Moonbeam's Big Test

Early every morning we walk the horses up to the upper pastures.
It takes three trips...
Moonbeam...


two "Littles"...
and then, two ponies.


Typically, a few dogs and turkeys follow along, as well.
If Hubbs and I work together it still requires two trips.


We've been wondering what would happen if I led the Littles,
and he led the ponies,
and we let Moonbeam go by himself, without a halter.


We tried the grand experiment on Sunday morning.
They had been out in the pasture for several hours during the cool of the morning.
By 10:30 it was getting buggy and hot...
time to go back to the barn for their chow (vitamin/mineral supplement) and fly masks.

Hubbs, led the Littles back to the barn....


and then came back for the ponies.


The plan was to open the gate of the pasture after he had the ponies haltered,
and just let Moonbeam free.

Here is the big test:



What a good boy!
I am pretty sure that any one of my horses would do the same.
They hate to be separated from their family.

One thing is sure, however, I would not try this experiment in the morning
when I first let them out.
With all that good hay growing all around, who knows where he would end up!

Comments

Colleen said…
He knew what was waiting for him in his stall ☺ Glad you got that on video, was fun to watch.
Louise Stopford said…
Reminds me of when I had my pony (many moons ago) and I had to get him out of the field with a lot of other horses and ponies. It was difficult because all the horses would gather around the gate making it hard for me to halter Merlin and open the gate with just him coming through and not the whole herd!! I therefore used to open the gate and let him run out free and close the gate as quickly as possible to stop the escapees. He used to run straight to his stable. I know it was because he knew there was food there for him, but that was our routine and it never failed. He was a very bad tempered pony (you never know what they have gone through in their earlier life) and everyone at the stables was terrified of him because he didn't think twice about biting or kicking. I got through to him (eventually) with lots of love & FOOD.
Bee Haven Bev said…
Louise.... I love a happy ending!
daisy g said…
He's such a good boy. And so handsome too.
This N That said…
Beautiful. Good boy Moonie! Enjoy your week!
Good boy, Moondbeam! They get tired of the bugs too and look forward to the cool stall and shade areas. Sometimes I'll try something like this if I know they are ready to "come in". And you're right - thankfully they don't like to be too far away from their herd.

Attila said…
When I worked with horses, we would bring in several ponies each and once safely in the yard, let them all go; each would go to their own box to their waiting feed every time. Only a new one or a change of box would mean we had to put one or two away ourselves for a while. Amazing what a feed does!
That first photo is quite the flattering shot!
An American in Tokyo said…
What a smart guy!!
How old is Moonbeam, by the way?
And how long have you had him?

(Just wondering how long he's been going through this routine to know it so well!)
Lynne said…
Good Boy Moonbeam . . . liked your frisky run back to the barn.
I enjoyed watching the video . . .