One Last Day

It's the last day of the year...
the last day before we start another trip around the sun.
I find myself feeling a little nostalgic for the year that has just passed...
a year full of precious memories...


365 days full of extraordinary life and ordinary miracles.


We've laughed, we've cried, we've loved and lost.


We've seen things we never imagined we'd ever see.


We tried our best to live each day to the fullest...
taking nothing for granted.


And now, we look forward to the year that lies in front of us...
each sunrise, each sunset, and each moment between.


In truth, we greet each day blindfolded...
with no knowledge of what lies ahead.
We blindly place one foot in front of the other and walk into the future,
never knowing our destination.


It is our task to enjoy the journey...
savoring each moment as it unfolds... as if it were our last.


And so, today, we hold close the memories of the passing year,


and look forward to the adventure of the coming year.
We dream, we scheme, we plan...
never knowing where the road will take us.


No matter what... life is a grand adventure...
precious moments strung together like pearls.

I love the New Year's holiday.
To me it signifies a fresh start.


The Christmas holiday is passed... forever tucked away as sweet memories in my heart.
The decorations are stowed.
The house is clean and re-organized.


My soul is filled with dreams and schemes...
my mind is full of ideas... swirling around and percolating.
And even though I have no control over the future,
I delight in planning for it.
There is still so much to learn... so much to try.
My list is long.

My goals for the coming year revolve around doing as much as I can to
decrease our carbon footprint.
 Having climbed aboard the Slow Food Movement years ago,
I am giving much thought to the Slow Fashion movement as well.
(We can talk about that some time if you are interested!)
My mantra will be... consume less.
Reuse. Recycle. Repurpose.
When at all possible... make it myself.


This past weekend, I removed the pinecones and snowflakes from the pig trough 
that I used for my dining room centerpiece.
Where, in the past, I might have headed out to the craft store for something
to fill it, I decided to use what is around me.
It seemed the perfect place to use the bush full of dry limelight hydrangeas.
And so, I cut them and arranged them on the dining room table.


Perfect!
At least I thought they were perfect.


But, apparently Ivy had other ideas...


It's a sort of metaphor for life.
We arrange... it get's a little messy... we re-arrange.
The messy, itself, has just as much value as the neatly arranged.
Don't you think?

Comments

colleen said…
I'm so looking forward to reading your posts in the upcoming year. I definitely want to hear about the Slow Fashion movement. Great idea for the trough...until...... I really laughed...sorry :) I have to use it up wear it out make it do or do without and I will be happy to see the ideas you come up with. BTW, I had buffalo plaid material and made garland for our Christmas tree, this year..thanks for the idea!! Reduce Reuse Recycle Happy New Year to all at BHA XOXOX
May God bless your home and all that surrounds it. May you have good health, good fortune and peace. Thanks Bev for your wonderful blog. It lifts my spirits every day.
Unknown said…
Looking forward to what the new year brings. We have been trying to reduce our trash. In rural TN we have no trash pick up, so we sort it, take it to the recycling and trash center ourselves. I think if everyone had to do this they would be more mindful of how much trash we create. I often think if you were forced to keep a year's worth of trash it would be shocking to most people how much that is! Can't wait to read all your ideas. Lisa G in TN
This N That said…
LOL... what would we do without our kitties? I hope the new year brings you happiness and joy. xoxo 😘
daisy g said…
I, too, am working toward creating less trash and doing better with my purchasing power. Thank you for your suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

Lisa G-We discontinued our curbside pick-up this past year and now take our trash and recyclables to the dump. I agree with you, that it really does give one a different perspective.

Continued blessings to you, dear Bev and crew, and to all of your readers, who are like-minded souls. Happy New Year!
Looks like Ivy was having fun enjoying the moment! Happy New Year!
littlemancat said…
Your reflections and gratitude for life, for others, and for your beloved animals is inspiring, as always. Your blog means so much to so many of us, thank you and best wishes for a healthy,creative new year.
Little Ivy is having such fun - she probably enjoys the rustling sounds that the dried hydrangea flowers make as she arranges them. <3
Mary
Corgi Lady said…
I, too, am looking forward to updates on reducing your carbon footprint. I have already tried the tooth cleaning tablets and the bar of shampoo and love them both. I enjoy the stories about your family and animals every day. Thanks for sharing.
Cindy said…
Happy New Year, Bev! I look forward to seeing all the ideas you come up with in the new year and adding them to my own. I really enjoy seeing your crafting and gardening projects!