Second Shift

Every morning before the sun comes up,
the horses go out in the front pasture for a few hours of grazing time.
As soon as cooler weather comes along and all of the flies are gone,
they will spend much of the day in the upper pastures
with grazing muzzles.

When the horses come back to the barn, 
it's time for the sheep and pigs to have the front pasture for the rest of the day.
Second shift.


There is nothing I love more than sitting on the ground in the pasture with
the sound of munching animals around me!


It's my idea of a perfect moment.




Of course, all I need do is sit down,
and there is immediately a pig in my lap!


I'm greeted with the special "hello" grunts
and I immediately cover her with piggy kisses.
MaryAnn flops down beside me for a belly rub...
and of course I oblige.
Then we lay there together soaking up the sun...
just me and my pig pillow.
(It's hard to take a selfie when your head is resting on a pig!)


Next it's time to take the donkey girls for a walk.
We are working this into every day's routine.
Getting halters on them both is no problem any more.


We sneak out the back way between the barn and the duck hut,
and down the driveway we head....


[Link to video]

A little housekeeping....

 1.            Some of you may remember that in the past I have had to go head to head
with Facebook.
I post my blogs daily there for some who find it easiest to access it there.
A couple of times in the past and then again yesterday FB has decided
that my blog does not meet their community standards and has deemed it to be spam.
I cannot take this personally, because this determination is the result
of a computer algorithm.
It does frost my cookies a little, however...
especially in light of all of the garbage that FB does allow on their site.
Oh well.... it's a weird world we are in these days,
so I cannot let this upset me.
It's a challenge... that's all... and I will keep trying.
I would suggest to you, however...
if you do find this blog through FB, you might instead want to sign up
(on the right side of the blog, and only if you view it on a computer)
for receiving it by email.
Or... you can always Google Bee Haven Acres.... trust me, it is the first choice that comes up.
Or, you can bookmark it on your computer, or tablet, etc.

2.               A few of you asked if I ever sit down and just do nothing.
The answer to that is...nope.... it's not in my DNA I suppose.
I was given the gifts of inspiration, motivation, and drive...
as well as boundless energy... so I plan to put that all to good use
until the day I drop over dead.
Hah!

3.           I am planning on opening up my old Etsy store soon
with all of the goods that I have been making of late... and there are a lot of them.
I've been very industrious.
I'll let you know when that is up and running.

4.        The car will be going to the body shop for replacement of most of the front end.
There doesn't seem to be any engine damage.
The electronics will have to be reworked after the body damage is fixed.
It's an inconvenience, but only that.
Insurance will cover it.
In the big picture... it's only a car.
Wish I could say the same about the deer, though.

Comments


Sometimes I'm asked, usually by family... aren't you tired of all those farm chores and having to get up early every single day and go up there again at night to feed, clean, water, etc. etc.... and after 35 years of doing it, the simple answer is Nope. Oh, there are days when I'm trudging through snow or rain to get chores done, but for the most part, it feels right in my soul, as you describe even better than I. I plan to do some form of this until I drop over, dead, too. Hopefully of simple old old age. I'm wishing the same for you.

Bee Haven Bev said…
So glad to have you in my tribe, Karen!
Junebug said…
Accessed through FB this morning but, of course you are booked mark in my favorites! Enjoy your day!
This N That said…
I'm glad that FB came to their senses..Piggy pillows..How sweet!