The Sweetest Moment

Her eyes were deep, brown pools of mystery.
Her lips, soft, sweet and furry...

A love poem, you thought, until you read that word.
Furry.
Furry lips?

Those brown eyes of mystery...
(with their perfect eyeliner)


Those lips would be these...


and they are lips that I never hesitate to kiss.


These two sweet donkey sisters...
I can scarcely find enough adjectives to describe how absolutely sweet they are.


You seriously must get to know them in person.
If so, then you would agree with me.
There's not a sweeter soul in all the world than these two 
big-eared, big-hearted mini-donks.


I've had people exclaim that truly they had no idea how small these two are.
It's hard to ascertain their actual size from photographs.
Their backs are no taller than my hip.

We are kindred spirits, these two and I.
I only need walking out of the barn and calling "donkey girls",
and they come trotting to wherever I am.
They are never an ounce of trouble for me.

Yesterday, when they were done grazing the morning away in the front pasture,
(while the horses spent the day in the upper pasture)
the donkeys came in and took a nap in their shed.

I had just finished afternoon chores and decided to join them.


I sat down in front of Daphne, who was laying in the pine shavings on their floor,
while Chloe stood next to her, keeping watch on their yard.


I slowly slid over beside Daphne and laid my head on her neck.
If you've never smelled a donkey...
they smell lovely.
They have a subtler smell than a horse (and I love the smell of a horse!)
Their fur is coarser... almost wooly.
But their muzzle and lips... so soft.

I laid there breathing in the scent of Daphne, as she laid her lips on my hand.


(Meanwhile, Chloe was busily playing with my pants and my boots
with her lips.)



While all this was quietly happening inside the donkey shed,
outside, the pups were wondering what the heck I was doing.


Lying with donkeys?
Has she gone mad?


It was a sweet, gentle moment that lasted for quite some time...
a moment of sweetness in an otherwise busy chore time.
It's moments like this that make every bit of work done during the day
completely worthwhile.
All of the years of care that I have given my animals has paid off.
They give back to me the affection that I feel so strongly for them.
This farm life is sweet and gentle.
I wouldn't trade it for any other.

It's Friday again and we are possibly facing a winter storm this weekend.
Time will tell...
Either way... we'll be back on Monday to share the stories of the weekend.
Have a good one!



Comments

colleen said…
If those eyes don't melt your heart nothing would. Have a great weekend and try to get some knitting in.
Louise Stopford said…
Those girls are adorable. What lovely moments you have had with them - I would love to kiss those soft furry noses. Have a great weekend.
The JR said…
Sweet, gentle girls. Happy weekend.
Tee said…
Really a sweet post. Thank you for sharing your life!
daisy g said…
What sweet souls they are.

Hope that you will be hunkering down this weekend. Stay toasty!
Sharon said…
Pure innocent love...so precious...thanks for sharing.
This N That said…
Wonderful post. Love your signature! Made me chuckle.
littlemancat said…
Donkey girls - a meditation on love. But how worried the dogs look!) Thanks for the smile and love from the farm.
Mary
littlemancat said…
And I like the little piggie note!
Mary
Dianne said…
I have been in love with donkeys since I was a kid. It makes me so happy to see them in our drives around the Kickapoo Valley. If only, if only!, I could have a couple for my own! I am more than a little jealous that you have those little ones. Stay cozy this weekend.
Anonymous said…
Enjoyed the pictures and your sweet, sincere words.
Phyllis
Karen said…
Oh dear . . . .another post that brings me to tears . . I love ALL animals - but donkeys . . .I just adore them . .all sizes. They just seem so gentle to me. I would have them in a minute - but we have a resident cougar where we live and since he killed my two pet geese years ago (Pete and Tillie - what a couple!) - I hesitate to bring any critters in (well except my dogs and cats:)

So I live through your caring love to your brood. Makes my day - every single time.
Jody in Georgia said…
A post of this kind restores my faith that the world will continue and God is in command. Would love to have been in your place, Bev, communing with those sweet donkeys! Love knows no species.
Lynne said…
Sweet donkey love . . .
Sweet post Bev!