The Wee Hours

I awoke early yesterday morning, and while the rest of the house was still sleeping, Forrest and I headed out to do morning chores (in the dark!)  I knew that the sun would rise before I had finished and I was hoping for a remarkable sunrise.


Sadly, that didn't happen.  But I did enjoy the peace of the pre-dawn hour... when the world changes from dark to beautiful shades of blue. 

 I walked the horses up to the upper pasture and noticed that the ground is finally starting to solidify again.  Last week's rain had made everything so soggy - but thankfully it is beginning to dry out - just in time for this coming Saturday's predicted snow storm.  It is still unclear just how much snow we will receive here on the farm, but it does look as though we will have a bit.

After getting the horses to the upper pastures and cleaning up the night's accumulation of manure, it was clearly time to feed the cats.

They were all very keen on getting my attention and luring me into their breakfast room.

I finished up barn chores just in time to see the guineas leaving their nightly roost -  the maple tree behind the barn - 

flying down to the ground to begin their daily perimeter check.


How I love rising early and greeting the day this way.  It is so peaceful at this time of day (aside from two boisterous donkey who bray for their breakfast!). I can think of no better way, for me, to start my day than outside with my animal friends... cool, fresh air filling my lungs and a sense of contentment in caring for these precious souls.

After chores, I headed home to find a fire burning in the fireplace - such a cozy place to return to!  Jack and I made breakfast and then I finished this puzzle that I have been working on for the past 3 days.  I had found it while Christmas shopping and knew that it would be the perfect activity to help me slow down a little after the holidays.  And, of course.... mushrooms!  I couldn't resist it!

After breakfast it was time to bring the horses back to the dry lot.  We decided that after that task was done we would take the dogs for a walk in the woods.  On our way, we noticed the clouds... fair weather cumulus clouds - some of which had been blown laterally with upper winds.  Jack always identifies clouds for me.  He's a member of the Cloud Appreciation Society.  If you have time, you might enjoy their website.  They also have a presence on social media.  It might open your eyes to a whole new realm to observe and appreciate!


By the time we were halfway into our walk, new clouds blew in and with them some precipitation.


At first I thought it was snow,


 but close inspection revealed tiny ice crystals.


This weekend should be a fun one for Forrest with the impending snow.


This boy is non-stop fun...


and oh, how he loves his sticks!

Comments

daisy g said…
How marvelous to come back home to a roaring fire.
We are hunkering down for the predicted freezing rain event here in the Piedmont. Time to begin a new puzzle!
Stay safe.
Csnook said…
I am looking forward to the snow and so is my dog, Ranger. He LOVES snow! He would be outside for hours in it, if he was allowed. Happy Friday!
Timber loves sticks too! When we could walk with him in the woods or field edges, he invariably would find the most huge 6’ long sticks and run with wild abandon. We had to watch carefully as he would come racing up to us and whack us in the legs with it as he raced by! Just showing us his wonderful prize! 😂
This N That said…
Sorry about your sunrise..Not a cloud in the sky this AM! Lovely to come hom to a warm fire..cute puzzle..
I hope Forrest gets his snow tomorrow..I don't think we will get much..
Sticks and dogs seem to go together..
Stay safe tomorrow..
THE BEARDED ONE said…
GIRL...YOU ALWAYS HAVE SOME I=OF THE MOST AMAZING THOUGHTS ABOUT THE CLOUDS AND EVERY PIC YOU SHOW US...WE ARE IN THE COLD WEATHEER SPELL..STAYING IN THE LOW 30'S TO MID 40'S.. THAT KEEPS IT KINDA NIPPY AND WHEN THERE S WIND IT FEELS 15 TO 20 DEGREES COLDER...HAVE A SUPER FINE WEEKEND...WE WILL BE EATING CATFISH AT HOMESTEAD ABOUT 4:15 THIS AFTERNOON...OUR GRANDSON WHOM WE RAISED LOVES IT AND ONE SON AND A DEAR FRIEND WILL BE EATING W/US...HAVE A SUPER FINE WEEKEND AND KEEP SMILING !!!!!!!!
Hope you get your predicted snow.....we might catch an inch or two tonight. We sure could use the snow here so the usual snowmobilers and skiers, etc. can come up for fun this winter!
I wasn't surprised to see you put together a puzzle about mushrooms! All your animals are so sweet....I especially love your kitties! Have fun keeping warm and cozy by the fireplace...