Mornings

Here on the farm, mornings are definitely the busiest time of day.  All of our animals make a front and center appearance, eager to have the first meal of the day.

For Moonie and the rest of the horses and ponies, that means a quick trip to the upper pasture for some grazing time.

Forrest runs along side with glee... not chasing, just joining in the celebration of the rising sun.

Lately, though, when it is time to bring the horses back to the barn, I have had to put Forrest inside the garden fence.  

Moonie and the littles are not a bit spooked by this energetic ball of fluff; but our ponies, Donnie and Scarlet, refuse to let me catch them when Forrest is running around in their pasture.  I'd rather not spend the time nor the energy in chasing them around, so Forrest is corralled, instead.

Lately, the donkeys have refused to go out into the front pasture for grazing.  They stand in front of the open gate and bray their disapproval at the lack of grass in that area.  They hold out, instead, for a flake of hay that invariably comes.  Spoiled?  Of course!

Yesterday, when I stopped by the pig yard to change Ginger's water, she pushed her way out through the gate and went trotting off to the treat box.

Of course, it's not hard to get her back where she belongs - it just takes a couple of graham crackers.  She's  a very smart pig who knows exactly how to get what she wants!

Yesterday, Hubbs (he's not yet fully well, but feeling a bit better) and I finished putting the vegetable garden to bed for the winter.

  All of the boxes are nestled beneath a nourishing blanket of year-old, worm-filled compost.

For those curious as to whether Forrest would swim in the winter.  Yesterday provided that answer.  It was 25 degrees yesterday morning.  I headed down to the pond to feed the ducks, and before I could even bring the gator to a stop, Forrest had jumped right into the pond and started swimming.

He ran around for the rest of chores not bothered in the least by his dripping fur.  This boy is a cold weather lover!  I cannot wait for our first snowfall.  Now that will warrant some video footage!

After this weekend's eagle attack, the runner ducks are now safely sequestered in their yard.  It might be a little boring for them, but certainly a lot safer until the eagle moves on to another hunting territory.

Yesterday morning as I walked into the barn, I caught sight of a rather chubby light orange cat zooming from the hay room, through the shop, and flying up the stairs to the hayloft.  It all happened way too fast to catch a photo.  But, I have no doubt it was the same kitty that appears in many of our game camera photos from the cat stall where food and water are always available.  I've named this fellow, Creamsicle.


 Lastly, in this week when gratitude stands at the forefront of our minds, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank those of you who share your own thoughts in the comments.  Although comments are never expected, I want you to know how much they mean to me.  There are those of you who show up each day and share your own stories and I look forward to hearing from you... wondering if you are ok when you don't comment.  Please understand, I am not asking for more comments - I only want to convey how appreciative I am for those who stop by for a chat.  You are my "neighbors across the fence" in my rural world where neighbors are few and far between.  I cherish the few who are physically nearby as well as all of you, who live on the other side of that internet fence.  Life is so much richer when shared with others.  Thank you for giving me the privilege of sharing mine with you.  And than you for sharing yours with me!💗

