All In A Day

At this time of year,
by the time most people are just getting out of bed in the morning,
we have already put in a rather full day.


Yesterday was a good example of this.
We awoke during the pre-dawn, dressed,
and headed out to the barn at 5:15.

The pigs and sheep and donkeys were turned out to graze in the cool morning air.
The horses were led from the upper pastures
back to the barn for their breakfast (a pellet feed).


Chickens, ducks, and turkeys were let out for free ranging.


Waters were changed.
Pools were filled.
Manure was scooped.


Then, while Jack cleaned the pastures of the previous night's manure,
I worked in the garden...


picking raspberries, cucumbers, squash, lettuce,
and sugar peas.


By this time, the sun was up and a brilliant new day was beginning.


I headed back to the house to deal with the morning's produce.
The raspberries from the morning and the blueberries from the previous evening,
all went into the kettle...


and by 8 AM I had finished 7 pints of bramble berry jam.


With all of the necessary chores behind us,
we had the whole day ahead of us for other activities.

Our farm friends, Maggie and Macy, and their Mom
(the girls who gave us all those white roosters a few years ago)
came for a farm visit.

Chicks were held.


Kittens were snuggled.
Toads were found.
More raspberries were picked and consumed.

It was a great day, albeit a hot one,
and a full day...
a day filled with summer fun!

I wanted to share this video with you...
a funny phenomenon known as mutual grooming.
If you cannot see the video here,
you will find it at this link HERE.


"You scratch mine - I'll scratch yours!"

Here's a little taste of nighttime around the farm.
Mini lights illuminate the greenhouse for a couple of hours each evening.


Once the sun has slid beneath the horizon,
 we walk the horses back up to the pastures for a night of grazing.
The clouds still carry a hint of light.


Solar lights glow from the garden area.



Have a wonderful weekend!
I'll try to have a video garden tour together for you on Monday.

Comments

daisy g said…
Your posts are one of the highlights of my day. Thank you.
Do you nap in the afternoon? I would need to, after all that work.
Gosh that jam looks good! The fairies are leaving here tomorrow and should be arriving at your place on Monday or Tuesday. They said they are going to take their time. But their little satchels are packed and I fixed them some cherry tomatoes cut into quarters, some tea put into thimbles and covered with plastic wrap and tiny bits of watermelon. Nothing that will go bad before they get there.
This N That said…
Maggie and Macy are growing up. Moonbeam is not a very gentle Groomer ...Zoey grooms Mollie All the time but she does not reciprocate.
You have a very long and productive day. The farm looks lovely at night. Love the greenhouse! Enjoy your weekend. Hugs
Rain said…
That's such a cute video!!! I love it! :) Our cats do the same thing. Why do you put the hoods over the ponies like that? I'm very curious! :) You certainly have a wonderful life Bev, I love your garden harvest...do you have a bubble gum machine in your kitchen??? :)
jaz@octoberfarm said…
the girls sure have grown! you are almost keeping my hours! if i'm not up for quite a while by the time the sun comes up, my day is ruined. i just love the wee hours of the morning. so do the pups. they love laying on the patio listening to everything wake up. it sure was ht and humid here today but a cold front is moving in from canada which will make things more comfortable. have a great weekend!
Shar43 said…
I had a few experiences with grooming recently. Not mutual. The senior cat I adopted around Thanksgiving last year has learned how to get up on the back of my recliner. For summer heat each year, I have 90% of my hair buzzed off. Pretty must think my head is another cat and now grooms my head! It feels a bit rough and also kind of good! It only lasts several seconds, but her hair is a lot longer than mine, so no mutual grooming.