Garden Time


To me, there's nothing better than the feeling of the sun on my face,
as I work the soft, moist soil with my fingers.
A pair of bluebirds sits on top of the garden fence, singing to each other.
The air is cool, but the sun warms my body through my sweater.

Yesterday afternoon truly felt like spring!

After months of rest, the soil is thawed and coming to life.
I finished all of the clean-up chores... readying the raised beds for planting.
I weeded and cleaned up the asparagus bed.
It won't be long before tender shoots of delicious asparagus begin to push up 
from the rich, dark soil.


Don't be fooled by what looks like boxes full of dirt.
There's so much activity beneath the surface...
worms wriggling, weeds coming to life, insects crawling - 
and then there are billions of microscopic organisms coming back to life.
It's nothing short of miraculous... what happens in the soil.

After clean-up, I planted organic sugar peas, scallions, yellow onions, radishes and beets.
As the weeks pass, more and more seeds and seedlings will go into the ground.
Oh, how I long for meals picked fresh from the garden!

After an afternoon spent in the garden, I headed back to the house for dinner...
stopping by the pig yard for a visit on the way.

At the sound of the gator, MaryAnn comes running from her house...


followed by Ginger...


I'd love to say that they run to see me,
but this time, they pass me by and head to the treat corner.


Hubbs is there with Ritz crackers in hand.

Everyone lines up.
Pigs...


Sheep...


Everyone is happy.


Including me!

Comments

I'd smile for a Ritz cracker too! My grandma always had a box of them on hand when I was a little girl.
daisy g said…
The sun shining makes all the difference in the world. It's been just glorious here, and I have enjoyed working outside.

Can't wait to see this year's garden beds full of goodies! I was wondering if you have an irrigation system in place, or is it all hand watered? I am working on a plan for my garden, and love to see other folks' solutions.

Enjoy that beautiful sunshine!
littlemancat said…
The thought of fresh asparagus - so good!
Mary
OHHH--Did Hubbs give you a Ritz cracker too!!!!
luv, di
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i've started giving the W's ritz crackers as treats! they love them!
Marsha said…
Just wondering if you have to amend the soil in your raised beds every spring before planting?
This N That said…
Yes, lot's of things starting to pop through the dirt..including my fingers.Fresh Asparagus..yummy .I've had pink cheeks the past two days..I hear my neighbors motorcycle..Must be spring..Good sheep pics!!
Exciting to dream about the garden goodies!