Comments

The JR said…
I love your blog but rarely comment. I check to see what adventures are happening every day. We have much in common horses, chickens, ducks, cats and dog. Your weather is so different there than here in the Deep South of Mississippi.
Have a great holiday and take care
daisy g said…
Bev, you cannot know how much joy your blog posts give me. I have dreamed of having a farm for a while now, but don't see that happening for me, so your farm is a way for me to "feel" the farm life. Whenever you are moved to share your stories, I'll be reading. Blessings to all and healing to Jack.
sillygirl said…
It is rather one-sided, isn't it - we enjoy hearing about your lives but you know nothing of ours. I enjoy other commenters too. I was born on a farm and one of my brothers had a dairy farm where the whole family would have reunions - we are in Washington state. So I often share your writing with my niece and sister-in-law that still live there - no longer a dairy but sort of a family compound. Know that you are being heard and enjoyed. By the way my brother said pick the dog that comes to you and sits on your foot.
Ann said…
Beverly, your posts always call out the best in me, especially when I don't really feel like giving the day my best. And you inspire me to continue to think about how to better serve my three goats and 5 hens, all the gardens and wild ones who live here too.
So, thank you and a blessed Thanksgiving to you.
Jeannie said…
Have a fun lunch date with Hubbs and my best wishes to him for a complete and speedy recovery. I am thankful for your blog and I appreciate the time you take to write to us. As for our new puppy, he keeps me running and awake, but I love having him. He has certainly changed the routine around here!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT I LOVE THE PICS AND THE COMMENTS YOU MAKE...I WAS BORN AND RAISED ON A FARM..WELLLLLLTRULY THREE FARMS...THE ONE WHERE WE LIVED...THE ONE MY DADDY GREW UP ON
(BELLS BRANCH)AND THE ONE ON MILL CREEK THAT DADDY BOUGHT FROM BEB JAMES...WE WORKED THREE FIELDS ON THE BELLS BRANCH FARM...WATERMELONS ON THE ONE RUNNING BESIDE THE CREEK...THE ONE WHERE WE GREW SUGAR CANE AND MADE MOLASSES...THEN ON MILL CREEK...WE ROTATED THE CROPS THERE...HAY...OATS AND CORN...I STARTED PLOWING THE FIELD ACROSS BELLS BRANCH WHEN I WAS 7 YEARS OLD ON A FARMALL CUB TRACTOR...WHEN WE BOUGHT THE MILL CREEK FARM...DADDY TRADED THE CUB FOR A SUPER A FARMALL BORED OUR ENGINE TO A C FARMALL...I STARTED DRIVING THE CAR WHEN I WAS 8 YEARS OLD...BY MYSELF...I LOVED DOING ALL THAT WORK..IT WAS FUN TO BE BY MYSELF AND TURNING GROUND OR DISCING AND THEN WHEN THE CORN CAME UP...CULTIVATING IT...DADDY SOLD THE TRACTOR AND THE FARMS WHEN I JOINED THE ARMY...I HAD A BROTHER BUT HE WASN'T TO TRUST WORTHY AND DADDY DIDN'T WANT TO GET HIM KILLED...SMILING...NOW WE OWN MY WIFES OLE HOME PLACE BUT I AM 81 AND MY HEART IS MAKING ME SLOW DOWN...SO IT IS JUST BUSH HOGGING THAT I DO NOW...HAVE A SUPER FINE DAY AND KEEP SMILING !!!!!!!
Jody Watts said…
Your blog means so much to your readers...during my teen-age years we lived on a farm, but I never really became a "farm girl" and moved to the city when I graduated from high school. Your blog provides me with lots of "farm memories". You are definitely one of the many blessings God has given me in my 86 years!
I love reading through your posts of farm life. Grew upon a farm and always wanted one. But I married a military man and when we left that we had a small farm with a few animals up until two years ago when we moved from Southern portion of NJ where all the garden state is really farms and came out here to Ohio to be near the younger grandchildren.
We are where we need to be for now but we are looking for a place with more land and not so very populated as this.
I have read your blog for years. Ever since we met on MJF. Look forward to it and understand those times when a break is needed. I hope you enjoy a wonderful lunch with your date and hope he is feeling 100% asap.
Mary said…
Hello from a finally cold and snowy New Mexico
A niece shared your blog with me over a year ago and I look forward to reading your musings each day. THANK YOU for taking the time to share! Your days are a frenzy of activity it seems. Never wasting one moment! WOW!!
May this season of Thanksgiving bring the brightest of days to you!!
One of my favorite outcomes of technology is coming to know a bit of someone's life far away from where I am.
As we all prepare for Thursday, remember -

"Alone we are unprotected but with another we can face the worst. Can a third be added? A rope of three strands is not easily snapped."
A VERY edited version of Ecclesiastes 4:9-12.
Vicki said…
Wishing you and Hubbs and all the wonderful residents of the farm a beautiful Thanksgiving holiday! Vicki in California ~
Karen said…
I don't comment much because - well I guess I don't think I have much to say:) But I SO enjoy your blog and sharing your wonderful part of the world. It's a quality blog (what a name:BLOG!) - I start my day with it. So a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family and hope Trail Boss Jack will feel a whole lot better so he can truly enjoy his turkey!
This N That said…
Putting your garden to bed is no small chore..
You are going to have to get Fprrest some ice skates...
Glad the runners are safe for now..
Is Creamsicle the same orange cat as the one around your house??
Yes, sharing is a gift and the best way to live life..I tend to not do something if I can't share it..What's the point??
You are indeed an inspiration to all of us..xxoo
Margy said…
I rarely take the time to comment even though each and every post is read and enjoyed!!! I even like to read the comments too - its like having lots of "ghost" friends! In this time of Thanksgiving I'd like to THANK YOU for giving us your time to share your life and those of the critters. I truly love them all. I wish you lived next door - I'd be helping everyday...4
Margy in KY
Brrr that makes me freeze looking at Forrest swimming in that water! He's quite the pup. I love the look of that Creamsicle.....hope he stays around awhile. I can't believe you have buttoned up your garden for the winter....I feel like I just watched you open it up and plant things! This must mean I'm getting older. Yikes! Bev, know that I love your blog and have loved it for years and will continue to look forward to reading it and enjoying it for as long as you do! I know it must be a ton of work for you and just know, it is greatly appreciated by me and by so many others. Wishing you all a very Happy Thanksgiving. This wish coming to you by the Granddaughter of 4 Pilgrims from the Mayflower. (My husband has the Indian side of the holiday!) Take good care and get well Hubbs!