A Chicken In Pajamas?

With the additional 2 ½ inches of rain the past two days,


our total rainfall since Saturday is 5 ½ inches.


We are soggy...
so soggy that the ducks don't feel the need to be in the pond.


Honestly, we have all enjoyed the break from the sun and the heat and the bugs!


What a pleasure for the equines to be able to go without fly masks and not be bothered by insects.


As for me...chores take half as long without having to water.


And the gardens are quite happy.
I spent 15 minutes last evening tying up these tomato plants.
They are growing like weeds and most have tiny tomatoes hanging from them.


The pumpkin plants have taken off as well.

My gangly teenagers usually spend their days out of doors now.
Yesterday, with all of the rain that we had, they stayed in until evening....


They all have their mature feathers now and are just miniature versions of
their adult selves.


"I can hear you, but I sure can't see you!"

This little gal is my "surprise" extra that came with my order.
To me it looks as though she's wearing pajamas, or maybe pantaloons!
I have never seen her leave the henhouse....
so maybe she IS wearing pajamas!

She's going to be a lovely hen when she fills out a bit!
I think I will call her PJ.
Yes?


I am happy to report that my wedding "To Do" list is getting shorter each day.
Yesterday I finished making the pizza crusts... another 46 completed, packaged and frozen.
The decorations and flowers are finished.
The signs are finished...


We try not to waste any food...
I made this for wedding day...
to assure that food is not wasted, but rather, saved for the chickens.

Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
pj is a perfect name! we have had hardly any rain at all? in fact, i have to go out and water now. sigh!
Barbara Beach said…
We here in California could use your rain!
How many chicken total do you have? With the newest "batch" growing-up it seems like you have quite a few. And are they all used for eggs?
Love seeing all your animals and glimpses into your life on your well-loved farm. Thanks so much for sharing.
colleen said…
Must be a good feeling that everything is near completion for the wedding. I think pj should be baby doll....sounds like much fancier Jammie's than pj......just saying.... 🐔 😁
Bee Haven Bev said…
Hi Barbara...we are hovering right around 150 chickens right now. They are all free ranged around the farm...except the babies (who will join the rest in the next few weeks). We sell our eggs. So, yes...they are all for eggs, except for those who are just retired.
Lynne said…
You indeed have had plenty of rain . . . I hope it doesn't bring out the mosquitoes in time for the wedding!
PJ wonder will be fun to watch . . .
Happy wedding chore list has many things checked off!
Carla said…
My goodness, I hope the people in your life know just how much you do for them. :) You are the 'hostess with the mostest'.
Question: With 150+ free range chickens, how do you figure out where all the eggs are being laid? Mine free range and are provided with several nest boxes around my property. They lay in those boxes for a week or so, and then start hiding the laying spots. Every day is an Easter Egg hunt.
Kathy said…
You think of everything! Maybe when it's all said and done, you could give us some tips on having a wedding at home. Add wedding planner to your long list of accomplishments!
Anonymous said…
So happy to hear wedding list is getting shorter. PJ will be a cutie, I still remember Rod Stewart, LOL. All my girls have stopped laying, not sure why???? A couple of oldies and just pet but the youngsters best get with it.Enjoy your day, June
Unknown said…
P J is perfect. I seem to stay in mine longer the older I get...ha! Love the chicken scrap sign for the wedding...great idea, they will eat well and enjoy the celebration too. Glad you are making progress and the rain is giving you a bit of extra time for the wedding plans.
This N That said…
PJ will be very pretty..A chicken after my own heart :)..We had about 3 inches of that most welcome rain..Yay..no bugs, no swollen ankles..on the flip side is a constantly wet dog!! I'll take cool,bug free and nice ankles any day..Your tomatoes look great..15min huh??? You put the energizer bunny to shame..xxoo
An American in Tokyo said…
Lovely how everything is getting so green and the chicks are growing up!

I love your chicken scraps bin! Great idea! I hope they eat well during/after the wedding festivities, too! hee hee!
deodar said…
I just read a little blurb somewhere or other about a chicken with such a poofy hairdo. She never came out of the coop until her owner trimmed her bangs, seems she had trouble seeing through them!
FoA said…
I love the chicken
Anonymous said…
Love the food scrap sign!