Farewell February

 When you walk as one with nature, nature speaks to you.  We were meant to live on the earth in this manner, but somehow we drifted away from nature.  We dove into the man-made world - and drifted further and further away from nature.  As a result - for many, nature stays silent.

I am awestruck by the animals of the wild and their ability to predict the weather.  Nature speaks to them and they always hear.  When last we chatted on Friday I showed you some photos of how busy our bird feeders had been on Thursday, and wrote "This kind of activity level usually portends wintry precipitation."

Friday morning, we were greeted with this:

We had a wintry mix of precipitation, which left everything covered with a blanket of white, which was subsequently followed with freezing rain, which left everything covered in ice.

Lovely, yes.

Thankfully, it melted in short order, because these upper-house girls flat-out refused to venture into it.  They've had enough.  "We'll take mud up to our knees... but no more ice, please!"

The hens from the lower house simply walked around the corner to the coffee shop, where they spent their time, awaiting the sun.

I often wonder what the goats think about being surrounded by a bunch of gossiping hens!

By Saturday, the snow was gone, and Sunday brought a sunny day.  The ducky boys have been spending their outside time visiting the girls through the fence.  The girls seem to enjoy their company, especially now that they are not constantly under attack.

Since there is very little nutrition left in the pastures, the horses get extended grazing hours.  By the time we return and ring the bell for them to come to the gate, they are all ready to return to the barn and come running down to meet us.

Carrot treats are given out and everyone is clipped back onto lead ropes for the trek back to the barn.

Life has been very slow here these past days.  Jack is still under the weather.  I have not succumbed.  I did a home test yesterday and am still testing negative.  For that I am very thankful.  Illness makes doing farm chores difficult.

For part of the weekend, I insisted that Jack stay indoors and not help with chores.  Of course that was met with protest.  By Saturday evening, he had had it with house arrest and insisted on helping with chores.  It's hard to keep a good man down... or so they say!


As for me... I've started shawl #4 (Shawl #3 went to a good home) -


This one has a unique color work and shape.  

I also spent a little time practicing painting.  Two steps forward, three steps backwards.  I know that many hours of practice are in my future.


I also finished up a project (with a bit of help from Jack) that I started earlier this week.  I had finished this live-edge black walnut plank and attached risers to the bottom.  Then, with some help from Jack, we added the handles to each end.  This will serve as a base for dining room table decor.  


Our dining room table is extra large.  This makes finding the right sized elements for table decor difficult.  I love the look of live-edge wood, so I came up with the idea for making this tray.  Today I will change out the candle jars for black iron candlesticks with beeswax tapers.


Today we bid February "adieu!"… the last full month of Winter.

With March comes the beginning of another garden season.  I can hardly wait!

Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
the colors in that shawl are gorgeous! and i love your live-edge platter. i know about the problems of those long tables! fortunately, mine has leaves but even without them it is very long. spring is certainly on the way, there are buds on everything. i hope jack feels better soon!
colleen said…
Hoping Jack will be good as new shortly. Your table tray is gorgeous! The new shawl is very pretty and looks so soft. I don't see a thing wrong with your paintings. I think the glass looks 3D and it's just sitting on the paper pad. Keep well to you and speedy recovery to Jack. xoxox
Dee J. Hartman said…
I, like your animals, welcomed the warmer weather for that ice to melt. I am glad that your husband,Jack, has been able to help and am hoping for a quick recovery and that you do not get it. I like your table tray! I think you could have never found anything better to use. It looks perfect on your beautiful table! Each of the shawls that you make are as lovely as the next! You must be a fast knitter! Be safe!
(BTW, I was wondering how your solar heating is serving you this winter. Does it put a big dent in your electric bill? Just wondering…)
Mary said…
Showing us your decor and ideas is very special!! Thank you for a daily dose of nature’s medicine. Our world is unbalanced for sure and your early morning greeting is appreciated.
Lynne said…
Sorry to learn that your Jack has been ill . . .
Hope he is on the mend!

Your watercolor artistry looks wonderful . . .

Love your plank wood table piece . . . (with the handles too.)
Large “harvest sized table” needs a center piece like yours.
I do something similar for our dining table.
Finding a couple of old boards at a consignment shop has worked out perfectly.
I tend to use my planks in fall, early winter and change it up in spring/summer.

I am cheering in a March with less ice and snow.
It has been a bit ridiculous around here.
A few days ago we received another 4-6 inches of snow.
This “snow lover me” says, enough already!


Karla said…
I absolutely love the picture of the hens through the chicken wire!! Such a unique and beautiful perspective.
sillygirl said…
I absolutely love your tray - creative and beautiful and handy with the handles - I wouldn't have thought of that! Lovely!
This N That said…
Love the live- edge wood plank..Looks great on your table..it's perfect for there....I don't suppose it has a little sister...Probably a lot of work...Hmmm
Another pretty shawl!!
Painting takes a lot of time and practice...I tend to jump right in..Practice is not something I do well...Could be why I don't get better..
Great pictures in this post..the pine cone cone is a keeper..Paintable..
Hope Jack is feeling better...
Have a wonderful week

Anonymous said…
It's a hard time to go through even from afar.

Beautiful photos--especially the hens, and your watercolors are good, too. I've got some supplies but haven't got my nerve up to try again after so many years.

Hope Jack will not overdo--he'll possibly get what Mama called a "backset". Maybe you won't catch it!
littlemancat said…
Message to Jack - please listen to Bev! Rest,lots of liquids, and know that we're all thinking of you.
Mary
THE BEARDED ONE said…
AWESOME AS USUAL...I LOVE ALL FO THE ANIMALS AND SURE ENJOY YOUR COMMENTS...REFRESHING...THANK YOU FOR ALL THE WORK YOU PUT INOT THESE.. KEEP SMILING AND HAVE A SUPER WEEK !!!!! YOUR PAINTING IS GREAT...AND YOU HAVE SUCH TERRIFICE DECORATION IDEAS...YOU ARE SIMPLY AMAZING...PRAYERS FOR JACK !!!!!!
Dee J. Hartman said…
Karla, I really like that picture too,
the way you could see the hens
through the wire fence in a
diamond-shaped view! I
thought it was artisticly
planned!