Feeling Inspired

Mornings in the pasture at this time of year are nothing short of heavenly.  


I love watching my equines as they graze on the hay that I put out and then turn to foraging.


The daffodils have begun to open.


The sight of them makes me so happy.  As the weeks pass, many different colors and varieties will open.


Yesterday morning's sky was a lovely blue... but was soon overtaken by clouds (with rain impending.)


All of the equines are beginning to lose their winter furry coat.  It won't be long before they all look sleek and shiny again.  Shedding has little to do with the weather - but is mostly dependent upon the length of daylight hours.


Which makes perfect sense, because we are still experiencing some very cold weather... especially at night.


Aren't Red's blue eyes lovely?  He truly is the perfect little man... calm, with an easy-going temperament and a willingness to do whatever is asked of him.  This little fellow gives no back-talk (unlike his half-brother, Ollie.)


At the base of our front pasture is a small grove of locust trees.   From the looks of them, I fear they have precious little time left.  


They lose a lot of limbs when the wind blows and all have many bracket fungi growing upon them - not a good sign in the long run.


As I sat in the front pasture observing the herd, the donkeys came over for a visit.  If there's any eating to be done, the horses can't be bothered with me.  But the donkeys... that's another story.  They will gladly trade eating for some attention.  As you can see, Pete stuck to my lap like glue to avoid getting stomped upon.


Moll cat is a whole lot more trusting... but then, she's spent a whole lot more time amongst equine legs over the years.  Pete prefers to be in the saddle over being on the ground.


I believe Chester is the only being on the farm who does not love Pete (or any other cat, for that matter).


He tries his hardest to ignore them.


Ah, Spring... every day something new pops up!  The purple crocus are following the yellow with more and more opening their cheerful faces towards the sun.


I did a bit of baking yesterday... black and white biscotti (chocolate/almond)...


and granola


I also mixed up a batch of sourdough English muffins which I will bake today.   Also, today I will mix up the dough for multigrain, seeded sourdough bread and will bake that tomorrow.  For some reason, Spring has inspired a nesting spirit within me.

Is it possible that the Easter Bunny has been here already?  I keep finding tiny eggs in the strangest of places. 


 Guinea hens do not make the most conscientious mothers!

Comments

daisy g said…
No doubt the birds will find the horse's hair some fine nest making material!

I wonder if Chester had an early run in with a cat before he came to BHA?

I have been making granola in the slow cooker and it is divine!

Enjoy the sunshine!
Carolyn said…
Mother Earth News (issue #317) has an article "Forage for Edible Mushrooms" that I think you and your readers might enjoy, Beverly.
Anonymous said…
Your biscotti looks delicious. Will you share your recipe?
Junebug said…
I've been in No. Idaho for over a week now helping family.I am so anxious to see what blooms are opening up in my yard! We have had a really cold winter so everything is slow. Even the annual Wooden Shoes Tulip Festivale is starting a week late. Think I need to bake some biscotti, look yummy!
This N That said…
Biscotti looks yummy..
Welcome home hubs.
You are a bit behind us in the flower department.
I'm sure the birds will find a use for the horse hair.
Welcome home Hubs!!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
SPEAKING OF THE WEATHER...IT FINALLY WARMED UP ABOUT MID-AFTERNOON AND IT WAS VERY WELCOME...IT DID RAIN RAIN RAIN...SLOW AND STEADY...WE ENEDED UP W/AN INCHAAND A HALF...BUT...TODAY IS A VERY PLESANT DAY..HIGH 70'S AND JUST A LITTLE SPRINKLE OFF AND ON...GIRLL YOU NEVER CEASE TO AMAZE ME AT ALL OF THE THINGS YOU DO...COOKING...TREES ... FLOWERS...ALL OF THE ANIMALS...YOU SEEM TO KNOW WHAT MAKES EVERYTHING TICK...I SURE ENJOY THESE SO VERY MUCH...THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR TIME AND EFFORT...THESE JUST MAKES MY DAY...KEEP SMILING AND ENJOY THE RETURN OF HUBBS !!!!!!!