It Isn't Spring Without Chicklets!!

Last year was the only year on the farm that we didn't have chicks...
and Spring just didn't feel right.
With egg numbers dwindling (due to too many geriatric chickens)...
we felt it was time to breathe a little new life into the flock.


Meet our nine new gals, Beebee, CeeCee, DeeDee, Fifi, Gigi, Kiki, Lily, Mimi, 
and Sissi.


They are four-week-old Rhode Island Red/Black Sex Link crosses.
In a few short months they will be laying delicious brown eggs.

I am heading to Tractor Supply today to see if I can find just a few more girls to add to this batch.


It's always so much fun to watch them grow!


And speaking of growing....
the garden!
Can't wait to show you all that is coming up.
I see veggies coming out our ears in just a couple months.
We've started cutting asparagus this week....YUMMY!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
How do you know the peeps are girls at this young age?
Louise Stopford said…
Absolutely adorable!! I just love chickens but have always got mine at 4 months old (POL). I wouldn't be confident enough to bring up chicks - My girls have always been fully vaccinated and are full grown by 4 months. I can see you are going to have so much fun watching them grow and I know that you are going to give them a wonderful life. Also interested in what Marsha said - how you you be sure they are all girls, although I believe they can be sexed at day old, but how accurate can this be? Exciting times ahead on your farm.
daisy g said…
Such a handsome brood! Love the names.
Can't wait to see your veggies!
Can you really tell them all apart?
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i can't even go into tractor supply this time of year!
Junebug said…
I have to stay away from any farm store. It is way to tempting,way too cute! Can't wait to see the garden. We are having record rainfall and even snow! No planting anything in cold mud! I will have enjoy Spring through you!!!!!
This N That said…
It's always good to have little ones on the farm..Can you really tell them apart? Fresh Asparagus...Yummmm
diane in northern wis said…
Sure wish that I lived close enough to buy some of your delicious veggies this summer, Bev. Your summer bounty always looks amazing!
An American in Tokyo said…
Ooooo, I've never seen chicks grow up!
Maybe I can through your blog!!
They are sooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!
sandra said…
I have such wonderful memories of the baby chicks when I was little. My grandmother had them often and then my family got them one year. They crack me up when they are in teenager stage :}. I remember loving how they smelled when they were little. Is that weird,lol????