A Day of Winter in the Midst of a Non-Winter

It seems that Mother Nature felt we needed a good dose of everything yesterday.  The day began with a magnificent sky... crimson, then pink, then purple, then gone - the last of the day's evidence that there truly was a sun up there somewhere.

Mid-morning, the snow began to fall...

sending some into a panic,

and others into shelter.


By early afternoon, the precipitation had morphed from snow, through sleet, into rain - turning slush into mud once again,


and the wise remained indoors.

Naturally, the herd became a soggy mess.  It's their choice.   I often wonder what wisdom horses find in enduring all manner of weather when there is no need.  We have ample shelter for all.

For me, it was the perfect day for baking bread.   I had dough fermenting on the counter overnight, and when I checked it in the morning, it had risen to the top and the container was about to burst. 

 As I opened the lid, there was the sound of a small explosion as all of the carbon dioxide given off by the yeast overnight escaped.  "BAM!"  

I split the dough in two and formed two loaves and baked it right away.  

Two perfect, delicious loaves of seeded multigrain sourdough bread.  Yummy!

I also spent a little time in front of the warm fire working on the current knitting project, almost finished, as I listened to a book on Audible.

Luckily, today will dry things up a bit as the temperature climbs back up into the mid 60's.  It's farrier day, today, so much of the morning will be spent at the barn getting the herd spruced up again.  Maybe I'll re-organize the greenhouse after that.  A few naughty kitties have sent most of my neatly stacked potting supplies flying over the winter.  I feel like starting a few early seeds - so, cleaning the greenhouse is imperative.

Comments

Marcia LaRue said…
It snowed most all day yesterday, so this morning it is looking like a winter wonderland again ... I got up just in time to capture a Sundog picture! It's 2° here at 7:30 a.m.
Pete is looking quite regal as he watches you watching him!
I'm so done with the crazy weather!
This N That said…
We didn’t get any of that. A little sleet a little drizzle and it was all over. today is making up for it. Enjoy! I guess it will just bring you more mud.. Have a happy day…hugs!!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
I WAS SORTA OUT OF THE LOOP YESTERDAY...I HAD TO HAVE MY 80 YEAR OLD HEART SHOCKED BACK INTO RYTHUM...THE DIFIBULATOR HAS NOT BEEN DOING THAT TOO WELL...SO I AM ON LIGHT DUTEY FOR A DAY OR THREE...SMILING...WE HAVE 80 DEGREE WEATHER TODAY AND WE HAVE BEEN DOING A LITTLE YARD WORK...DID LOTS OT IT TUESDAY..FULL DAY OF TRIMMING...SPRING IS SPRINGING IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE AND I AM NOT SUPPOSE TO DO MUCH FOR 2/3 DAYS...BUT I HAVE BEEN OUT DOING SOME CLIPPING W/THE BATTERY POWER HEDGE CLIPPERS AND THE HEAVY DUTY LOPERS...WHEN I HAD HORSES THEY'D GO INTO THEIR STALLS TO EAT THE SWEET FEED..THAN HEAD OUT IN A DRIVING RAIN OR SNOW/ICE STORM RATHER THAN STAY INSIDE...BUT THAT THICK COAT OF HAIR I GUESS KEPT THEM WARM...LOVE THE POST...BEAUTIFUL SUNRISE AND AWESOME SKYS...KEEP SMILNG AND HAVE A SUPER DUPER DAY !!!!!!
Jeannie said…
Great snow picture of the donkey girls! That bread looks so good. What a treat. Speaking of treats, I guess the dogs enjoyed a few trimming treats with the farrier there today.
What beautiful pictures of your colorful skies! and then some snow and then some rain....you sure do get the weather....but not a lot of winter this year, I guess. Oh your bread looks yummy! And your fireplace always looks so cozy. I'm sure the Spring bug will be biting you soon and why wouldn't it, with the amazing weather you've been having this winter. Love your blog!