Sisyphus

 There are some tasks around the farm that make us feel like we're shoveling sand uphill.  One of these tasks is "end-of-winter clean-up".  Ice storms, heavy snow, and fierce winds cause many limbs to fall onto the ground, as well as the many trees that snap and break or fall over after being uprooted. This weekend, a small, dead ash tree fell on one of our pasture fences.

Yesterday, (Hubbs was at the dentist) being a sunny 65 degree day, gave me the inspiration to start the task of cleaning up.  I grabbed my little chain saw (yes, it's my very own small version) and got busy cutting limbs off of trees that had fallen.  

It's one of those tasks that we will never finish.  We'll get things cleaned up, and then next time it storms, there will be another clean-up to do.  It's an integral part of life on a farm in the woods!

Next on my list was to pick up the branches and sticks that had dropped onto the grass.  This task definitely is the most challenging - thanks to Forrest's love for sticks.  This is how it goes.  I pick up a stick and throw it into the woods... and no matter the size, Forrest retrieves it.


The only way to stay ahead of the game is to always throw several sticks at one time.  That way, he retrieves one of them, and the net gain remains in my favor!  Like I said... shoveling sand uphill!


Forrest is not the only disrupter on the farm, however.  These girls....

who venture far away from their flock, love to come down and dig up any exposed garden areas. 

 At the end of autumn, Hubbs covered the ground of this garden with about 10 inches of compost to serve as insulation for the dahlias that I had planted that summer.  Taking a cue from our local Amish gardeners, I decided to do this rather than to dig up the dahlias and replant them in the spring.  But, as you can see here... the chickens have scratched their way through this garden and sent all of the compost flying.

Task number three for yesterday was to sweep all the compost back into the garden.  Yup, that's me...rolling that boulder up that hill!

Task number four was to bring the horses back to the barn for their grain.  Two were waiting at the gate, ready to go.  


Of course, the other was the whole way across the pasture with no intention of heading home.  

I sent Forrest to get things moving.

Even he had no influence.  

There's no doubt about it - we get plenty of exercise each day... the animals see to it that we do!

By the end of morning, list finished, I settled down to snuzzle with the animals for a bit.

As I snuzzled with the donkeys, Forrest cuddled with his bestie - Pete. 

 And while we are on the subject of Pete - he's the heaviest cat we have ever had.  

You might remember how long and thin he was as a youngster.  Well... he has filled out now.  He is long and chunky.  I have not taken a scale out to the barn, but he feels like he weighs twenty pounds!

Forrest just loves Pete... and Pete seems to love him back!

Sadly, that was the end of the sunshine for this week.  In spite of the clouds moving in, Jack and I took a little time for the season's first bike ride (at home). 

 We rode 11 ½ miles and did not encounter a single car.  That's the joy of riding in the countryside!


  I've missed the daily rides that we had on our trip.  And though our countryside still looks like winter's end... I know that spring is not far away.  I saw my first robin!!

Comments

Marcia LaRue said…
The daily chores definitely keep you two in great shape!
OMG ... the pictures of Forrest and Pete are just too precious! 💕
Jacky said…
OMG the pics of Forrest and Pete are adorable!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
forrest and pete give me endless smiles. the robins are entertaining all of us with their constant baths in the pond.
Pam said…
I hope I am not the only one who had to google the title of the blog today! -Pam from CA
Anonymous said…
Your chicken gals have been very busy. I I found using mesh screen laid flat on the ground makes it more difficult for animals to dig try it.
This N That said…
You be careful with that little chainsaw. It may be little but it's mighty!
Forrest is a great helper especially picking up sticks. You just need to train him what to do with them when he gets them. He needs to put them in the right place. Good luck with that.
I did not dig up my dahlias and they bloomed for four years.
I love the Forrest/Pete pictures. Mollie and Zoey were like that.. Animals are the best.
THE BEARDED ONE said…
THANK YOU DEAR LADY...LOCE THE PICS AND COMMENTARY...WONDERFXUL...SOOOOOOOOOO VERY ENJOYABLE...TANKIS AGAIN AND AGAIN....WE ARE HAVING THE SAME TYPE OF WEATHER IN MIDDLE TENN THAT YOU FOLKS ARE IN PENN... HAVE A GREAT REST OF THE DAY...HUBBS IS SURE LUCKY TO HAVE YOU..YOU NEVER SEEM TO STOP WORKING AND TAKING CARE OF EVERYTHING WHEN HE IS NOT AVAILABLE...AWESOME...KEEP SMILING..IT IS RAINING HERE TOO !!!!!!!!!!
Just love those pics of Forrest and Pete. and love the fact that you can ride your bikes for that far and not meet a car! Too awesome! This Sat. night we will Spring Ahead one hour....can't wait for that extra daylight! Take good care.