Blue Wednesday

Blueberry season has officially begun!


Every spare bit of time we have is filled with picking delicious orbs of blue juiciness.


And every spare minute of today will be filled with making jam...
our favorite blueberry lime jam!


Yesterday while picking our 100 young bushes, I happened to spy
this little nest with a single egg.


It is the nest of a house finch.
I had actually noticed the nest in the process of being built this past weekend while picking.
It appears construction is complete with the inside layer being soft horse hair.


I am assuming more eggs will follow.
I will keep watch over this precious little nest and give you updates.

Meanwhile, class continues at the Birdbrain Academy.
One of the three elder guineas has remained outside the dormitory at all times.
It's a good thing, too, as these adolescent birds need a chaperone,
or who knows what tomfoolery they might engage in!


Now, to fire up the stove and get busy making jam.
I'll share the end result with you tomorrow.
Yum!

Comments

The blueberries look so good...I have trouble getting them to grow here.
I hope the elder is teaching his class what they need to know to survive. I can imagine the chatter in that class.
Happy jam making!
TxFarmhouse said…
Oh my, looks like you've got your work cut out for you! I would have blue all over my kitchen!
Love your guineas..and the way you have one in charge.
Maybe one of young guineas will be a mate for the guys and you will have an endless opportunity to raise these silly birds:-)
Have you considered a new lady for the turkey guys?
Junebug said…
Can't wait for the jam results. I think you need to post the recipe also. I'm very interested in trying this. I've made 8 batches of strawberry jam since the plants keep producing. Off to work I go, hi ho, hi ho, hi ho!!!!!!
Your blueberry lime jam sounds delicious. You will certainly be busy with that huge bucket full of blueberries.
Thanks for the pics and visit on your delightful farm! I love blueberry jam, blueberry pies, blueberry scones...and so on! Here in the Pacific Northwest, I have discovered marionberries - another delicious berry!
BaileyWife said…
Do you ship your jam to willing taste-testers??
This N That said…
"Birdbrain Academy","orbs of blue juiciness", How do you come up with these phrases?? That's what makes reading your blog such fun (among other things)..I've seen quite a few of those eggs on the ground the past few days...I hope it's not because of crows and blue jays...
Country Gal said…
Wonderful photos ! Blueberries are Papa and my fav Blueberry anything YUMMY ! Have a good day !
Kris said…
Those juicy orbs look wonderful!!
I SO hope you share the recipe!! It sounds fabulous.
Sharon said…
I would love to have your recipe for blueberry/lime jam. That sounds wonderful!
Katmom said…
Well faschnizzles! my blue berry plants have not even bloomed yet... I guess they just don't like all this rain & winds we have been having!
Looks like way to much fun is being had over @ the Beehive (aka-your home),,,,
Hugz and hope you still want to come Glamp over here next June!
>^..^<