Come Bathe With Me

"Shinrin-yoku"
is a Japanese term that means literally "taking in the forest atmosphere."
It's common translation is "forest bathing," a term that has become quite trendy of late.


Shinrin-yoku has been an integral part of Japanese medicine since the 1980's 
and is used for both prevention and healing;
as scientific evidence has shown that spending time in the woods
lowers heart rate and blood pressure,
lowers stress hormones,
and boosts one's immune system.
It has little to do with exercise or hiking, and everything to do with
experiencing nature through all of one's senses.


From personal experience, spending time in the woods gives me
complete peace and tranquility...
something that is often absent in our busy modern world.

I can spend hours just sitting in the woods listening to the bird song,
and watching the sunlight as it plays amongst the leaves.


I find that my mind clears and my senses become heightened.


Often, I take the dogs with me as they, too, enjoy the forest.
Intentionally, however, I sometimes leave them behind so that I can
quietly walk down the woodsy trails with nothing but the sounds of the forest
around me.


Without the dogs, I am more likely to see the creatures who call this place home...
instead of just their tails as they retreat from whom they perceive to be predators.
And although I, too, am considered a predator...
my slow, quiet manner gives them pause - and curiosity wins.


I am learning the calls of the birds who live in our woods:
the "peeeee-e-weeee" of the Eastern Pewee,
the "witchity-witchity-witchity" of the Common Yellowthroat,
the "drink-your-teeeeeeeeeea" of the Towhee,
and the drumming cadences of the various woodpeckers.

This time I hear the raspy, robin-like song of the scarlet tanager...
 although brightly colored,
a difficult bird to spot due to its shyness.


I see one in the distance and zoom in as much as I can... but he keeps his distance,
and my photo is less than perfect.

I could spend the time with eyes wide open,
observing the prolific life that calls the forest home.


Or, I can close my eyes and enjoy the relaxing sounds or the feast of smells that surround me.
A fresh, clean breeze rustles through the high forest canopy,
it's scent gently tickles my nose like a braid of cologned ribbons.
Subtly woven together are delicate florals, pungent pines, and the earthy smell of decay - 
as leaves and bark lie rotting on rich, loamy soil...
surrendering themselves to a myriad of fungi and bacteria,
the ultimate groundskeepers of the woods.


I enjoy this forest bathing in several ways, depending upon the day.
At times I use all of my senses to observe, process and catalog what is around me.
And at other times, I allow my body and mind to just become part of my surroundings...
a passive and more meditative approach.


Either way, by the end of my time in the woods, I am at peace - 
bathed by the perfection that is offered by nature.


My time in the woods has taught me that Nature has the ability to balance herself.
Although, at times she seems ruled by chaos...
I believe that chaos is only the process of regaining balance.
(Perhaps it is her way of undoing what man, in his "wisdom" has done.)

Today, I find no chaos... only order and structure,
purpose and intent, as I give my senses to a higher power.


Perhaps I should offer occasional forest bathing sessions for those interested!


Tomorrow is Summer Solstice,
the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere.
It seems that Summer has sneaked in while we have been enjoying
a most glorious spring -
all things in their own time.
I think I will do a little celebrating in the woods!


PS...to follow up from yesterday's post.
If you are not familiar with fly masks...they are all made from a mesh fabric...
even our plaid ones.  
I have put them over my face and visibility is quite good...like looking 
through a screen door.
So, while it keeps the insects out of the horses' faces,
it still allows for good vision.


Oh, and Patsy... we will look forward to the arrival of your fairies.
You can let them know that I will have fresh biscuits and
homemade jam ready for their breakfasts!!

Comments


Lovely post - I've spent much time in the woods over the years, too - either on horseback or with dogs in tow or exploring with my kids. It's truly restorative and respite from a weary world. If only we didn't have to worry so much about the darned ticks. Bleh.

We all need to do much, much more forest bathing.
littlemancat said…
I agree with Debra - more forest bathing! It makes me think of two books I think you would enjoy - both by Robin Wall Kimmerer - "Braiding Sweetgrass" and "Gathering Moss." They're wonderfully informative, beautifully written - nonfiction.
I could almost hear the birds and smell the woods as you took us along with you. And to see a scarlet tanager!
Mary
This N That said…
Forest bathing sounds wonderful!! Beautiful post..