A Little of This and A Little of That... And Why It Might Be Perfecly Reasonable To Think Me Crazy

Every once in a while I end up with a little of this and a little of that...
small things that I want to share with you,
but not enough for their own blog post.
Today is one of those days.


A plethora of photos that are for the most part unrelated to each other...
because I would hate for them to just go by the way side.

Nice part, Donnie!
So, let's pretend we are just having tea together 
and talking about whatever comes into our (my) heads, ok?

First... THIS....

a duck update and a little more about that bidding war.

Remember the four adult ducks that we bought Tuesday for the pond?
It all happened like this....


We arrived at the auction a little late... it had already begun and the auctioneer was
slowly working his way through the laying hens.
Hubbs and I worked our way through the crowd of onlookers to see if there were any ducks in the cages awaiting auction.
Sure enough we found some.
There were a whole lot of Muscovies that were enormous and fairly filthy.
But there, amongst the dingy white quackery was a cage with four lovely
small ducks... grey, black, white and khaki.
They were calmly sitting there with no idea of their eventual fate.
Despite that, they were peaceful and they were clean!
These ducks didn't look like the others surrounding them, who looked as though they had been around the pond a few times.


I asked Hubbs how high I should bid.
"Do you want them?" he asked.
"Yes!" I exclaimed.
"Then I don't care how high you bid... just make sure you win them from that woman that keeps poking at them.  I don't think she would give them a very good home!"

Giddy with excitement and ready for battle, I awaited the arrival at the auctioneer
at cage #59.

Cage by cage, he worked his way over... and the bidding began.
"Do I hear 5 dollars?"
I raised my bidding card (and so did the poking woman and another man)
"Do I hear 6?"
Again... three heads nodded.
We continued....  " Do I hear 7? 8? 9? 10? 11?
The poking woman dropped out of the bidding.
It was me and the balding man behind me.
"Do I hear 12? (two nods) 13? 14? 15? 16? (two nods each time)
Who is this balding man behind me and what does he know about these ducks that I don't?
The adrenalin was flowing through my veins.
I am not sure what possessed me, but I was determined that these ducks were coming home with ME.
"Do I hear 17? (nods) 18? (nods) 19? (nods) 20?(nods)
Before I knew it, I was nodding my head at $25.
"Do I hear 26?"
The balding man dropped out.  I guess he had his limit.
I was practically jumping with glee.  Four ducks for $25!
I wanted to move the ducks into our transport cage, 
so I headed over to the office to pay for my ducks.

"That will be four ducks at $25 a piece."
A PIECE?
You mean I had just bid $100 on ducks?
(At least I wasn't alone... the balding man thought they were worth that as well.)

Lesson learned... we packed our ducks into the transport cage...
at this point you would assume that we headed home.
But no, we had seen 7 youngsters that we also wanted to bid on.
This time we were smart and set an upper limit....which was not exceeded.
Apparently the balding man did not want 7 baby ducks... lucky for us.

We loaded our new flock into the truck and headed home.
The middle of the story you already know.
Pecking order was established and peace settled upon the pond.

Later that evening we drove down to check on the ducks... only to find the new ones gone.
Perhaps they were roosting somewhere we couldn't see.
They'd be there the next morning for sure.
Except.
They weren't.
No, our $100 ducks had packed their bags and moved on.
I assume they climbed over the lower end of the pond and rode the stream down to the creek below.

I can only say...
we were dumbfounded.
And I have decided that this is our last duck debacle.
(throwing my hands in the air)
For now.

Happily, all of our youngsters are getting along splendidly.
The two groups (runners and newbies) have become one.
Apparently, one of the runners is "special" and keeps needing to be rescued from predicaments,
like this...



And now THAT....

Seen from the truck as I travelled around the countryside...


Baby fox by the roadside.


Young Amish boy with six in hand, plowing a field.
He looked to be between 10 and 12.
Amazing.


Guess who escaped and somehow got the lid off the goat feed?
I wasn't home at the time.  Just sayin......
Thanks to Rob, Jace and Taryn for the round-up!!

This Momma mockingbird has been yelling at us when out in the garden.


And dive-bombing the cats.


And this is why....


