Sleepy Sunday

Some days it's just too cold to get out of bed!  This was yesterday morning with the thermometer down in the 20's - the cats weren't even interested in eating the breakfast that Jack served - but instead kept sleeping beneath the heat lamp on the workbench.  We've never seen them do this!

I am guessing that they've had it with cold weather... a sleep-in protest!  It certainly looks like spring outside, but this weekend it still felt like winter!

Every day, we find more evidence...

Most all of our weekend was spent here on the farm

 - with Jack doing all the work, and me, trying to rest my injury (and going somewhat out of my mind from the lack of activity!) 

We received an inch of rain between Friday night and Saturday noon.

Did you know that an inch of rain is equivalent to 27,154 gallons of water spread over each acre?  I was flabbergasted when Jack gave me that statistic!  Which means that between Friday and Saturday, our little farm received 3,665,790 gallons of water!!  I think that is incredible!

Of course, all of the water that didn't soak into the ground froze on Saturday night, and turned to mud on Sunday.

If things go as predicted, the temperatures should be more seasonable this coming week, with highs in the 50's (that's more like it!).

Hubbs constructed my second trellis tunnel in the garden, yesterday.  (I supervised.)  This summer I will grow cucumber vines, squash and gourd vines on this trellis.  In my mind's eye, I see the fruits hanging down beneath the trellis.  I am hoping that by keeping the vines and fruit off of the ground, it just may help with the squash beetle problem.  I'll let you know how it turns out!

The tunnel was made using three cattle panels, held in place with fence stakes hammered very deeply.  The panels are wired together and wired to the stakes as well.

Also, Saturday afternoon, Jack took the dogs for a woods walk (I am banned for the time being as these seem to exacerbate my fracture pain).  On his way to the woods, he saw this on the fence around the riding arena...

We see bald eagles quite often, but never just sitting like this.  Apparently, this eagle was quite intent watching another eagle that was flying above... seemingly unaffected by the proximity of Jack and the dogs.  Great shot, Jack!!

While in the woods, he continued a clean up of an area that we found had been used for a dump.  It is full of glassware and metal which we will eventually recycle.  However, we have found some great pieces of glass that I have kept.  Saturday, he found this one...

I love it!  One side says "water" and the opposite side says "juice".  It was filled with dirt, but after a little elbow grease, it's good as new!  Now to find a lid!

We had dinner with our Littles on Saturday evening, so I spent a portion of Saturday morning baking for them...

sourdough bread, sourdough baguettes, lemon cupcakes with raspberry frosting, and decorated shortbread cookies


The rest of my "down" time was spent reading and painting signs for the garden (more on that tomorrow.)


Comments

Jody in GA said…
So sorry your "mending" is taking longer than you'd like, but you have the best backup plan (Hubbs) available!! Hope some warmer weather speeds the healing - y'all have a blessed Easter.
Wowee! In upstate NY we had about 8" heavy wet snow, freezing rain, ice. Sat. night the almost full moon came out and with its brightness, clearing skies, iced and snowy trees the view was spectacular!! Even today the trees are like crystal, still encased in ice. I wish I could share a picture!
Rose said…
Oh my gosh! That green bottle is a wonderful memory. There was always one in my grandfather's refrigerator.
It was prune juice! I haven't seen one in years.
This N That said…
I'm with your kitties. Bed is so comfy and cozy and warm!
Glad you are healing well..... Hope it continues.
We also had an inch of rain. Always welcome! Wow.. That is quite a statistic and a whole Lotta water. Glad it is spread out!
Your trellis looks great. Good job!
Cool photograph of the eagle. I've never seen one that I could photograph. Great shot indeed!
Love the bottle!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
THIS IS SUCH AN AWESOME POST...WOW...I SHOWED THIS TO MY "GIRL" AND A NEPHEW ..HE WAS DOWN FOR BHB TO DO HIS TAXES... HE ALWAYS WAITS UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE...I HATE US NOT HAVINGA GARDEN AND I WAS HOPING THAT MIGHT CAUSE MY GIRL T AGREE TO HAVE 3/4 RAISED GARDEN BOXES...AND HAVE THE WIRE GOING OVER IT FOR CUMCUMBERS,ETC...YOU TWO ARE SOOOOOOOOOOO VERY TALENTED...AND DO SOME REALLY GREAT THINGS ON YOUR FARM...WOW..WHAT A GREAT IDEA TO PUT THE TRELLIS WIRE OVER THE TOP IN A HUGE BOW...GREAT PICS...YOU ARE SUCH A LOVING AND CARING LADY...WE OCCASIONALLY SEE BALD EAGLES...WE LIVE CLOSE TO DUCK RIVER..PLUS WE HAVE A SPRING AND A CREEK THAT RUNS THROUGH OUR FARM... PLUS A POND ON THE HILL ABOVE US...THANK YOU ""AND"" HUBBS FOR MAKING OUR DAY AND TEACHING US AT THE SAME TIME...YOU ARE LIKE A RAINBOW IN THE SKY...WE HAAVE SEVERAL REAL OLD BOTTLES WE HAVE FOUND ON THE FARM...WE HAVE LIVED HERE OVER 40 YEARS NOW..THIS WAW WERE MY GIRL WAS BORN AND RAISED..YES..SHE WAS BORN IN THE OLE HOUSE..WHICH WE EVENTUALLY HAD TO TEAR DOWN AND BUILT A NEW ONE...THANK YOU AND HUBBS FOR ALL YOU DO TO MAKE OUR DAY..PRAYING THAT YOU HEAL QUICKLY...KEEP SMILNG AND HAVE A SUPER FINE DAY...IT WOULD BE SO WONDERFUL TO GET TO MEET THE TWO OF YOU !!!!!!
deodar said…
I had a beetle problem one year. When the gardens were done I let the chickens in and the next year I planted Borage, it reseeds readily so I only had to plant once and - knock wood - haven't had the beetle problem since.