No More Quiet Mornings

There's nothing better than a grey autumn day.
For some reason, my favorite day this time of year is one with lots of clouds.
A dramatic sky moved in yesterday afternoon...
the wind kicked up and a stray shower moved through.


To me, it felt like autumn... perfect, peaceful autumn!

I spent the day doing miscellaneous projects.
I worked in the garden... cleaning up the past season's remains,
getting ready to tuck my garden boxes in under a blanket of compost.


You might notice the straw on the box in the forefront of this photo.
We covered the strawberries with straw a couple of weeks ago.
After a couple frosts, the plants go into dormancy.
Once this happens, it is time to cover them with a blanket of straw.
It is necessary to cover strawberries before the temperatures dip down to 20,
to avoid damage to tender young shoots.

Once spring has arrived, I will clean the straw from the top of the plants 
and use it as mulch to cover the soil around the plants.
Having straw on the ground helps to keep the berries from rotting on the moist ground.
Hence....straw-berries!

A few years ago I found this old kerosene heater in an antique store.
It was blue... not a color that works well in my house.


It took up residence in the old log cabin... until yesterday.
I decided to give it a face lift... painting it black.


I installed some autumn lights,
and gave it a home in my kitchen.


I think the autumn lights look like hot coals.


I tried a new bread recipe and made these rolls.


They are so yummy!!

And last, my peaceful mornings doing barn chores are over.
The barnyard has a whole new soundtrack!

Comments

An American in Tokyo said…
Wow, those guys sure are talkative!!

I love how you put the lights inside the old heater and made it look like coals!! So creative!!

I hope you enjoy your Friday and your weekend!
Lynne said…
Love the charm you have added with the old heater.
And your breads, rolls, shortbread . . . recipes too . . . thank you!
Grass doesn’t grow under your feet . . . you must bounce with energy!
daisy g said…
I wonder what they are so excited about?

The heater is gorgeous! Love your creativity with the lights.

Enjoy your weekend, Bev.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i love what you did with the heater! guineas sure are noisy! glad you like the rolls!
Wow, you gave that old kerosene heater beautiful new life!
Unknown said…
Looks like we have identical weather. Dark and grey. I had that old stove. Mine was porcelain and turquoise. Such fun, I love how you put the lights inside. Cute in the kitchen.
Kathy said…
The stove is beautiful....great idea! I find comfort in grey cloudy days for some reason. They just seem peaceful. Sounds like those squeaky birds need oiled!
This N That said…
The kerosene heater looks super..The lights are a perfect touch..I can think of more soothing sound tracks ;). Your rolls look wonderful. Have a good weekend..Promises to be pretty ugly..I don't mind rain and grey skies but I a m not a fan of wind..xxoo
Hi Beverly,
Love the sounds of the barnyard! You really did a fantastic job with the
old kerosene heater, I love it.
Thank you so much for coming over for a visit and leaving such encouraging words about my dolls. I really did enjoy creating them.
blessings dear friend
Penny
Donna said…
Oh, the rolls look wonderful! Thanks for the recipe!
hughugs
Louise Stopford said…
And what a wonderful soundtrack that is!! Those guys/girls are surely enjoying life (hope they all keep safe). The heater looks lovely and it deserves a nice place in your kitchen.