For The Love...

One of the best things that I have experienced in this life time has been living here on the farm.  We built our home here 13 years ago, moving from the suburbs to the rural countryside, and I have never had a sorry moment.  Each morning I awaken grateful for the life that I live - eager to watch the sun rise over all of the souls that I love so dearly.

And though caring for these souls is a commitment that limits our freedom to a certain extent, I have found such joy amongst my animals.  Joy - that I would not trade for freedom, or travel, or anything that I can imagine.

They are all a part of my family... every single furred and feathered soul that calls this farm "home".   I have learned so much about animal emotion and intelligence over the years.  We humans don't give them enough credit.  

I am occasionally asked which animals are my favorites.  That's a hard question to answer, for each of them has their own unique personality and qualities.  But, I suppose, if I am being completely honest, I have a special soft spot in my heart for my pigs.

I have loved them since they were just small piglets.  They have lived on the farm nearly all of the ten years of their lives.  They are as smart if not smarter than dogs and equally personable.  They are affectionate, and their affection goes way beyond the services that we provide!

They are friendly to all of the other farm animals (sometimes much to the horses' chagrin).  Their friendliness goes beyond just tolerance, for they seek out the company of other species.

Belly rubs and massages are their very favorite thing (ok... after food) and they don't care who provides the service.

There's nothing better than a cat with kneading paws... especially if you are a pig with very thick skin!

Bobby loves providing a cat scan.

These inter-species moments are especially precious to me!

I spent a little time yesterday afternoon picking purple dead nettle.  I am going to dry it and make it into a salve for dry, chapped skin.  I'll share more of that process when the time comes.


My goal for the upcoming warmer weather is to become more educated on all of the indigenous plants that can be foraged, both for food and for medicinal purposes.  There's a wealth of un-tapped nutrition that this world has to offer.  I plan to start taking advantage of it.  I'll share what I learn along the way.

Today marks the beginning of another trip around the sun for me.  I've now had 65 of them and I can scarcely believe it!  What a wonderful life it's been.  I can't wait to see what the next 65 years hold for me!  Because I am going to spend today in celebration, I am going to take one day off from blogging and will not be here to chat with you tomorrow.

Have a lovely weekend, and we will be back with more Tales on Monday.

Much love and hugs... from the farm.

















Comments

colleen said…
Happy Birthday wishes to you!! Have a fantastic day. I'll be checking in on Monday :) xoxoxo
Misty Kolva said…
Happy Birthday! Enjoy your day!
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day and weekend! Marcia
Unknown said…
Happy Birthday!! Hanny.
It's a wonderful farm life! Wishing you a very happy birthday! With best wishes for many more. See you on Monday!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
happy birthday bev! my daughter's was yesterday. i think when the earth was created everything for healing was created too. we just need to find it.
Lynne said…
Happy Birthday Beverly!
πŸŽΆπŸŒΈπŸŽ‰πŸŒ·πŸŽ‚πŸŒ·πŸŽ‰πŸŒΈπŸŽΆ

Loved the “cat bliss kneading routine” on the piggie!
Noting total appreciation! ❤️
Jeannie said…
Happy Birthday!
Maureen M said…
Happy birthday! Enjoy your special day with all your farm friends!
Tama said…
Happy Birthday Bev and have a wonderful weekend!!!!!!!
sheryl said…
Happy Birthday!
Nicole said…
Happy Birthday!!!!
daisy g said…
Enjoy your special day. We are ALL so glad that you were born!
Blessings...
Judy said…
Happy Birthday
Hope you have a wonderful day.
I know what you mean about farm life
We are defenitlty more tied down but i wouldn't trade it for anything either. Cant imagtion any other life.
Enjoy your blog so very much.
Unknown said…
Happy Birth Anniversary! Hope it is a wonderful day and a lovely year ahead. Blessings, Lisa G in TN
Susan said…
Happy Happy Birthday!!!
Jody Watts said…
Happy birthday, Bev! Have a great weekend and thanks again for sharing life on the farm for us!
Sally said…
Sally said....

Happy Birthday Bev! I hope you have a wonderful day.I love your blog, read it every morning, helps me get my day start.I love the picture with the cat on the pig.
Junebug said…
Happy Birthday! I do believe this is the 12th year in a row wishing you a wonderful day! I also plan wishes for ano/her 65 years, lol!
Marcia LaRue said…
πŸŽ‰ Happy Birthday πŸŽ‰ Here's hoping you have a fantastic day filled with all the good and wonderful people and critters you can!πŸŽ‚πŸ¨πŸŽ
See you on Monday!! ❤️
Tracy said…
Happy Birthday πŸ₯‚
Agent X, not said…
Happy birthday! Enjoy your birthday(s) off, and do something fun.
woody said…
It is a privilege to have this opportunity to wish you a Happy Birthday Beverly. Daily we use what you made for us. Of course that means we think of you often and count our blessings! Thank you seems appropriate for this wonderful blog you tirelessly create for all of us. Enjoy your this special day!!
Dee J. Hartman said…
Dearest Bev,
Wishing you a Happy Birthday today! BTW, I look forward to leaning about your salves and medicines from the earth. We certainly have that same interest! I have made an elixir out of wild lettuce, called opium lettuce. (a very common weed!) I also put lamb's quarters in my salads, I rub plantain on a bee sting, and have taken an interest in wild mushrooms!
I am sure that you know a lot more than I about various uses of wild plants and I can learn from you!
I am unfamiliar with the uses of Purple Dead Nettle. I recall pulling it out of the edge of my garden, and I think it has a bad dirt-like odor. Is that the same plant of which you are speaking?
Anyway, hoping for many continued healthy years, for you, Bev! Again, Happy birthday from an-almost 78 year old reader of your blog! ~Dee Hartman
This N That said…
Happy Birthday..A special day for a special person..Enjoy!! xxoo

Wishing you a Happy Birthday, Bev! Enjoy your special day to the max. Your blog is one I read faithfully so I'll be looking forward to Monday's news & beautiful pictures.
A very Happy Birthday to you Beverly! Have a wonderful day and maybe you can book a relaxing cat-kneading session with your favorite cat-masseur! I walk by a whole bunch of Purple Nettle every day so guess who's going to harvest them and wait for your salve tutorial?!
Bernie said…
Happiest of birthdays! The best is yet to be!
Barbara Beach said…
A very Happy & Blessed Birthday to you!
Leslye said…
Happy Birthday I hope your Birthday is as wonderful as you and the coming year brings as much joy as you bring all of us!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRECIOUS LADY...YOU ARE SURE A JEWELL..ONE OF A KIND...THESE ARE SO INFORMATIVE AND VERY ENJOYABLE.... THANK YOU AND SURE HOPE YOU HAD A GREAT DAY-OF-BIRTH CELEBRATION !!!!!! KEEP SMILING !!!!
Awww Happiest of Birthdays to you Bev! Have a wonderful weekend with your favorite characters there on the farm! You're a very young looking 65!
Happy, happy for your place and space and birthday! I had my 74th on the 23rd. we are moving to our own space...hopefully with alot of critters passing by.
PandaLover0205 said…
Happy Birthday Bev. May you have many more. God bless you.
nuri said…
Happy Birthday and my best wishes for you: May the next 65 years :-) (why limit ourselves!!) of your life be just as healthy and happy and wonderful as the first!