Is This Spring?

It's a rainy Wednesday morning.  Typically, I write each post in the late afternoon or early evening - as a way of remembering the best parts of the day.  Today, however, with the risk of losing power or internet as storms and high winds sweep across our area, I am writing this early.  As I write, thunder rumbles outside my window.  Regardless, I have a few leftover moments from yesterday that needed sharing! (as well as a few from today!)

I'm telling myself that this 54 degree morning is not Spring - not yet - but perhaps just a false spring at the end of an unusual winter.  March, typically, can bring just about any type of weather - so I am preparing myself for extremes and will be grateful for anything less than that!

We are well into the season of mud around here.  

The snow has melted, leaving the soil super-saturated.  The rains just run off... causing the pond and streams to swell.  Ultimately, our river will swell as well.

 

I dressed this morning in freshly laundered rain gear.  Unaware that there was still a layer of ice right in front of the barn overhang (underneath which I was feeding the horses) - my feet went out from under me and down I went.  No worries - unhurt - but my clothes?  Well...

It's quite possible that Forrest is my spirit animal, for he, too, cannot keep himself clean!

Unlike Annie, who never gets dirty - even under all of the same circumstances.

A quick swim in the pond...

followed by a good shake, sets everything aright again... at least for Forrest.  Personally, an early morning swim in the pond holds no allure.


Yesterday, (while I was hunting and gathering at the grocery store) Hubbs was cutting all of the wood pieces for 7 bat houses that the Girl Scouts are going to assemble.  Hearing some activity in the dry lot, he shot this video...  I thought you might enjoy.  You can also view it HERE on YouTube, if it doesn't load below.


Keep smiling and have a great day!!

PS: to answer a few questions about our bike trip... We rode 30 to 40 miles every day.  The terrain was very hilly with some very steep climbs - however, we had E-assist bikes, so, although we got a great work out - we were actually able to make it to the top of those climbs!

As for our animals... I am under no romantic notion that our farm animals miss us.  They love the one who feeds them.  However, as far as the dogs are concerned... it's a whole different matter.  Luckily, we have house sitters who come and stay with the dogs so that their daily routine stays the same.  Anna, who does our farm chores for us takes Forrest along with her so he gets some extra exercise.  Before we leave, when the suitcases are getting packed, Annie and Chester act a little sad.  And when we arrive back home, each has their own greeting.

Chester:  [relieved]"Phew!  I thought maybe you'd left us forever!"
Annie:  "I knew you'd come back - what took you so long?"
Forrest:  " I had so much fun while you were gone, but I'm so, so, so happy you are home!"

Comments

Karla said…
I wondered about those hills. Not sure I could have done 30 to 40 miles a day without e assist! Moonie looks at Forrest as if to say, "Um, just NO." and Ollie is a very patient horse with Forrest! It's like having a pesky kid brother. So sweet.
THE BEARDED ONE said…
AWESOME...AS USUAL...THAT FORREST COUD GET HIMSELF KICKED...BBUT..THE HORSES SEEM TO KNOW THAT HE IS NOT A THREAT....SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO VERY HAPPY THAT YOU FOLKS ARE BACK AND THRILLED FROM THE GREAT TRIP....I SURE MISSED THE PICS AND MESSAGES YOU SEND..SO ENTERTAINING AND INTERESTING...THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO VERY MUCH...KEEP SMILING AND HAVE A SUPER FINE WEEK...SURRE HOE THE STORMS ARE NOT AS BAD AS THE WEATHER FOLKS SAY I WILL BE...THANK YOU AGAIN AND AGAIN FOR THE TROUBLE YOU GO TO TO MAKE OUR DAY !!!!!!!!
This N That said…
It's not spring yet..... Almost!
You were out of place all spanking clean. You needed to be dirty like everybody else... I think you would have gotten dirty sooner or later anyway.. Glad that you did not get hurt.
Love the video. Red seems pretty tolerant!
I'm sure the barn animals were happy that you were back as well. I am anyway. Hugs