All In A Day

On the subject of those lovely lupines, delphiniums,
and foxglove.
I, too, have never been successful in having them return the next year.
I feel that we are too far south for the lupines... I noticed them growing in abundance all over
the wild of Iceland.
As for foxglove... they are known to reseed themselves, but mine never have.
And delphiniums... the same story... mine never over-winter.
So, each spring I make a little investment in "perennial" flowers that are not.
It's worth it to me... because they are all three my favorites.
And, because we live in the country... the price of flowers in our local greenhouses
is quite low.... really low.
A flower that costs $8+, down in the city, will run about $2.90 here in the country.
(just one more thing I love about country life!) 

Is there anything happier than little, smiling viola faces?

Yesterday was another glorious spring day spent in the garden.
(I did play 9 holes of golf with Jack in the afternoon, though.)
I worked in the garden from 7 AM until 1 PM.
I planted red potatoes, sweet potatoes and more peppers.
I also planted my largest raised bed full of giant zinnias for a cutting garden,
and marigolds in each of the garden boxes to help keep the bugs away.

Jack brought loads of compost from the 2-year-old compost pile by tractor,
so that we could use it to mulch around the plants.


I am hoping that not only will it help enrich the soil, 
but also act as a weed deterrent.
Time will tell.
One thing for sure, though... our compost is loaded with worms...


which will also help to enrich the garden boxes
as well as break up any hard soil.


We took a break for a late breakfast.
Our typical breakfast is a couple of our yummy farm eggs
on a bed of Brussels sprouts, or kale, with a slice of tomato,
and a slice of cheese on top.
Delicious.... and we try to eat vegetables for breakfast as well as our other meals.
Our eggs have orange yolks at this time of year...
the result of happy chickens spending their days in the pasture eating insects.

(Brussels sprouts are sliced thin and sautéed in a little EVOO...
and seasoned with a little finishing salt)

You asked how guinea eggs taste.
I have found that guinea, duck, chicken and turkey eggs all taste
essentially the same... like eggs.
Sometimes there is a varying degree of richness to the taste,
but that is the only difference.

Remember last week I showed you the tiny wren eggs in the bucket by the garden.
You might remember that I left the top bucket on this ladder unplanted
because it held a wren's nest.


Now there are several tiny naked "wren-lettes" with big wide-open mouths
waiting for Mama wren to bring food.


By late afternoon, I was ready to sit for a while and just enjoy our animals.
I sat down in the pig yard next to where Hope was lying by the fence.


Within moments, MaryAnn came and plopped down beside me,


and Chester and Annie joined us.



I love these special moments when everyone is calm and at ease with each other.
It's truly the most magical part of life on the farm.


And judging by the look of MaryAnn's nose,
I'd say the pollen count is a bit high right now!


Comments

This N That said…
Sounds like a perfect day. I envy your playing golf... I miss those days. Glad to know that I’m not the only one who can’t keep things over the winter. I need a bit of color in my garden ... my ornamental puppies should bloom soon. I only have one out of four left! Have a great day.
Dawn P. said…
I'm curious about the pan with the eggs. Is it an antique or where could I purchase one? Thank you. I really enjoy reading your blog each day as I am from your area but live in FL now.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
my nose looks just like maryann's. this pollen is killing me!
Leslye said…
I found your blog about a month ago and ever since I look forward each day to whats new.You live the life I wish I could live.I think you are amazing in all the things you do like taking care of all your animals, knitting,sewing,gardening etc.How do you accomplish so much in a day?You have a great outlook on everything also.Great blog!
Bee Haven Bev said…
Thank you, Leslye!!! Welcome to Bee Haven Acres....glad to have you over the fence!!