Ginger Makes A Break For It

There is nothing like a bright sunshiny day to get everyone moving.
(myself included!)
Yesterday was spectacular... not a cloud in the sky.
Although it stayed a bit on the chilly side, never rising out of the low 40's,
it was the kind of day that energizes.


It seems that it was the kind of day to give the animals spring fever as well.


It all started with a pig escape in the morning.


We were in the pig yard filling their bucket and cleaning up piggy poo,
with the gate chain looped over the fence
(usually enough of a deterrent to keep the pigs inside their yard),
when all of a sudden Ginger pushes her way through the gate and 
onto the farm lane.


I am sure she was in search of food, but I am not sure that she had a plan.


Unless, she was smart enough to know that I would immediately run 
down the lane to the treat box and get crackers to
woo her back into her yard.


"Works every time," says me.

"Works every time," says Ginger.


Later in the afternoon, when we were back out at the barn,
we stopped so that Sammie could have his daily visit with his kitties.


Note Sam's worried expression...
There were only two kitties in their stall.
One was in the wheelbarrow, the other behind their crate/bed.


One had gone AWOL.
I searched the feed room, where I usually find her... but, to no avail.


A little while later, while feeding the horses, I heard a meow
and looked up to see....


Kitty #3.

I put Sammie back in with the other two kitties...


 and #3came out of hiding seemingly wanting to join in on the fun.


The runner ducks spent the day patrolling the farm as well...
running here and there,
covering every inch of the farm and beyond.


I can only imagine how many calories these ducks burn off in a day,
as they travel miles and miles running all over the farm.
They are never still!
They'll be so happy when the temperatures rise enough for the insect population to awaken!


As for me... I am filled with the promise of spring...
newly energized and ready to get busy on gardening and
spring clean up.
The grapes and raspberries need pruning, and the garden boxes need to be
readied for planting.
The snow in the garden is melting quickly...
it shouldn't be long til I can get started.
After all, it is almost time to plant sugar peas and spring greens.

I've been filling my free time with knitting and sewing...
finishing up projects and ideas that will get no attention once gardening season begins.
I love using patterns to make new patterns... hybrids.
I used the upper part of my tunic pattern to make the bodice for this linen dress,
then added a longer skirt.
I love wearing layers, and this is a perfect piece for that.


Natural linen is my all-time favorite fabric and one that I would live in if I could.
I plan to make a few more of these and dye them.


I also up-cycled four over-ripe bananas left from the weekend
into a yummy chocolate chip/ banana-walnut bread.


(I am at risk for not fitting into the above dress if I'm not careful!)

Comments

colleen said…
Love that dress and the banana bread look scrumptious!!
Lynne said…
Usually I would be sleeping at this hour but my Mister Irish
is away this week tending to one of his work responsibilities
and Snickers, our small dog, (“Princess,” said lovingly) is glued to my side.
(Unusual, because it is Mister Irish she usually is glued to.)
And although I have enjoyed all the “glued to attention” it has
has taken me a bit out of my “sleep comfort zone.”
So awake I am, with iPad in hand . . . and you popped up first into my view.

We enjoyed a gorgeous energizing spring day yesterday as well.
Sunny, beautiful blue sky, temperature staying at a brisk 41 . . .
Not the wandering farm animals like you experienced but an
energizing day to begin some of those “spring cleaning duties.”

I have been inspired by your sewing & creating.
I used to sew and made some of my clothes, but haven’t done so for years.
The tunics you have made and adapting a pattern to make yourself a linen
dress has me thinking/feeling . . . like I want to sew again.
I need to look back on your posts and find the name of the pattern book . . .
you have been using . . . sounds like it will be fun to revitalize some sewing passion.

Happy “Spiffy Blackie” is back with his ??, sisters/brothers.
Thank you for the early morning inspiration.
I enjoyed being “glued in” and writing to you Beverly.
Predictions have us expecting some 60 degree weather this week,
I hope you’ll be enjoying some warmer weather too!

Slainte’ . . . enjoy some Irish cheer as well.


Everyone's got Spring Fever!
Michle said…
Where you you buy your linen from?
daisy g said…
Aren't those crystal blue skies just glorious?

I absolutely adore that dress! Linen is my favorite too. Nothing like natural fibers.

Enjoy the sunshine!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
it's almost 60 here today and tomorrow it will be 70. from winter to summer! there is so much outdoor work to do that i don't know where to start!
This N That said…
The dress is adorable..Cute Hybrid..Your bread looks yummy..Looks like you have a lot of escapees up there..Runner ducks, runner pigs and runner kitties..Hard to keep up..Gonna be dry all next week!!