Getting Re-acquainted With Winter

The first order of business,
upon returning home from the sunny, warmer West coast,
was to re-acclimatize my body to the cold.



A brisk 9 degrees F.  yesterday morning helped to make this transition a quick one!


And although it was a great break to wear less bulky clothing...
there is just something wonderful about watching the sun rise,
with lungs full of cold, fresh air.



The only part of me that was out of practice was my hands.
By the time morning chores were complete, my fingers were icicles.


Folks often say "I bet the animals were happy to see you!"
Honestly, I wonder if they even think about the fact that we are gone.
They always have such good care while we are gone,
that I am sure they hardly notice.


We lost a rooster while we were away.
It was not a surprise, however... I had an idea something was wrong with him before we left.
And although I hate to lose any animals, a rooster is the least tragic.
(We had too many.)

Everyone else is in great shape.
The kittens are growing...


But, even with all of the handling that they get,
they are still very "hissy"!
Stinkers!


I am still going to try my hardest to socialize them,
so that neutering them and handling them for vaccinations is easier in the future.


And so, with this cold, cold, cold,
the color drains from our world.
The spectacular hues of summer and fall are soon to become a distant memory.
The last of the leaves will soon dry to a crispy brown and drop to the ground,
leaving behind the skeletal trees on a barren, brown landscape.
Winter brings with it an austere beauty...
dormancy and slumber in a crystalized, frozen world.

Now... I must go thaw out my fingers!

Comments

The Thus said…
Nice Article...
it awesome, and trendy winter its depends on us how we live
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i love the austere beauty this time of year. when we drive through the countryside and see the cut fields i think it is one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen. we are in for a warm up and rain. i need snow!
Wrap those frozen fingers around a nice warm cup of tea!
Rita B Caldwell said…
I'm glad you didn't come home to the 14 inches of snow we had. It has been very cold here as well but I think 13* was as low as it got so far. We think the cold has caused a prolapse in one of our cows and she has a three week old calf on her. We're waiting on the vet now! There's always something to keep us on our toes!

This N That said…
Sorry about your rooster. Yes, less tragic for sure. Hissy, Pissy and Sissy!! If anybody can tame them ,you can.. Enjoy your day..;)