When The Cat's Away...

To some, a rainy Autumn weekend might mean boredom.
To me?
Pure bliss!
Even though we try to live a slow and purposeful life, 
there are days that sweep us away in a flurry of activity.
And while social events and family fun is always wonderful,
there are times when a good rainy weekend at home with nothing on the calendar
is heavenly.


Life on the farm has taught us how important it is to take advantage of the gifts
of every type of day.


It has taught us the importance of seasons,
of sun and rain,
of ebb and flow,
of work and rest,
of fellowship and solitude.


For, without one, it's hard to appreciate the other.

The cat was away this weekend.
Hubbs headed north to visit with his parents,
while I stayed home and tended to the farm.
While the cat was away, this mousie did play!

Being alone has a way of opening one up to all that is around.
The sights, the sounds, the smells.
Solitude and silence make us more aware of that which is outside of ourselves,
if we quiet our brains, as well.
Think less... and experience more.


It rained a bit this weekend, as predicted.
Luckily, though, there seemed to be breaks in the rain at the times that I went outside for animal chores.
I love these times.
I love quietly working around my animals as they go about their
daily business.
Occasionally, they stop what they are doing to interact with me.


A nuzzle, a nibble, a sniff, a lick...
just their way of saying "I see you."
We are bonded... sometimes by food...
but, bonded, nonetheless.
They depend upon me,
and I am committed to doing the best I can for them.
And in return...
a nuzzle, a nibble, a sniff, a lick.
And, it's totally worth the hours of work.


I must confess, I was a bit of a wild one this weekend.
I finished knitting my witchy hat and put it in the washer to felt.

I cut out, and sewed and finished this dress starting early afternoon
and finishing... all in one day.
I stayed up very late (completely out of character),
working like a woman, possessed!


By midnight, I had nothing left to do but hem the dress, 
(which was actually 2 dresses together... reversible)
at which point I realized that I had accidentally sewn the front pockets onto the buttocks.
Rather than start a whole new style trend, I opted to rip out the seams
and sew the pockets on the front, where they would be a bit more useful.
One o'clock in the morning came quickly and finally I finished and went to bed.
Needless to say, it was a very short night,
because the animals don't care if one sleeps or not.
When the sun tickles the horizon,
IT'S BREAKFAST TIME!!


Comments

colleen said…
I can feel the calm of your weekend. The hat and the dress came out perfect, love both!!.... glad to be able to see the pockets :)
jaz@octoberfarm said…
what a perfect outfit! i LOVE the hat!
Lindy said…
Love the pictures...how do you manage to take so many??
This N That said…
What a darling outfit and you look so cute in it... Worth staying up for... Moonie looks a bit chunkier than usual or is it just the angle of the picture? Can he still fit into his saddle? LOL Glad you enjoyed your weekend. Have a wonderful week.
Debbie Nolan said…
Sounds like a great weekend. I love your hat and dress. Glad you enjoyed your quiet time. Have a super week.
Jody in Georgia said…
Ah do declare, honey chile, if you aren't the cutest witch! You wouldn't scare a soul, but could sweet talk them into their candy! Cute!
Rita B Caldwell said…
I just had that "good rainy weekend at home with nothing on the calendar is heavenly" and I agree 100%! I spent mine canning my pumpkin crop and preparing fabric for a quilt for my granddaughter. So far I have 13 pints of pumpkin in the cellar and probably another 24 on the table getting ready to put in jars. Quiet weekend is good but so is a slow cleaning week (every other week)! We took a road trip to Botetourt county today and picked up six hundred-pound bags of "horse" apples to make cider sometime this week. All of our apples were gone before we could pick them due to the wet summer. I can't wait to fill those 1/2 gallon jars of apple juice and can them. I'll be sending some up north to my grandson when my son visits them in the next couple weeks.
I love your dress!!
Dee J. Hartman said…
While farm "pets" slept, with deep, closed eyes, ...you produced a neat surprise!
...With hubby gone, your "mousey" play, ...produced a good witch on display!
...Yes, short-night work this rainy fall... Created a costume curtain call!
..."Rainy-Day Witch, no need to guess==> I love your hat!...I love your dress!"

Lynne said…
“Mousie” Play Days are a great treat . . .
every once in awhile!