Spring Things

 Ask me what I love about Spring - my reply will most likely be long-winded.  Let me count the ways....  First there is the obvious change in weather.  Second... abundant vegetation with the landscape gradually awash in color!  Spring serves a smorgasbord to the senses.  Sights, sounds, smells abound - and are so dramatically different from those of the past 6 months.  The earth awakens!  How miraculous is all of that!

The first of so many!

As if all of that weren't enough... Everywhere I go around the countryside, I see new born babies.  There are lambs, kids, calves, or foals at just about every farm.   I find myself stopping along the roadside quite often these days - pulling out the camera to take photos like this...

Please excuse the fence... I took this from the car as I was passing by.  Believe it or not... that was the size Ollie was when we brought him home to the farm 13 years ago.  Such a cute little chap!


Thirteen years later... still cute, still little - ok short and fluffy (chubby!).


Yesterday's weather was spectacular.  Still cool and windy - but, that sky... so clear and so blue!  Pete took advantage of the herd's nap time following their pasture time - perching himself on the back of his favorite steed.


He looks like royalty... Prince Pete.


The chickens spent their morning out of the wind - hanging out in the "coffee shop", a run-in shed that sits next to their coop.


It's their favorite hang-out... serving up a good portion of the day's gossip.  I was out in the pasture in front of them cleaning up manure when I took this photo.  Then, a couple hours later, at snack time....  They all do the 50 yard dash beside the gator to see what treats I have brought them.  I never tire of this sight... it makes me chuckle every single day!


Like my new hood ornament?


That's right, I drive a catty. (Cat-i-lac?)

The farm apothecary is busy once again.  Yesterday I started the beginnings of a new salve.  These are dried calendula petals that will soak in oil (in the dark) for the next 8 weeks - after which I will drain the infused oil to make a calendula salve.


The other project in the works for this spring is soap-making.  I have always wanted to learn to make soap from scratch, so I am going to learn the technique for cold-process soap with vegetable oils and lye.  I'll keep you posted on how that goes.

PS:  that Magic Emporium that we built last weekend was a kit.   If you like tedious, puzzle-type, activities - and don't mind having your fingers glued together, I highly recommend these miniature kits.

In case you wondered why Maggie came to the farm this past weekend without her sister Macy… it’s because Macy had made it to the State speech competition.  After 2 days of competitive speaking rounds against high schools from all over the state, Macy placed 10th in the State!!  Kudos to you, kiddo!!

Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
pete is the cutest jockey i have ever seen!
So Much Glory said…
I love watching spring’s advance! New miracles every day!
Pete’s a star! How ever did you manage before he shoes up??!
Calendula is lovely. I am excited to grow it myself this year.
Making soap is so satisfying. I’ve made ours for the past several years, and am very happy with it.
Marcia LaRue said…
That Pete ... he was born to ride the range on his trusty steed! LOL
Ahhhh-choo ... Spring! All those beautiful blossoms and buds and leaking sinuses!
I do love seeing everything coming alive and in bloom again ... I was so done with winter!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
SPRING HAS SPRUNG BUT WE ARE STILL BITTER COLD IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE...RED BUDS ARE BLOOMING AND THE DOGWOOD'S ARE BEGINNING TO SLOWLY OPEN...THE GRASS IS STARTING TO GROW..BUT..IT IS WAY TOO COLD TO MOW...HOPEFULLY WE WILL SOON WARM UP...I LOVE THE POST...THEY ARE HEART WARMING AND SO VERY INFORMATIBE...YOU ARE SUCH A BRILLANT LADY AND YOU ARE SURE SWEET TO SHARE YOUR GREAT KNOWLEDGE W/US...THANK YO SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO VERY MUCH...KEEP SMILNG AND HAVE A GREAT DAY !!!!!!!
This N That said…
I can just hear Pete saying "Giddy up!" What a cute picture..Nice to have the choice between Moony or a Catty..I know you are enjoying this day..
Wow....you're getting dandelions already! I wish we were so lucky. That Pete sure does get around doesn't he. So cute. Congrats to Macy on doing so well at a State Speech tourney! Isn't it cute how your chickens come running for treats! I guess they're not much different from other animals, not to mention people.
Katmom said…
The thought of calendula salve sounds wonderful… oh and guess what??? My wee crocus are poking their head out of the soil and blooming… I think you are right,,, Spring is here!!��������
I wish I lived closer. I use to make and sell soap for 9 years. I’d be able to teach you. 😍
No dandelions here yet, but they aren’t far.

Lisa
Spring Peeper Farm