Thoughts From The Day Shift


Sam:  "Hey, Malley, come a little closer."


(whispering) "Did you see this morning's sunrise?"

Each morning, my internal clock awakens me
somewhere between 4 and 6 AM.
It's a time when most people would pull the covers up just a little higher,
and snuggle down into the comfort of their bed for more sleep.


For reasons I don't know,
I am just not one of those people.
I wake up suddenly, fully awake, ready to take on the day.


I'm a morning person.
(And I definitely turn into a pumpkin by 10 PM!)

It's the early morning hours that are most productive for me.
My body, rested from the previous day's activities, is at it's peak in the morning...
as is my mind.


As I work around the farm, feeding and watering animals,
and cleaning up the night's accumulated manure...
 the morning sun rises and the farm is filled with light and color,
and my mind becomes filled with wonder and curiosity and tales to tell.

I am never without my camera, because I know that without it,
I wouldn't be able to share the morning splendor to which I have become accustomed.


I stop what I am doing and watch as the sky intensifies.
Photo after photo is captured...
it's the only way I have of sharing this magnificence with those
who have opted to snuggle back into their beds.


I'm not saying that everyone should greet the sunrise...
after all, the world needs night owls as well.
I count on the night owls to take care of this world while I am asleep.
Every day shift needs a night shift to take over for them...
and vice versa.


I appreciate all of the comments that you left for me yesterday,
both via this blog and via Facebook.
I must admit that some of you brought tears to my eyes.
I was overjoyed that my post about the Climate Assessment was so well received.
I truly believe that the first thing we can all do is to lay aside our differences
and have a conversation.


Just like Sam and O'Malley... leaning in and speaking softly
about what we can all do to decrease our carbon footprint can only help.


We are making some changes in our own life here on the farm to do our part.
I'll share those with you in the coming days.
Every little bit helps.
My way of handling a task that looks overwhelming or daunting,
is to just start with small steps that head in the right direction.


Recyle, reuse, repurpose!
As you can see, the chickens are quite happy to recycle our Autumn pumpkins...
and all of our edible refuse.

More to come...
I love you guys!

Comments

colleen said…
Thanks for sharing the morning pictures. I like when you take them through a tree. I am a morning person who wakes up wide awake but where we live I don't get a chance to see a beautiful sunrise like you do so thanks from the bottom of my heart for sharing. We started to recycle a little over a month ago and I can hardly believe how little we send to the land fill and it doesn't take that much time once you set up your bins/ baskets/ boxes to put the recyclables in. I use clothes line or clothes racks to instead of the dryer. My motto... use it up..wear it out..make it do.. or do without! I even iron the yards of paper that comes in a package from Amazon and use it in crafts or gift wrapping. Oh my gosh you have me on a roll lol. Have a great day! xoxo
What a magnificent sunrise!
tnquilt said…
You fill my heart with hope and wonder.
This N That said…
MyI internal clock awakens me around that time too but it's to go to the bathroom.. It's probably my bladder and not my internal clock. But since there are too many trees to see the beautiful sunrise, I'm one of those that goes back to bed and pulls the covers up over her head. Especially this time of year. I remember when I used to have to go across the bridges to go to work, that beautiful sunrise hit me in the eyes. Fall sunrises are the best. I am also a morning person but I have become more of a midmorning person.. I can blame it on Mollie. She's never in any hurry to get up. Beautiful pictures!