So nice having tea with you.
Hope you join me again...
as you can see there is always something to talk about!

Comments

Louise Stopford said…
So sorry that your new ducks for the pond have decided to leave - they obviously didn't know what a good thing they were on to. Perhaps they will return - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you (and them). Lovely photo's (as usual). You live in a wonderfully beautiful part of the world (I am very envious). Thanks to your generosity, we can share it with you and I enjoyed that cup of tea and the chat.
Colleen said…
I choked on my tea when you said $25.00 dollars EACH!!! Do you think there will be any chance of them coming back? Thanks for sharing the random pics, it was fun.
It's quite possible you've got duck predators taking the new ducks that don't know their new surroundings. They are probably making those little duck noises as they sort out their new home and that might be attracting the predators - around here the only ducks that don't eventually get taken are those in enclosures or the wild ones who are more savvy. I love ducks but I don't have the proper surroundings to keep them safe, or a natural pond like you. I laughed at your auction story - that sounds like something I would do. Who woulda thought $25 per duck!

GeorgiaHoneyBee said…
I love your stories! Thanks for sharing!!
daisy g said…
A little of this and that is a good thing. Purges the memory to make room for new ones!
Oh My Stars. Those were some pricey ducks. I was wondering why you didn't keep them corralled for a bit until they got used to their new home like the babies. I guess they need to be in the water right away.

Great pictures of Hubbs with the horses!
Bee Haven Bev said…
It's true, we do have predators....but in the time that we were away, I can't believe that something took all four. I tend to think they left.... but who knows. As for corralling them for a while.... there really isn't a good place at the pond for that unless we close them up in the duck hut. That, however is not secure these days....critters have been burrowing into it. For now I have just decided to forgo getting more ducks for the pond. The losses are too hard to take.
Anonymous said…
Enjoyed your random pictures! So sorry the four new ducks left.
Hahahahahahahaha, I'm sorry to laugh but that duck story is just toooooo funny!
Dee J. Hartman said…
....Hope you are not out of luck.......and get back each and every duck!... To lose one hundred for those four!....Will you replace them with some more? ..Or will you wait the summer long...To make sure they are really gone...and that they may come back some day? ...to come back home, let's hope and pray!
Marilyn F. said…
What a duck story. $25/duck! Expensive. I think I'd clip their wings so they couldn't fly away, but then you'd have to probably pen them up at night to keep them away from predators. Wonder if they ended up back at their old home? Maybe you could go round them back up?
This N That said…
Great post . Love your this and that. Sorry about the ducks. Cute story live and learn.
They were expensive ducks.. Nice series of pictures and tales.😉
Ruthlynn said…
Love your farm post. Around here in the Ozarks ducks are at their highest price now. It is laying season and duck eggs are hot right now. The best time to buy poultry in in winter. No one wants to buy feed nor use electricity all winter long for non laying poultry. Poultry go for cheap, really cheap- the cage is worth more. From Oct-Feb is the best time. After that you compete with seasonal buyers and hobby farmers for anything with feathers on it. Hope this helps in your future poultry purchases.
Ruthlynn said…
It takes 3 nights to teach poultry to go back into the coop at night. My Indian runners learned in only 1 night. Two of us walk on either side of the pond with rocks in a tin can and flash lights, making the pond a bad place at night making noise and hoopin' holerin'. The ducks jump out of the pond and run to the coop where it is quiet and safe and I close the door. Three nights of this drama and they go in as soon as darkness falls. During the day we have 2 shepherds that guard our flock. Ducks are so much smarter than chickens. Hope this helps you.
An American in Tokyo said…
I love your blog post today!!!
Please think of doing them more often! Maybe once a month? =D

I was so shocked when you said the ducks were $25 EACH!!!
I wonder if they didn't know you had given them a new home...maybe they thought you had just set them free?! Oh well, I hope they have a long and enjoyable life!!
diane in northern wis said…
Ha! This was a fun blog, Bev....feel free to do one like this anytime...I love all your stories from around the farm. Wow...those four ducks took off huh? amazing. I love all your little ducks but sure hope the foxes don't get 'em. I guess there's always something to be worrying about. I loved your story about the duck auction....yikes! We have Loons here and they come back every year. Nature is amazing!