Signs of Autumn

Autumn is here.


And although the temperature belies that fact right now...
there are other signs.


The Purple Beautyberry is spectacular.

The chicken pens are lined with heath asters. (And ragweed.)


As I gather eggs, I walk through the middle of these wildflowers...


and the sound of insects buzzing from blossom to blossom
is all I can hear.


Dry leaves are starting to accumulate on the ground...


causing that familiar "crunch-crunch" as I lead the pigs and sheep out to pasture.


No one has much energy when it is this hot out!

With cold weather right around the corner,
we took delivery on another load of hay.


One hundred bales needed stowing... and only Hubbs and I were there to do it.


I loaded each bale on the hay elevator,
sending it into the hayloft of the barn, where Hubbs neatly stacked it.


Thankfully we finished this task during the cool of morning.


Some consider themselves exempt from such chores!


Others watch in fascination.


As you can see, Fancy Nellie is taking one of her many baths for the day!

In case you were wondering how Sam is doing...


He is doing great!
He walks on all four legs now and only has a slight limp.
I am so glad we did not put him through an ACL reconstruction.
I honestly think he is exactly where he would be if he had had the surgery...
without all of the trauma.

Hot off the needles... the grey to teal gradient scarf...


Also, a silk wrap that took me months (the silk yarn was so thin... endless knitting.)


Autumn inspired me to start this wrap with some yummy yarn that reminds me of fall foliage.


Comments

Colleen said…
I would love to have or even just see Purple Beautyberry! We have been having breaking record heat....I can't even imagine handling hay!! Maybe the Nellies don't like sharing a pool.😉
The knitting looks great!

Love the new yarn and we all love Sammie! So glad he is doing better.
Lynne said…
Fall is in the air . . . no doubt about it . . .
Love your beautifully knitted pieces . . .
And SHE helps bale hay too . . , oh my!
This N That said…
I'm dreaming of Autumn..hoping my dreams will soon come true..Love the grey to Teal !!
Your fingers have been very busy..Lovely things..Glad Sammy is good!!
Anonymous said…
9/2017 hi there,a beautiful day here in northeast Tenn. First I want to say you and your husband are a cute couple.love your place and all those wonderful animals. In 1988,my family and i bought a small farm a little less than a 100 a. We started out like you guys with different animals. We had cows,goats,goose,donkeys,dogs,cats,and all kind of wild animals.We really liked it for several years. My husband and I worked in town and got home about 5:30 every afternoon. We were several years younger then, anyway in 2005 my husband had a really bad heart attack and then a few years later I had blood clots in my lungs,so that changed a lot of things. That is why I love reading you post. Every morning coffee,honey bun,and post mon-fri. Love you, Alline at Willowbend Farm.Thanks!!!