donkeys were turned out into the front pasture with the sheep and the pigs 
for the morning as well.


Not entirely happy with the donkeys' old grazing muzzles,
I ordered new muzzles... Thin Line muzzles.
They are clear pieces of tough, rubbery plastic
that attach to the donkeys' halters with zip ties.


The soft plastic is easy to bend, making munching
through the quarter-size hole in the base quite easy.
The sides are well vented and the muzzles are very light.
These might be my favorite muzzles yet.


And though I wish we didn't have to use them,
with seven equines who are all easy keepers,
(ie... they get fat on next to nothing)
grazing muzzles have been a saving grace in keeping the herd healthy.


Last week you asked why I don't graze my horses with my pigs and sheep.
The only reason is logistics.
Because the pigs are so social, they would be hanging out in the dry lot while
I would be trying to bring horses in.
Then, getting pigs back out of the dry lot, without losing horses to the pasture
would be more of a headache than we need on a daily basis.
So.... separate grazing keeps everyone (me) happy!

While everyone was grazing in the gray morning air,
I spent a couple hours in the sewing room.
A grey and navy waxed canvas backpack was yesterday's project.


By afternoon, the sun came out and turned the day 
into Autumn perfection.


I had packages (from my Etsy store) to get to the post office,
and because we only have one vehicle right now
(since the deer took out the front end of our 3-day-old Prius...
to the tune of somewhere between $8000 and $13,000 in damages)
and I was home alone with no vehicle...
I set out on my bike.


The trip to the Post Office and back was 15.3 miles,
and I was so glad to be out enjoying the day!


Those of you who have packages coming can enjoy the fact that
they are reaching you with less carbon emissions.
It's a win-win!


Upon my return to the farm, I was greeted at the fence by the driveway,
by these two... grunting loudly their happiness in seeing me.


I hopped off my bike and gave them each a pet through the fence.
The grunting continued.


I got the idea that my bike helmet had them a little excited.
Pigs are smart and notice differences like this.
I assured them that all was well and continued back up the driveway to the house.


With a pot of simmering chili on the stove and fresh, homemade buttermilk 
biscuits in the oven for dinner,
I sat down to share my day with you and write this post.
Looking back on the day and documenting it makes me smile
It was a good day... a beautiful day... a productive day... a perfect day.
And today is a whole new one!

Comments

daisy g said…
Oh, I was hoping my package would be sent via bicycle! ;0D
Lisa said…
Grazing muzzles are the best. I use them for my herd and have for years. Helps the air ferns to keep the weight under control, lets the grass grow back faster, and, in my opinion, keeps ticks off of their face.
littlemancat said…
Wow - what a long ride, good for you! And that blue bag is beautiful.
Chili and biscuits sound like a perfect meal to me - a good ending to an autumn day.
Mary
Love seeing the horses and those little piggie snouts. What a lovely day you had.
This N That said…
Productive indeed..altho all of your days are productive..Love the colors of your new bag...xxoo
Unknown said…
WOW! Good for you. You're my pick of the litter. :)
Anonymous said…
Always enjoy your post. This was a good one!
Phyllis
EDGAR C. BEARD said…
I SURE DO ENJOY THESE...JST LIFTS MY SPIRITSS ...TAHNK YOU FOR THIS ALWAYS INTERESTING BLOG/POST/ETC...SMILING ! EDGAR C. BEARD
deodar said…
I use the Tough one Easy Breathe muzzle on my mare, she sticks her nose right in it.