Bad To The Wishbone

We've kept chickens for many years, now.
And through the years we've had many breeds of chickens.


It wasn't until this year, however, that we had funky chickens.
Yes, we have five funky chickens right now...
five Silver Spangled Hamburgs...
five hellions.


I call them The Dots... that is, Dorothy Hamburg and her four sisters... quintuplets.


I thought, when I placed my order for chicks, that I would get the usual
brown layer package that I always order.
(Well ordered, pleasant, rule-following hens...you know the kind.)


I must have had a small stroke as I placed the order...
and ordered something completely different...
because what I got is the craziest,
rag-tag bunch of chickens that you could ever ask for.


This group doesn't believe in rules.
No boundaries... no curfews... no rules.


When we first moved this new group of young hens into the large
chicken yard (which is flanked by two large houses)...
these crazy Dots decided they were not sleeping in the houses with the others.
Nightly, we would have to shoo them from the branches of the willow tree
that rises above the chicken yard.


And then we would have to chase them down and catch them in order to 
get them safely tucked inside their houses for the night.
Chicken chasing is not a fun pastime.


This went on for about a week... 
at which point, Hubbs and I gave up.
If the Dots were going to sleep in the tree... so be it.
It's a tall and bushy tree with lots of upper branches...
so we imagined it would be hard for an owl to grab one of the hens perched on a lower branch.
And they were certainly way out of the reach of foxes and coyotes.

Now, however, these five have convinced four other young chickens to join them 
on their nightly curfew protest.
Now we have nine hens roosting above the chicken yard.

I am wondering if it might, in part, be a way to avoid having to sleep 
near these boys...


these crazy rooster boys.


Perhaps... (I can't say that I blame them!)


(Roosters... with their one-track mind!)

Please take heed and let my experience be your guide.
If you ever think you might want to order a few polka dotted chickens,
 because they look really unique...
beware!


These girls will turn your barnyard upside down!

I am thinking that maybe when winter comes and the snow starts to fly,
these girls will re-think their sleeping arrangements.
Time will tell.

Our barn ducks have settled into a daily routine, thankfully.
Each day, these muscovy ducks wander about... usually fairly close to the barn area...
eating bugs.


Meanwhile, the five runner ducks spend their days wandering as far from the barn as possible...
and muddying everyone's water buckets on their way!


Here they are heading up towards Dr. Becky's house.


Thankfully, everyone heads back down to their own yard by bedtime...
at which point, I tuck them into their own house for the night.
Oh, how happy I am that I don't have to chase them back to their house each night!

One thing that I forgot to share with you about our time in Africa...
was the traffic jams...


JUST LIKE HOME!!!


African guineas have lovely bright aqua heads compared to ours...
but their vehicle-sense is equally bad!





Comments

Louise Stopford said…
Thanks for the warning Bev. They look such beautiful girls, very attractive, but they obviously do not heed any rules. I have always had the well mannered orderly brown (hybrid) hens - don't think I could cope with those ladies, no matter how beautiful they are.
colleen said…
When you got the runner ducks I never would of dreamed that they would become my fav. They always make me smile when you post pictures of them.
Lynne said…
The DOTS have made for a delightful post!
So many difference in the past few weeks
Yet traffic jams are the same all over.
daisy g said…
So, these are the biker chicks of the group? Rock on, ladies! Someone's gotta break the rules! ;0D

They're rebel chicks! "You're not the boss of me!"
Laura Sudderth said…
Oh, but the Dots are so pretty! Maybe they are in their rebellious stage. But I agree chicken chasing is not FUN...I remember a lot of F bombs came out of my mouth when I had to chase chickens at dusk.
This N That said…
What a wonderful post. Laugh out loud funny. You are a wonderful storyteller... A tree full of chickens! Who would've thunk it.?.. The first rooster is gorgeous. Never saw chickens with polkadots. Leave it to you. Hope you're having a good week.xxoo
Kari said…
Hi Bev Love your blog! Could you tell me what you use on you dogs when they get sprayed by a skunk. My sons dog got it today!It even got on the carpet. They found something on the internet on what to bath him in but he still smells!! Thank you so much
Lisa said…
When we were new to chickens around 25 years ago, we bought a dozen of these chickens. Beautiful birds that lay well. But something that we didn't know was that when cooped up (pardon the pun) the become canabailistic.. I woke up one morning to several dead chickens being eaten by their siblings. A virtual blood bath! So if your Hamburgs want to roost on their own, let them. Learn from my mistakes. It was sad so sad.

Lisa
Spring Peeper Farm