The Weekend Update

Some weekends are so filled with wonderful goodness,
that it's almost impossible to describe in words.
Luckily we have photos!
I have much to share with you!

Friday, as we were making last minute preparations for our weekend guests,
I noticed a tiny hummingbird flying around the high peak inside our garage.
Suddenly, it came plummeting down to the floor, unable to fly.


I gently picked up the tiny bird and cradled it in my hand.
A quick examination showed that she was tangled in a spider's web...
which was wrapped around her wing.


I gently pulled the web from her wing and she took off,
only to land a few feet away on the ground.
She was still unable to fly normally.
I picked her up again and gently combed through her wing feathers with my fingers...
removing a little more sticky spider web.


She rested on my arm for a moment then took off in normal flight
to a tree at the edge of the woods.
If I hadn't found her when I did, she would have surely perished.
Seeing her fly off into the woods was a great way to begin the weekend!

Saturday morning we drove an hour to see Tyler swim in a big
championship swim meet.
(The funny thing about a swim meet is... you might drive an hour to and an hour home,
to watch a race that takes 30 seconds!)
Naturally, it is always worth it... and we wouldn't miss it for the world!


Our weekend guests were friends of Amanda and Tim.
They picnicked (of course the turkeys were in the middle of things!), 


played yard games, swam in the pool, took a long country bike ride,
visited with the animals,


and just generally had a blast.

Sunday morning, our Littles joined us and spent the day (and night)
here on the farm.

Our day was packed full of activity...
"gogo" rides...


picking and eating blueberries off the bush...


garden goodness...


(Pick it, wash it, eat it right there in the garden....Mmmmm.... the best!)


farm chores...
(doesn't every farm girl scoop poop in a dress and pink sparkly shoes?)


horseback rides...
(yes, that is the dress that I made her a couple weeks ago)


more "gogo" rides...


repeat, repeat, repeat.


By the time bedtime rolled around,
there were two tired adults and two exhausted Littles.
It was a great day...
a great weekend.

I have been posting some photos of sewing projects on Instagram.
Lately, I've been sewing totebags and purses.
I did this one on Friday.


It was my first attempt to make a heavy duty bag out of waxed canvas,
with leather strap and handles.
I will definitely be making more of these... I love how it turned out.
Waxed canvas is cotton canvas that is soaked in beeswax...
making it waterproof.
As you work with it, it becomes more and more distressed looking.
The distressed lines can easily be removed by going over the fabric with
a hot hairdryer.
Who knew?
I love learning new things and trying new projects!

Comments

Connie said…
I loved your hummingbirds story, that little fellow was lucky you were around. Your farm is the perfect place to entertain your grandchildren, oh the memories they'll have:)
Last but not least I can't forget to comment on the gorgeous bag, Great job!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
what an amazing hummingbird experience! the littles are getting so big and that dress is so stinking cute! i love waxed canvas!
daisy g said…
Wow, so glad that you found that little hummer when you did. Talk about perfect timing.

Looks like a fun-filled weekend. It's so good to see the grands eating right out of the garden.
What a lucky hummingbird to have had you nearby! I didn't realize spiders webs would be such a hazard to the wee things but I guess they would be!
Junebug said…
Where do you find the waxed canvas yardage? Looks like a perfect weekkend to me.
This N That said…
Looks like a busy but fun weekend. Mack’s dress Looks darling on her. Your waxed Canvas bag is adorable. My favorite so far. Glad you saved the hummer...Very rewarding. Guess you’d better do a better job of dusting in the barn. LOL
Karen said…
I'm always learning something new on your postings:) I have saved a hummingbird from our cat (the hummer flew into the house) . But I don't know why I hadn't heard before about Hummingbirds and spider webs! For the last three or four years now - we have Hummingbirds ALL year round! We live in the Pacific Northwest and they nest in our holly tree - such a joy:) I read that cutting back on the sugar you use will keep the feeders from freezing. It is something to see a couple Hummers at the feeders when it's freezing out or snow on the ground . . .
So much satisfaction when you can rescue a bird or other critter. We once kept a baby hummer in our bathroom for 2 weeks....feeding it from an eye dropper..until it could fly. Also, rescued an alligator lizard, or that is what we call them. They are yellow orange and kind of look like a snake but have stubby short legs on their sides. They bite hard but ours fell in a galvanized tub and couldn't get out. Also, have saved many regular lizards from our fencing to keep snakes out. They get stuck half way and will die unless we cut the fence. Even the garden spiders we love to see their webs. It all sounds so insignificant but gives us pleasure. Patty McDonald
Wow Bev....your blog today was full of so many cool things. First of all your rescuing that beautiful little hummer. God Bless You for being there at just the right time! Love the pics of your littles too and all the animals and scooping the poop with sparkle shoes! Sure wish I lived next door!!! Love your blog.
Wanda Devers said…
What a miracle to get to rescue that bird!! Glad yall had a wonderful weekend. We did, too. Family pig roast Saturday and a birthday party Sunday for a very special 90 yr old.
Robin said…
The runners are turning out to be very pretty ducks. Glad they have a good home.