Our New Normal

 It used to be that as the sun rose each morning, we would hear hungry grunts and squeals coming from the pig house as Ginger and MaryAnn would squeal their reminder for us to not miss their breakfast delivery.  This week, with MaryAnn gone, the pig house is silent.  Ginger still waits in front of the door to their house, as before, but now she does so silently.

It's just a little too quiet around here... and I think that Ginger notices it more than anyone.  She still maintains her normal routine... with a morning nap following breakfast.  Often times, she naps along the fence closest to Maven Haven.

I also notice that, where she used to mostly ignore us,  she now tries to get our attention 

and that of the horses and donkeys - when she is out in the pasture.  Faith is usually in the general vicinity,

 but Ginger seems a little bit lonely to me.  

Again, I might just be anthropomorphizing.  But, I worry. 

 My animals' mental health has always been as important to me as their physical health.  Whatever she is feeling at the present moment will surely pass as she gets used to her new normal.  Faith adjusted with time when Hope passed, so I am sure that Ginger will adjust as well.

Again, though, I worry.  

Ollie and Red have tried to help by visiting in the pig/sheep yard (translated: the grass is greener there!)

These cheeky, little horses think themselves quite clever sneaking under the fence.  

However, as soon as they catch the look of their "mother" (who's unimpressed), they take off at a gallop back out into the pasture where they are supposed to be.


Most mornings, we walk the horses up to the upper pastures and let the donkeys have the front pasture for a short grazing time.  


I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, that we are once again treating Chloe for sarcoid tumors of her neck.  She just finished her second round of topical chemotherapy and her tumor is shrinking.  We will check it again in a few days and if it is gone, we will be finished with the treatment for now.  She has been a very good patient... allowing me to place a halter on her and rub the chemotherapy cream on her neck.  We've been working with the halter and also the fly mask recently, and she has become much more amenable to the halter.  The fly mask?  Not so much.  For some reason, she just hates that and tried her best to remove it once it's on.


Baby steps!  

Jack and I started a new gardening project.  We have had this old wagon in our large arena for the past several years.  The question was... should we sell it or use it for something? 


Jack is going to remove the upright ends and build a garden box for the top of it.  I will repaint it and then we will plant it.  I think it will end up looking quite lovely when finished.  I'll be sure to show you when it's finished.

PS:  although storms moved through our area yesterday, we received no rain.  And no... I will not resort to a rain dance.  (yet)

PS:  for those who asked about making paper.  This Website is a good place to start.  You will notice down the left hand side of their site are a whole lot of tutorials for beginners.

Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
it is so sad. i hope ginger adjusts quickly. my two are joined at the hip. we are supposed to get rain on monday! it can't some soon enough.
Anonymous said…
MY heart breaks for dear Ginger. I hope she will feel better after the loss of her friend, Mary Ann. I am glad she has such caring and loving humans to look after her.
Take Care,
kay
Marcia LaRue said…
Even poor Ginger has to have a time to mourn the absence of her sister! Hopefully you and Faith will fill that gap the best you can!
That wagon garden will be rather spectacular ... looking forward to seeing how you create it!
Everything and everyone will sort things out! Enjoy your day the very best way you can!
Debbie, aka Timber’s Mom said…
Bev, one of the things I enjoy about you is your sensitivity to your animal’s needs. You see them as complete, beautiful creatures and not as some think “just dumb farm animals”. At the same time you also don’t think of them as human, which they are not. They are special gifts from our Lord with needs and feelings we can relate to.

I am sure poor Ginger does miss MaryAnn and maybe doesn’t quite understand what has happened. Maybe she does…. She will find her way as we all do with the loss of a loved companion.

I had a cat once whose dad was hit by a car. Skipper was lost and his mourning was tremendous. One day we welcomed a new kitty into our family and Skipper was almost giddy. The difference was night and day.

Life and death is a path we all walk. It is a path we all learn from and help each other through. I know you, Hope, Hubby and the others will help Ginger adjust. ❤️
Debbie, Timber’s Mom said…
PS….Sorry, I meant Faith…🥰
THE BEARDED ONE said…
SOME FOLKS THINK THAT ANIMALS DO NOT GRIEVE BUT THEY SURE DO...WHEN I SOLD MY OLE WALKING HORSE...THE TWO LEFT CLEARLY MISSED ANGEL...HER FILLY..SHE BORE US...MISSED ANGLE THE MOST...WE ARE DRY AND ONLY 40% CHANCE OF RAIN LATE NEXT WEEK...SURE HOPE MY WATERMELONS SURVIVE AS WELL AS OUT TOMATOES...WE HAVE GREATLY REDUCED OUR GARDEN TO THE WATERMELONS AND FOUR TOMATO PLANTS...MY BRIDE SAYS NEXT YEAR IT IS ONLY THE TOMATOES..BIG SMILE..LAST YEAR I HAND ABOUT 120 MELONS...AND GAVE ALL BUT THREE AWAY...I/WE ALWAYS EAT THE THREE BIGGEST MELONS AND KEEP SEED FROM THEM...I GAVE A FELLOW 4 MELONS TO PLANT AND GAVE HIM SPECIFIC DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO PLANT AND GROW THEM...I HAD 8/9 IN THE 50+ RANGE..WE GOT'EM OUT LATE THIS TIME DUE TO MY HEART ISSUES...BUT..LAST YEAR I DID NTO GET THEM PLANTED UNTIL LATE JULY AND THEY DID AWESOME...SURE HOPE WE HAVE A BUMPER CROP THIS YEAR...I JUST LOVE GIVING THEM AWAY..HAVE A GREAT DAY AND THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR PICS AND AWESOME CCOMMENTARY !!!!!! KEEP SMILING !!!!!!!!!!
Sure hoping that Ginger will adapt soon to the new situation without MaryAnn. Thank you for giving her extra cuddles. Hope Chloe will do well for a long time after her latest treatments. Can't wait to see what you do with that wagon....I'm sure it will be a beautiful addition to your place!