A Garden Takes Shape


After many hours of tilling and raking, the plot of land that once was a beautiful vegetable garden is again starting to take shape. The rows of strawberries are uncovered and stretching their leafy arms towards the sun. The soil is soft and teeming with worms. The compost is worked in and releasing its' nutrients. Several mounds are planted with onions, garlic, sugar peas, beets, lettuce, spinach and radishes. Seeds that were started in the greenhouse are beginning to germinate, sending tiny leaves upwards towards the light and warmth of the sun. There is still so much more to be done, but it feels great to have a jump start on the work. How tasty that first Spring salad will be with these wonderful greens. Last year we planted about 40 asparagas roots. This year will be our first mini harvest of asparagas. We will harvest just a small amount of the shoots as they errupt through the earth. The rest will be allowed to remain to strengthen the plants. Next Spring's harvest should be a large one.....Mmmmmmm Mmmmmmm...there is nothing like fresh asparagas spears....steamed as soon as they are cut. You just cannot get any fresher than that!

Comments

Katmom said…
Bev,
How lucky you are to be able to start your garden,,,I still have a few more weeks,,,Mid-May, and then it's Tractor races twixt hubby & me....watch our dust fly!!! lol!
Let me know when it's time for asparagas,,,I'll bring the cheese sauce! yum!
>^..^<
That sounds heavenly! I just planted a bunch of stuff in my garden as well... I also did a math in the garden class for our homeschool group and have been really enjoying the spring weather... rain and all. :) You spot looks beautifully barren... for I know, that there is bounty under those hay covered beds... and they will poke their heads out and you will have no space to walk in a couple months. Nature is spectacular!

Blessings,

Val
Yay! Bev! I love asparagus...you go you whirlwind! Mine are being planted this year, so no fresh for me this year, but I will watch your blog for great pics! Missin ya these days!
Hello Sweet Bev! You are so very busy with wonderful things!!! Love your garden and can't wait to see it in full bloom! You need to tell me about your carriage lessons!!!! I was going to start doing that before we decided to move. My hubby thought I would love it! Off to visit your sewing blog! Love you! Maryjane xo
Cheryl M said…
I love fresh asparagas! They are really good cooked on the BBQ with a bit of olive oil then add some parmesan cheese.
Kim said…
Wow, your veg garden is so organised and will be lovely when it's in full growth. A couple of my asparagus tips peeped through the soil and by the next day were gone! I'm throwing blame around the field like arrows, but none of the wildlife will own up!

Kim x