Farewell May

There's no doubt about it - 
meal time is everyone's favorite.
And though, at times, I know my animals are happy to see me,
at meal time they are just happy to see the food!


Now, when we enter the barn,
we are greeted by a mewing duet.


Several times a day we have a little head massaging session,
followed by a little cuddle.
The ferals are officially "not"!

I say this every week, I know...
once again... I cannot believe it's Friday!
Of course, it was a short week with Monday being Memorial Day.
But still... it flew by.
And what a week it was.


Beautiful sunshine interspersed with torrential downpours, hail,
and severe winds that took down trees and knocked out our power.
As bad as it was, it was nothing compared to what others endured this week.
We are quite lucky... only mildly inconvenienced.

Thanks to all of the rain, my garden is growing right in front of my eyes.
So are the weeds.
Check out one of my tomato boxes.


This is number 1 on my "to do" list for today.
It seems that every time I sit down and start to weed,
a storm blows through... forcing me to seek shelter.

It happened yesterday as I was picking salad greens for dinner.


All was calm when I left the house.
Then the sky grew dark... and darker still.


Then I heard it.
It was as if someone had turned on a giant garden hose on the other side of the woods.
I could hear it coming closer... closer... closer.
I grabbed my colander and greens and skedaddled into the gator
just as a wall of rain hit the garden.
Even with a roof over my head, by the time I reached the house...
I was soaked.

Everyone ran for shelter.
The sheep ended up in the pig house.


It's a little crowded with all four inside this small stall.

A word about weeds.
We don't add weeds to our compost pile.

Enough strange things grow there on their own,
like... pumpkins....


and tomatoes...


We place all of our weeds on a separate pile at the edge of the woods.
There they compost and just eventually decompose back into the soil.

******************
I wanted to show you how those Profusion Zinnias change in just a short time.
These were planted before Mother's Day.
They were just single-stemmed seedlings.
Now, they have multiple branches and multiple blooms...
and will only get bigger and fuller with time.
LOVE them!


You may have noticed that I have a few pieced of cement garden art 
in my gardens.


Keep an eye on me, please, and if I ever seem to be accumulating too many
cement ornaments... please plan an intervention.


Not yet, though!


Poor soggy little hummer...


I hope there is sunshine and blue skies in your weekend.
I'll be weeding and weeding... so I hope there are blue skies in mine as well.
Farewell to May... you've been good to us!

Comments

daisy g said…
What a blessing all that rain is! We could use some!

Just curious as to why you don't mulch your veggie beds to keep the weeds down? Straw works great!

Enjoy your weekend. Hopefully, you'll get a dose of sunshine.
Anonymous said…
Your yard is beautiful!
This N That said…
Great foggy picture going down the drive..The weeds are going crazy for sure..I was going to get some Profusion Zinnias this year and didn't..or haven't.Not too late , I guess..I have to find a spot or planter..Your garden art is super..You have plenty of room..No intervention...More thunderstorms predicted for the weekend..not serious though?? Enjoy!!
Everything's growing like gangbusters there on your farm, including the adorable feral kitties!
littlemancat said…
We used to have pumpkins grow out of the compost pile too! Bonus crops! And am so tickled to see the little ex-ferals showing their love!
Mary
Katmom said…
I had to empty out and make new 'nectar' for my hummer's,,, we had a sudden down pour and it watered down the nectar in the feeder... currently I only have 2 Hummers, that I can tell... and they are not shy about 'buzzin' me when I am to near their feeder... lol!